Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa wait, what about ZOE3?

Oh yeah, Platinum Games. :lol

It's probably not a popular opinion, but the down-trotting of the series in the last few years just proves to me personally that he's become expendable as a director of the franchise. I honestly would rather the series come to a complete halt if were not getting MG1-2 remakes and no more Solid Snake games if it's just going to be the same old Big Boss garbage in, garbage out milking.

What? No way, I did not see that coming. He's still making Silent Hills though so, does that just mean he's just leaving KojiPro. That also makes no sense.

On Metal Gear, while I'd love more Solid Snake adventures I'm not sure his studio has proved themselves working in their own. Was Ghost Babel made without Kojima?

Ryan could give you an answer definitely, but I assume it was without Koji as director. MPO was without Koji and I think it's the last Metal Gear "Solid" game to be made.

It's probably not a popular opinion, but the down-trotting of the series in the last few years just proves to me personally that he's become expendable as a director of the franchise. I honestly would rather the series come to a complete halt if were not getting MG1-2 remakes and no more Solid Snake games if it's just going to be the same old Big Boss garbage in, garbage out milking.

I don't blame Kojima, he's made it clear that he never planned to further the canon beyond MGS2. If anything, it's our fault that he's still making these game. Didn't he mentioned something along the lines that MGSV was inevitable for Konami and that he just rolled with it by incorporating gameplay elements he always wanted to? (Open world, taboo themes)?

Ryan could give you an answer definitely, but I assume it was without Koji as director. MPO was without Koji and I think it's the last Metal Gear "Solid" game to be made.

Man. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. MPO was truly the last MGS game that felt like "MGS".

And yes, Ghost Babel wasn't made by Kojima, only produced by him just like MPO. It was written by the co-writer of MGS2 Tomokazu ***ushima. Ghost Babel is truly some of the best Metal Gear games.

Last edited:
I don't blame Kojima, he's made it clear that he never planned to further the canon beyond MGS2. If anything, it's our fault that he's still making these game. Didn't he mentioned something along the lines that MGSV was inevitable for Konami and that he just rolled with it by incorporating gameplay elements he always wanted to? (Open world, taboo themes)?

Man. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. MPO was truly the last MGS game that felt like "MGS".

:exactly:

He's finally gotten the clout he needed to fully stretch his legs with a gaming engine. I definitely don't see him having the love he used to for the series... or any at all. Since it's inception, I've always regarded the FOX engine being employed in V as a mere commercial for other devs to buy it from them.

It definitely comes back to MGS2. I think he left the bar too high for the series with the ending in Sons of Liberty, but he didn't have any thought on what to do with the series afterward. He assumed this is it, some other guy will come in and take the story to the future to it's conclusion. It's pretty evident that's the truth considering every question we had about all the ambiguous things that went on MGS2 were paved over with nanomachines. He didn't think it through, and just embellished a giant convoluted story in the process. I love MGS2, but it's Achilles heel is it's own ambition.

I hope after TPP they stop making Metal Gear games, or just make spinoffs that have nothing to do with the main story or Snakes, like MGS Rising.

I'd like to see the Metal Gear remakes but I can also live without them, and I wouldn't want Konami turning this series into something like the Resident Evil series.

:exactly:

He's finally gotten the clout he needed to fully stretch his legs with a gaming engine, I definitely don't see him having the love he used to for the series... or any at all. Since it's inception, I've always regarded the FOX engine being employed in V as a mere commercial for other devs to buy it from them.

You could say the same thing about the last two MGS games. MGS4 was definitely an audio-visual showpiece, made to take advantage of HD displays and blu ray storage space while Peace Walker was designed quite the opposite- making the biggest game out of the most little resources. It's clear that Kojima's main philosophy as of late is to play with the latest technology, regardless if it's MGS or something else. The last time he seemed truly passionate about MGS was MGS3 way back in 2004. :lol

I hope after TPP they stop making Metal Gear games, or just make spinoffs that have nothing to do with the main story or Snakes, like MGS Rising.

I'd like to see the Metal Gear remakes but I can also live without them, and I wouldn't want Konami turning this series into something like the Resident Evil series.

I wanna eat crow this September, as I'm had this MGS burn out since MGS4. C'mon Kojima, prove me wrong! :lol

Remember, everyone was wrong about MGR.

I'm in the same boat. If they want to put an end cap to the series with this one, fine by me. I'll take Raiden games for a few more years. But Konami isn't walking away from potential hundreds of millions of dollars. They're developing these games for the COD gamers. I'm not comparing V to COD, just that most gamers are on the level of COD numskulls and Konami doesn't care about being loyal to the roots of the series. They just want a profit, and they know the dudebros will eat up whatever they're given, praising Kojima as a messiah... that is if he's even involved with future projects.

