Jesus Jumpin' Karloff!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the reason i say that is that they have had pre orders for years now,sorry your offended but its how i feel

Last edited:
They never got enough preorders to go to production on the figures they planned to make. The reason they are only doing a hundred is that is the most they think they can sell at the cost it will take to produce them. How much do you think a Hot Toys figure would cost if they only made 100? Regardless of the price you've got to give them props for persistence. Most would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. Ragging on the quality because you don't like the price is kind of crazy. They use one of the best portrait sculptors in the industry to do their heads sculpts, and a lot of the components are going to be made here in the states. I doubt very seriously that you could hire custom sculptors, painters and costumers and come up with anything signicantly better for the price. Plus they are licensed so the celebrities and/or their estates get their share. This is the monster that collectors created themselves. Instead of supporting producers they sit back and wait for a bargain. When companies like ER see that they may not be able to break even they wont produce 500 figures to get a good price, only to sit on 400 they can't sell at retail. As someone else mentioned the properties being covered by ER have fewer fans as time goes by. Do you seriously think anyone else would think about making these figures?

They never got enough preorders to go to production on the figures they planned to make. The reason they are only doing a hundred is that is the most they think they can sell at the cost it will take to produce them. How much do you think a Hot Toys figure would cost if they only made 100? Regardless of the price you've got to give them props for persistence. Most would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. Ragging on the quality because you don't like the price is kind of crazy. They use one of the best portrait sculptors in the industry to do their heads sculpts, and a lot of the components are going to be made here in the states. I doubt very seriously that you could hire custom sculptors, painters and costumers and come up with anything signicantly better for the price. Plus they are licensed so the celebrities and/or their estates get their share. This is the monster that collectors created themselves. Instead of supporting producers they sit back and wait for a bargain. When companies like ER see that they may not be able to break even they wont produce 500 figures to get a good price, only to sit on 400 they can't sell at retail. As someone else mentioned the properties being covered by ER have fewer fans as time goes by. Do you seriously think anyone else would think about making these figures?

Do you seriously think that many will buy these figures? At those prices? It's a lose-lose game in business, especially when you're producing products that are considered luxury items. They're usually the first things to get cut and while even the staunchest Karloff fan might want to own them but will definitely question $200 a pop. For what they're providing, it's definitely a headscratcher.

I've seen custom runs of figures sell for $600 - $700 and higher. People who post on message boards represent a small percentage of the people who actually buy collectibles. ER and other smaller producers have had success selling figures in much smaller quantities compared to companies like SS, HT and Enterbay. Obviously there is some affection for the subject matter attached, as profit only wouldn't motivate someone to work that hard for so little return. If 30 to 40 people are willing to pay $600 + for a figure of the Big Lebowski I don't think ER will have a problem moving a 100 each of these figures.

I've seen custom runs of figures sell for $600 - $700 and higher. People who post on message boards represent a small percentage of the people who actually buy collectibles. ER and other smaller producers have had success selling figures in much smaller quantities compared to companies like SS, HT and Enterbay. Obviously there is some affection for the subject matter attached, as profit only wouldn't motivate someone to work that hard for so little return. If 30 to 40 people are willing to pay $600 + for a figure of the Big Lebowski I don't think ER will have a problem moving a 100 each of these figures.

When you consider the quality of the custom Dude they're getting for that $600+, these things pale in comparison and aren't even worthy at 1/3 the cost. I think they'd have been smarter just to offer kits at sub $100 or nothing.

.....HE'S ONLY $69.99 I THINK. .....but he has been on pre-order for years with no release. He was supposed to be released with Vincent Price presents #1. The magazine in question has about 34 issues out now.:gah:

The one i'm looking at is $199.99 and is in celebration of his 100 year anniversary. The more i look at it, the more i'm loving it.

When you consider the quality of the custom Dude they're getting for that $600+, these things pale in comparison and aren't even worthy at 1/3 the cost. I think they'd have been smarter just to offer kits at sub $100 or nothing.

That is your opinion and you are intitled to it. People who are not fans of Rainman or the Dude would find it ridiculous that anyone would pay $60 for a guy in a bathrobe, and find $600 insanity, regardless of the quality. The majority of Karloff fans are probably 45+ years old. There are lots of classic horror fans who have recession proof professions like doctors and attorneys. And they all love Sara Karloff. Knowing she approved these figures and gets a cut will make it a no brainer for them. I don't plan on buying any of these Karloff figures because I'm not that big a fan. I hope that ER is successful with this as they have licensed other properties that I am interested in.

