Metal Gear Solid 5: The Return of Hideo Kojima

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want a retelling o the original games so I can fight Gray Fox hand to hand in a mine field. But after that throw in the towel and move onto something else.
I feel the same way. I've been hoping for this for years. Apart from that, I actually don't mind them continuing to milk the franchise, if they can keep things fresh somehow. Resident Evil, for instance, works as a franchise because they keep modifying gameplay and shifting the focus of the stories (including the characters you control). MGS could do the same and remain a fun, viable franchise IMO.

I should also note that no one complains that Mario, Link, or Sonic the Hedgehog need to be killed off and the franchises done away with. Even if subsequent games aren't as good as previous ones, they are better than nothing, aren't they?

Snake I wish I had your enthusiasm for life bud :lol Keep bringin' the videos!

Metal gear 5 hell yes. I'm happy as long as Solid Snake is in it (best video game character of all time imo)

I hope the metal gear franchise never dies. So much history with MGS. One thing i wish they had done with the ending of MGS4 was to let the player "shoot" Snake instead of the cutscene "showing" it. That would of killed me at the time but also would have had a way bigger impact imo. Cannot wait for Rizing and MGS5!!!!!

I feel the same way. I've been hoping for this for years. Apart from that, I actually don't mind them continuing to milk the franchise, if they can keep things fresh somehow. Resident Evil, for instance, works as a franchise because they keep modifying gameplay and shifting the focus of the stories (including the characters you control). MGS could do the same and remain a fun, viable franchise IMO.

I should also note that no one complains that Mario, Link, or Sonic the Hedgehog need to be killed off and the franchises done away with. Even if subsequent games aren't as good as previous ones, they are better than nothing, aren't they?

That's not a very good comparison. Unlike MGS, those games aren't story-driven. Mario and Sonic are straight-up platformers, and The Legend of Zelda has a few alternate universes with different Links, which makes it possible for Nintendo to push out new Zelda games without the fear of maintaining a continuity.

I would also argue (and so will many others) that the last great Resident Evil game was RE 4. Things just went completely wrong in RE 5 for a plethora of reasons. In fact, RE is a perfect example of why certain franchises shouldn't be milked.

That said, Kojima needs to end MGS and do something different, before things get out of hand. I mean, before we know it, 10 years from now, little Jack might grow up and cut himself because ex girlfriend, Sunny married that little kid in the sombrero, who was actually the nephew of Che Guevara, who was actually killed by Machine Gun Kid prior to Operation Snake Eater. "OMG.. sequel!!" :lecture.

Last edited:
I think this game will see Solid Snake be regulated to a "Command Role" sort of like Col. Campbell. MGS4 was to Solid Snake what "Rambo (4)" was to John Rambo. His last "swan song" and now its time to stop being a player and be a Coach.

However, I think they have to handle a new main character carefully. Personally, I'd LOVE to play as young Solid Snake again..as much as I'd love for some miracle serum to make him young again I know that is silly and unrealistic, then again...isn't the whole series pretty unrealistic? ;)

Anyways...I picture the main character as a young soldier within a new "FOX HOUND" or some other group. Perhaps unknowingly a clone of Solid Snake? Following the whole project line again...this time once again using Snake's DNA unlike just forcing someone into a Solid Snake situation (i.e. Raiden, he was cool in MGS4, but ultimately a silly and lame character...I think they should've stopped the robotics at Gray Fox Cyborg Ninja).

Or you know what? Go radical. Redo METAL GEAR from the start! Young Solid Snake, young Gray Fox, and Big Boss. Keep the "supernatural military" stuff a little more subtle (kind of like it was in MGS and then started getting more out of control in the other games) and focus on realism and even some other elements of espionage besides just hiding. Perhaps you can "bribe" a guard here or there or introduce conversation elements with guards/random characters that can make getting through some areas easy or harder.

I think this game will see Solid Snake be regulated to a "Command Role" sort of like Col. Campbell. MGS4 was to Solid Snake what "Rambo (4)" was to John Rambo. His last "swan song" and now its time to stop being a player and be a Coach.