Go ahead and look at Konami's release Wiki, they don't have anything aside from MGS and PES. They used to have TONS of games.

You could say the same thing about the last two MGS games. MGS4 was definitely an audio-visual showpiece, made to take advantage of HD displays and blu ray storage space while Peace Walker was designed quite the opposite- making the biggest game out of the most little resources. It's clear that Kojima's main philosophy as of late is to play with the latest technology, regardless if it's MGS or something else. The last time he seemed truly passionate about MGS was MGS3 way back in 2004. :lol

I wanna eat crow this September, as I'm hhaving a MGS burn out since MGS4. C'mon Kojima, prove me wrong! :lol

Also to me, the games don't "speak" anymore.

MGS1 was all about nuclear proliferation, which in it's own way has always been the backbone of the series. But it went beyond that to about genes, and not letting them define you.

MGS2 was all about 1984, and controlling society with an iron technological fist. But more than that, was about not letting the past control what you are, and what you will become.

MGS3 of course, wasn't as deeply layered as the previous two. But was more of a message about how the winds could change the sides allies in a conflict could change so easily, and the emotions a soldier faces on the battlefield.

MGS4... I really don't know what was being told there. I know it's all about senses and all, but that to me really didn't come through in the story to me.

MGS5, I know it's not out yet and it's about vengeance and "phantom pain", but I don't see how that can live up to the first two games in terms of depth.

Go ahead and look at Konami's release Wiki, they don't have anything aside from MGS and PES. They used to have TONS of games.

Doesn't Konami own Metal Gear? Koji is the creator, but I can't see him separating from the company and being allowed to go and shop out his own MGS game.

MGS1 was all about nuclear proliferation, which in it's own way has always been the backbone of the series. But it went beyond that to about genes, and not letting them define you.

MGS2 was all about 1984, and controlling society with an iron technological fist. But more than that, was about not letting the past control what you are, and what you will become.

MGS3 of course, wasn't as deeply layered as the previous two. But was more of a message about how the winds could change the sides allies in a conflict could change so easily, and the emotions a soldier faces on the battlefield.

MGS4... I really don't know what was being told there. I know it's all about senses and all, but that to me really didn't come through in the story to me.

MGS5, I know it's not out yet and it's about vengeance and "phantom pain", but I don't see how that can live up to the first two games in terms of depth.

Such a perfect summary of the state of the series, I don't need to add anything anymore. :goodpost: :clap

Doesn't Konami own Metal Gear? Koji is the creator, but I can't see him separating from the company and being allowed to go and shop out his own MGS game.

Yup, Kojima certainly doesn't own the rights to Metal Gear, I'm pretty sure he never did. It's just that looking at Konami's past release for the last 5-6 years, they seem to put their stock exclusively on MGS and PES for revenue, they don't invest in anything new anymore. Remember the TMNT games? Those were gold. :lol

I think MGS5 is supposed to deal with "revenge" and "racism", Skullface was created to represent both themes in the flesh for us gamers. I don't know how it will turn out, but I think it's just as important as MGS 1 and 2 themes.

I think MGS5 is supposed to deal with "revenge" and "racism", Skullface was created to represent both themes in the flesh for us gamers. I don't know how it will turn out, but I think it's just as important as MGS 1 and 2 themes.

I honestly hope so. I want it to be good, but as stated by Solidus, some of us feel like battered wives. I've become such a pessimist to the series that I always expect the worst. I know it won't be, but it can't turn out nearly as bad as PW.

While I think PW is easily the worst of the MGS games, it's very hard for me to bash it because I also think it's one of the best psp games ever made. If it would have been released on consoles, and that was the end product, I would have hated it. The story could have been better though, I can't blame that on hardware limitations.

That's the thing, as much as I rag on MGS4 and PW... they definitely pushed the hardware to the limit at the time they were released. They play extremely well, but the creative choices I take major issue with.

I agree with all of this but to me MGS4 is about America and to an extent the world's reliance on war and how people are always trying to sanatize it. It's also to me about how nations love their War Fighters until they don't need them anymore.

I agree with all of this but to me MGS4 is about America and to an extent the world's reliance on war and how people are always trying to sanatize it. It's also to me about how nations love their War Fighters until they don't need them anymore.

You do have that in there. But Kojima said multiple times it's about "sense", and I just don't see how SOP defined the game at all. It's just a byproduct of the story, and not defining it.

Back