Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last GZ kept us guessing up until the release of MGS V :lol. I really thought that Skull Face was going to be a complex and intriguing character. But, I didn't believe that his reasons for "revenge" and his hatred for Zero and Big Boss were well established. He was also relegated to sporadic cameo appearances, cassette tapes, and sequences of a lame death scene that robbed us of a boss fight. Overall, the game set-up some good premises that just fell completely flat in presentation.

Skullface, Eli, Mantis and Volgin were as deep as a Power Rangers villain. The fact that they had to shoehorn in Liquid kind ruins his character IMO. He's supposed to be like the Joker for Snake, you should never know too much about him. Also, he has no business holding a grudge against his father at such a ridiculously young age.

I thought the sound in MGSV was amazing, the soundtrack was amazing, and it probably has the best gameplay ever.

I'm just happy to see it getting all this recognition from award shows, usually the series gets overlooked in that department.

I can't wait to see what Kojima cooks up next. The wait for his next game is going to be excruciating though :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For real? Mind posting a track you find pleasurable because for the life of me, I can't find one good song even if you put a gun on my head. :slap

Ground Zeroes was amazing, I'm guessing that big feature Kojima talked about that has never been done before in gaming in regard to returning to Camp Omega got scrapped which is a shame.

Skullface, Eli, Mantis and Volgin were as deep as a Power Rangers villain. The fact that they had to shoehorn in Liquid kind ruins his character IMO. He's supposed to be like the Joker for Snake, you should never know too much about him. Also, he has no business holding a grudge against his father at such a ridiculously young age.

For real? Mind posting a track you find pleasurable because for the life of me, I can't find one good song even if you put a gun on my head. :slap

A track? I can post a bunch :lol

Disarmament is what I’ve been listening to the most currently

No need for me to post Sins of the Father and V has come to since I’m sure you’re probably familiar with those by now.

Heres another track from possibly my favorite scene in the game

Start of a Journey is quick but great, and comes from another one of my favorite scenes in the game

and this will probably be the last one I post because I have way too many tracks I like but this was one of the best, from another great scene

[video]shining lights even in death ost[/video]

When you also count all the music from GZ as well, MGSV has the best soundtrack in the series in my honest opinion.

Well, you do bring up a point that the songs from a soundtrack should set a specific tone for the scenes and the set-pieces. You should also be able to associate them from memory. But, the only song from MGS V that really stood out for me was the opening for "Afghanistan". It sounded like something from an old Spaghetti Western, when Venom Snake got onto his horse for the first time in the desert :lol.

I think MGS V was probably too subtle in its presentation compared to the other games, where you could clearly associate a song from a memorable scene. For example: when Naked Snake did his halo dive and the "Virtuous Mission" was playing in the background; when Snake and Ocelot were fighting on top of the Arsenal Gear at the tune of the MGS 1 "Encounter" track; when Raiden had to disarm all of the bombs on the Big Shell and Countdown to Disaster set the tone that time was running out.

I dunno, MGS V just didn't cut it for me in the music department, either.

i'm no audio nut so i can't comment on audio quality, but the MGSV soundtrack sounded more like he wanted to go Nolan Hans Zimmer and in turn more generic movie sounding in comparison the other titles

I believe if wasn't for the "Metal Gear Solid" label, and if this game wasn't linked to Kojima or Konami, it wouldn't have garnered as much attention as it did. There's very little about it in presentation and style that resembles the series in any way.
Not just that, but it was all the PR. There's no way you could not know about this game with everything circulating between those two! Some of my casual gaming friends heard about it too and they never touched Metal Gear.
i'm no audio nut so i can't comment on audio quality, but the MGSV soundtrack sounded more like he wanted to go Nolan Hans Zimmer and in turn more generic movie sounding in comparison the other titles
I'm not an audio guy either, at least to Ryan's pedigree, but I did get a Nolan vibe too. It's kind of like Arkham Knight's OST compared to City and Asylum's, which while still good, felt just like the TDK Nolan films. I noticed this first during the main menu theme. But it makes far more sense there I guess.

I bought Ground Zeroes on the 360 so my helicopter track was "another one bites the dust" by Queen. I think i also had it arriving to "in waves" by Trivium :lol

I bought Ground Zeroes on the 360 so my helicopter track was "another one bites the dust" by Queen. I think i also had it arriving to "in waves" by Trivium :lol
That's awesome :lol especially during some of the more destructive missions

It's a shame we never got that feature on PS4. I have mine set to Snake Eater.

Yeah I don't get that either. It's not like people don't use their PS3 to play music, right?

So, I finally gave the Soundtrack a listen to, the last few days in its entirety. It's definitely not on the same caliber as the rest of the games, which were composed by Norihiko Hibino, Harry Gregson-Williams, and various other composers from Konami (who were more often than not, working in collaboration with each-other). "V" sounds very generic, like a composition of random, mellowed-out tunes strung together. Konami clearly cut corners by hiring two guys who didn't have any prior experience in either movies or games.

In any case, I've been listening to the Black and White sorter tracks along with the Document of MGS 2. Absolutely love them. I need to track down those sorter packages one of these days :pow.

MGSV's composer has no credits prior to the game under his belt,

Both the Black and White sorter albums are excellent, I tend to listen to them when I travel. Hibino-san is amazingly versatile- He's a jazz player but he could do any style thrown at him, as evident by his work in Metal Gear Ghost Babel, MGS2, MGS3 and MPO, they never sound the same, they never feel like filler.

Like this interview says, it's more about telling mini stories rather than being background filler.

I'll be frank and say that the Black and White sorter are pretty much my holy grail that I want to obtain someday. For over a decade I wanted them, and they'll be something I get before I die. :lol

I really loved those jazzy beats in MGS 2 :lol. It has my favorite music in the entire series. Hibino was a true professional, and I can tell that he was very passionate about what he was doing. It's pretty awesome you got to meet him, too.

I NEED those sorters, too :gah:. Which one was the rarest again, was it the white one?

I really loved those jazzy beats in MGS 2 :lol. It has my favorite music in the entire series. Hibino was a true professional, and I can tell that he was very passionate about what he was doing. It's pretty awesome you got to meet him, too.

I NEED those sorters, too :gah:. Which one was the rarest again, was it the white one?

Yeah, and if you think that's cool then you ought to see him perform on stage. He was sweating from playing non stop on his saxophone but never missed a beat. If he ever performs in the US, there's absolutely no reason to pass it up. This man is that good.

Btw, you have the First Bite CD don't you? The Snake Eater mix of that is my preferred one due to the sax.

I think the Black Sorter is slightly more rare than the White, but by a small margin. They easily go for $500 and more, EACH. I bet Rampy has them though, I should ask him. :lol

Hmmm this is a toughy between MGS1 and MGS2, but I tend to agree. This jazzy theme always stuck out for me.

I meant to tell you, Ryan. Since I'm getting this new PC, I'll finally delve into Silent Hill 3 this year. My fiancée is a SH nut and has wanted me to do a playthrough for years now of it.

Back