He was like that in MGS 2, the fans hated it, and Kojima was sent death threats. I guess now, it just depends on how people feel about Raiden as a main character. But, most of the people I know still hate Raiden :lol

*insert facepalm pic here*

The simple fact that Peace Walker doesn't have a horrific section in Eastern Europe that annihilates the flow of the game (especially if you're doing the Big Boss Emblem run) objectively showcases that Peace Walker indeed is without a doubt exceedingly better than MGS4, and always will be.

The simple fact that Peace Walker doesn't have a horrific section in Eastern Europe that annihilates the flow of the game (especially if you're doing the Big Boss Emblem run) objectively showcases that Peace Walker indeed is without a doubt exceedingly better than MGS4, and always will be.

Yeah, that motorcycle chase scene on "The Boss Extreme" difficulty, was intense. I mastered it after many, many, many tries, and I can now do it blindfolded (kinda :lol). In fact, just being able to get past that part deserves uber amounts of accolades.

That's not a very good comparison. Unlike MGS, those games aren't story-driven. Mario and Sonic are straight-up platformers, and The Legend of Zelda has a few alternate universes with different Links, which makes it possible for Nintendo to push out new Zelda games without the fear of maintaining a continuity.
I don't see the nature of the game being particularly relevant. A decision to give a videogame character a final "death," whether the character is from a game with a more or less complex story, or even whether the character continues from one game to another, is fairly arbitrary. Most games fall on a scale of being more story than gameplay driven, but to me, Metal Gear was always about "Tactical Espionage Action" with a story tacked on around that, not the other way around, so I think your distinction is murky. Samus or Ryu could be "killed" and fail to show up in subsequent games (there is a kind of story underlining Street Fighter and Metroid games, after all), or not. Same goes for the guy from Uncharted, Snake, Final Fantasy characters, etc. So my question is--why does Solid Snake specifically need to die while others don't?

But in any case, a huge chunk of games out there (most of them?) are either sequels, prequels, spinoffs, or extremely derivative takes on existing, popular games. Metal Gear's story was pretty bat-____ nuts from, at least, MGS 1 on, to varying degrees, so I don't think they have reached a point where Kojima has gone "too far." If there was such a point, surely he pushed way freakin' past that with MGS2. There are so many options and possibilities for exploring different characters and different previous stories, that I don't see why it is that much worse to continue on with the franchise until something truly horribly bad comes out and he proves that he isn't capable of producing a good, enjoyable game anymore. MGS4 was awesome, and had a nice feeling of finality to Snake's story. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other great games from that universe that Kojima can explore.

I don't see the nature of the game being particularly relevant. A decision to give a videogame character a final "death," whether the character is from a game with a more or less complex story, or even whether the character continues from one game to another, is fairly arbitrary. Most games fall on a scale of being more story than gameplay driven, but to me, Metal Gear was always about "Tactical Espionage Action" with a story tacked on around that, not the other way around, so I think your distinction is murky. Samus or Ryu could be "killed" and fail to show up in subsequent games (there is a kind of story underlining Street Fighter and Metroid games, after all), or not. Same goes for the guy from Uncharted, Snake, Final Fantasy characters, etc. So my question is--why does Solid Snake specifically need to die while others don't?

But in any case, a huge chunk of games out there (most of them?) are either sequels, prequels, spinoffs, or extremely derivative takes on existing, popular games. Metal Gear's story was pretty bat-____ nuts from, at least, MGS 1 on, to varying degrees, so I don't think they have reached a point where Kojima has gone "too far." If there was such a point, surely he pushed way freakin' past that with MGS2. There are so many options and possibilities for exploring different characters and different previous stories, that I don't see why it is that much worse to continue on with the franchise until something truly horribly bad comes out and he proves that he isn't capable of producing a good, enjoyable game anymore. MGS4 was awesome, and had a nice feeling of finality to Snake's story. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other great games from that universe that Kojima can explore.