That is your opinion and you are intitled to it. People who are not fans of Rainman or the Dude would find it ridiculous that anyone would pay $60 for a guy in a bathrobe, and find $600 insanity, regardless of the quality. The majority of Karloff fans are probably 45+ years old. There are lots of classic horror fans who have recession proof professions like doctors and attorneys. And they all love Sara Karloff. Knowing she approved these figures and gets a cut will make it a no brainer for them. I don't plan on buying any of these Karloff figures because I'm not that big a fan. I hope that ER is successful with this as they have licensed other properties that I am interested in.

For the record, I find both offerings absurdly priced. :lol

Maybe they think limiting them to 100 pieces each justifies the price. No way I'd pay that much.

Partly it does. Economy of scale would drive down production costs if they made 5000 of these figures. Limit them to 100, and the costs skyrocket.

The question is whether the product and market demand will overlap. Somehow I don't think it unreasonable that there are 100 collectors out there who will drop the cash for these figures. I have certainly seen more outrageously priced toys move.

UT-oh. Show me. If they raised the price on Price then I wont be buying him either I guess.:peace Amok Time has their Vincent Price Presents on pre-order for $69.99. Which was what it was listed at on their website a blue million years ago.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=AKT10017&mode=retail

Man that's the same figure, ok now i'm confused. Check this out.

https://stores.executivereplicas.net/-strse-71/VINCENT-PRICE-12"-action/Detail.bok

i assume that as bub has been on pre order for a few years now,much like dr. west,they are waiting for a certain amount of pre orders before they produce? ive been burned on pre orders before,so i cant see sending these guys money for a figure that may never see the light of day.

Man that's the same figure, ok now i'm confused. Check this out.

https://stores.executivereplicas.net/-strse-71/VINCENT-PRICE-12"-action/Detail.bok

.......AND That will be the end of my interest in a figure I really wanted to get. As I refuse to be taken advantage of by paying $200 for a glorified Barbie. You know---if the toys were Hot Toys thats one thing. Because the quality is amazing. But I own some of the Amok Time/BBFFF figures. The Executive Replicas figures look to be about the same quality. They arent worth $200.

I know all of the fans out there are going to give me a million and five reasons why the figures are this high. Oil rising, low runs, inflation, etc. But really---I just dont care. The bottom line is $200 is too precious to throw out for something that is brand new, and not up to snuff quality wise. So---now going to go mark it off of my order file in my collecting notes. Goody for me I guess.....:monkey3

"regardless of quality"? :rotfl
While I agree that $600+ for a figure is a tad too much, you have to realize that RM figs ARE NOT meant for everyone. These are CUSTOM 20-30 run figs with some of the best paint apps, sculpts, and clothes, available to 1/6 collectors.

THIS thing costs $200 and is horrible all the way around in terms of quality. But if paint apps( the sculpt isnt thst bad), and crappy barbie-like suit doesn't matter to you........
I just think that Karloff fans deserve a better figure for the price.

"regardless of quality"? :rotfl
While I agree that $600+ for a figure is a tad too much, you have to realize that RM figs ARE NOT meant for everyone. These are CUSTOM 20-30 run figs with some of the best paint apps, sculpts, and clothes, available to 1/6 collectors.

THIS thing costs $200 and is horrible all the way around in terms of quality. But if paint apps( the sculpt isnt thst bad), and crappy barbie-like suit doesn't matter to you........
I just think that Karloff fans deserve a better figure for the price.

To be clear the quality remark was not a slam on RM, or the quality of his work. The point I was trying to make is many would see his Dude figure as a hippie in a bathrobe and wouldn't be willing to pay $60 for it. It's not a question of the quality of the work, it's the perceived value. I'm biased as I have meet some of the people involved in this project. I saw many of their upcoming products at last years NYCC and they are nicer than people on here are giving them credit for. Don't like em don't buy em. From my experience these are fans that are trying to produce figures they want and want to share with others. If you divide what it will cost to produce these figures by what they will make, no one is getting rich.

Back