Is this hobby way too overwhelming?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can never ever take anything you say seriously. :(

funny ive always feel the same about you. specially anything movie related. ive never believed a single post you have made in the movie section lol :dunno

Reading through this thread really made me think of myself a lot and what I have been through within this hobby and my own life. Crows makes some really good points for sure. I can honestly tell you the old me had a problem but was more to fill a void of sadness with toys to relive my childhood. As a kid my parents spoiled me and my brother gave us any toy we wanted so if I wanted a star wars figure. They bought it for me and even my extended family did so too. That and money were big things in my younger days. A I grew older I did chores in order to buy new figures or Lego especially around 2007 when I saw pictures of Sideshow Collectibles and Hot Toys figures. That's when it all started because the year before I moved to a new state and that's when the depression hit me big time. Moving at my early teens really affected me and being picked on by kids at school developed a sadness and quietness from me that would affect me for years. I was looking for something to fill my happiness. That's when I discovered this hobby of collecting. I did chores to get money to buy a new figure. I worked hard and it sparked me from the inside and gave me a smile and exhilaration of wanting more. I made a YouTube Channel to review all my stuff which is no longer available anymore sadly. It got to the point when I started to buy multiple items and then within 2011 I stopped and sold all my stuff for a girl. By end of 2012 to the beginning of 2013 I came back into the hobby and then from there on from 2013-2015 I was on a hoarding spree of just buying all the new released Hot Toys figures and going back and getting old ones. I had 4 detolfs filled with everything. Lego's, 7 inch figures, Sixth Scale, Statues, Busts, Props etc. It got out of hand and then one day I looked upon myself and said what am I doing with myself and my life. I saw that it really didn't give me joy no more. Around that time I was going through some really bad relationships and was very lonely. Wasn't sure where my life was going I had good jobs keeping steady paychecks but I wasn't sure. I considered my spree in 2013-2015 the worst time of collecting for me I had so much coming in every week it was insane from Neca to Hot Toys to Sideshow PF's. It was the most crazy time and that was due to some really complicated things happening in my life which I was trying to hide away from and try to fill my depression. Even my girlfriend at the time couldn't help me which to this day she is my rock she really got me out of that hole. Without her I don't know where'd i'd be even her family was very supportive and helpful through my troubles they got me back on my feet not my own which is actually sad. I can say I had a hoarding problem but in a way to fill a void of happiness. Single or not I always had tried to fill my depression with some sort of job even if it was toys or buying movies in a way it got me through a lot and actually made some really emotional memories of happiness but definitely near the end of it I got tired and it wasn't enough for me anymore I was more ashamed and upset than happy. These days I've grown past it. Sure I still collect but not as much and spend my money much more wisely and use it on other things much more than a new figure. I am completely proud of what I have shaped myself to become. This hobby I can thank for getting me through some things but it was never the one to shape me as a person. I did along with some very special people in my life. I hope my story can help some of you. Sometimes figuring things out works best when you sit down with yourself and the people who you love and trust to help guide you through these emotions. I never look back on my self journey because it really helped shaped me into the Young Man I am today. I actually feel much more happiness than I ever did because of it.