You might be the only person who actually feels that way, or you're just saying that for the sake of argument :lol. Storyline has always been the main focus for MGS games with a side-note on game-play (6+ hours of cut-scenes in MGS 4, with a record 2 hour long cut-scene? 8 hours of cut-scenes in MGS 2?). Snake doesn't necessarily need to be "killed off", but the franchise is long past its prime, and it needs to end. In fact, that was the entire purpose of Kojima's introduction of "Old Snake" in MGS 4. Everything reached an epic conclusion with that game, and all that's left now is filler; events that happened between MGS 2 and MGS 4 (aka. MGS Rising), events that happened in the past (Peace Walker), etc. Kojima has voiced his deep sentiments about wanting to end the series himself (or at least retire), but he keeps getting pulled back in by Konami. I think right now, he has just given in, and accepted his lot in life.

Such a shame. Because, there's this little game called "Zone of the Enders 3" that has been stuck in development hell since it was teased three years ago in a small paragraph in Official Playstation Magazine.

As for what you mentioned about MGS 2's craziness - that was intentional. Kojima was, in a sense, trying to sabotage his own game by creating a storyline that was so bat-#### insane that it wouldn't have been possible to continue it with a sequel. But, he was wrong :lol. In fact, it's kinda funny that he was trying to get out of MGS since then :rotfl ...

Last edited:

Oh, really? I didn't know that. Thank you very much for enlightening me with your objective talk.

Seems like I was wrong the hole time thinking that Peace Walker deserved an honorable mention for sporting the absolute worst gameplay, boss fights and storyline in the series and that it was, even measured against MGS standards, painfully cheesy.

Thanks again for clearing that up...

Considering the gameplay was completely intuitive, and just as deep as MGS4's gameplay, I don't know what the hell you're going on about.

I'd really hate to see Solid Snake die. I've grown attached to that character and I don't care if they introduce somebody new and have Snake bow out for a few of the games like they've done before, but I'd like to think he could make a return as the hero again.

I kind of think that with the story driven game franchises, the average gamer doesn't want to see their heroes get killed off. If Nathan Drake or Chris Redfield got killed, I'd be a little bummed out. Heck, I was a little sad when Nathan Hale got killed in Resistance 2 and I didn't even like that game very much compared to the first one. Perhaps I'm too sensitive.

You might be the only person who actually feels that way, or you're just saying that for the sake of argument :lol.
I do play the game for the gameplay first, story second. If I wanted a great story, I would go read a book or something :D I really think MGS is such a phenomenon primarily because it was such an original and distinctive type of game, and because it had some cool characters, not because it had a mind-blowingly awesome story. I know story is critical to the game, but that's not what makes it good IMO. Story is a'aight, but really flies off the rails in nearly every MGS game, as you no doubt know. Extraordinarily convoluted, filled with half thought through philosophical lectures, and just bizarre twists and turns as often as it isn't.

As for what you mentioned about MGS 2's craziness - that was intentional. Kojima was, in a sense, trying to sabotage his own game by creating a storyline that was so bat-#### insane that it wouldn't have been possible to continue it with a sequel. But, he was wrong :lol. In fact, it's kinda funny that he was trying to get out of MGS since then :rotfl ...
Well if that's the case, then he should leave it. But if he had been done at MGS 2 then there would have been no MGS 3 or 4 of course, which would have sucked! But he churned out some great games after that point, when you are suggesting he felt that he was done with the story and franchise. The same could go for 5. Ultimately, I say it doesn't hurt anything. If you want to imagine the franchise ends at 4, then don't play 5, don't read about 5, just pretend it doesn't exist. But you could be missing out on something fun.

Considering the gameplay was completely intuitive, and just as deep as MGS4's gameplay, I don't know what the hell you're going on about.

Intuitive, yes maybe, but just as deep as MGS4's gameplay? Not in my opinion, since Peace Walker's gameplay was way more repetitive than MGS4's. Also the whole "mission" structure gave the gameplay a completely different structure and feeling than in MGS4. Long story short: I didn't like the game at all. If you on the other hand think that, compared to MGS4, it's the better game then that's your opinion and that's ok. After all it's a hugely subjective matter.
Then again if some smart person comes along babbling about objectivity and that one game is objectively better than the other that's a different story...

Back