Reading through this thread really made me think of myself a lot and what I have been through within this hobby and my own life. Crows makes some really good points for sure. I can honestly tell you the old me had a problem but was more to fill a void of sadness with toys to relive my childhood. As a kid my parents spoiled me and my brother gave us any toy we wanted so if I wanted a star wars figure. They bought it for me and even my extended family did so too. That and money were big things in my younger days. A I grew older I did chores in order to buy new figures or Lego especially around 2007 when I saw pictures of Sideshow Collectibles and Hot Toys figures. That's when it all started because the year before I moved to a new state and that's when the depression hit me big time. Moving at my early teens really affected me and being picked on by kids at school developed a sadness and quietness from me that would affect me for years. I was looking for something to fill my happiness. That's when I discovered this hobby of collecting. I did chores to get money to buy a new figure. I worked hard and it sparked me from the inside and gave me a smile and exhilaration of wanting more. I made a YouTube Channel to review all my stuff which is no longer available anymore sadly. It got to the point when I started to buy multiple items and then within 2011 I stopped and sold all my stuff for a girl. By end of 2012 to the beginning of 2013 I came back into the hobby and then from there on from 2013-2015 I was on a hoarding spree of just buying all the new released Hot Toys figures and going back and getting old ones. I had 4 detolfs filled with everything. Lego's, 7 inch figures, Sixth Scale, Statues, Busts, Props etc. It got out of hand and then one day I looked upon myself and said what am I doing with myself and my life. I saw that it really didn't give me joy no more. Around that time I was going through some really bad relationships and was very lonely. Wasn't sure where my life was going I had good jobs keeping steady paychecks but I wasn't sure. I considered my spree in 2013-2015 the worst time of collecting for me I had so much coming in every week it was insane from Neca to Hot Toys to Sideshow PF's. It was the most crazy time and that was due to some really complicated things happening in my life which I was trying to hide away from and try to fill my depression. Even my girlfriend at the time couldn't help me which to this day she is my rock she really got me out of that hole. Without her I don't know where'd i'd be even her family was very supportive and helpful through my troubles they got me back on my feet not my own which is actually sad. I can say I had a hoarding problem but in a way to fill a void of happiness. Single or not I always had tried to fill my depression with some sort of job even if it was toys or buying movies in a way it got me through a lot and actually made some really emotional memories of happiness but definitely near the end of it I got tired and it wasn't enough for me anymore I was more ashamed and upset than happy. These days I've grown past it. Sure I still collect but not as much and spend my money much more wisely and use it on other things much more than a new figure. I am completely proud of what I have shaped myself to become. This hobby I can thank for getting me through some things but it was never the one to shape me as a person. I did along with some very special people in my life. I hope my story can help some of you. Sometimes figuring things out works best when you sit down with yourself and the people who you love and trust to help guide you through these emotions. I never look back on my self journey because it really helped shaped me into the Young Man I am today. I actually feel much more happiness than I ever did because of it.

very interesting story. Im glad your girl helped you. Im happy to hear that you got her help and her love. I was just posting what i have read, but Im glad to read your story

very interesting story. Im glad your girl helped you. Im happy to hear that you got her help and her love. I was just posting what i have read, but Im glad to read your story

I thank you for reading. I don't share my personal life often but I like to help others struggling as much as I did in my past. I've had a rough life at times but i got through it and in the end of it all became a better person out of it all. I appreciate your reply and what you have posted for people to read and take into consideration for help if they do struggle.

How much did the girl cost?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I go through phases dependent on my state of mind and where I am in my life. I started proper collecting a few years ago with hot toys, built up quite a few iron men. It was a distraction for me, and not all of it was bad. It was a hobby and I enjoyed taking pictures of my iron man dolls and posing them lol the completionist/obsessive in me started to get too much, remember the battle damaged avengers iron man and the Midas going for crazy money? In the end I sold every one of my hot toys and started collecting dc premium formats instead. Most of them are in boxes at the mo since I'm saving for a mortgage and I still allow myself a splurge now and again but I am only human! I have a few star wars hot toys and told myself only one of every character but I can't choose between the two sideshow catwoman PFs so what the hell, nothing is perfect lol

I think some rules are important and listen to loved ones if they offer advice. My girlfriend has hundreds of books but I know she isn't a hoarder, she just loves to read. Self awareness is very important but the key is not to give yourself a hard time if you think you have a problem - deal with the issues deep within yourself and you'll be in a better position to deal with your material possessions, peace everyone

yeah not all compulsive buying comes from depression or hiding something dark, but the compulsive buying is not really normal or natural. compulsion on its own can be a problem. Not every person that is buying compulsively might be dealing with something really really bad in their lives but that compulsion might still have a reason or a problem behind it.
Just the fact of compulsively buying something might be a sign of feeling like you need to complete something or achieve somehing? it almost becomes like a game where you gather power ups or bonus points. but a game in real life

There has been a boom in toy manufacturing in the latest years, so yes, it has, more likely than not, you'll be face with several options for whatever you like and you *need* a background in toy collecting to make a good purchase.

Since I like to collect 2 or 3 pieces of a toy I like, I've had to become extremely discriminating of the toys I want to buy, it's become a constant; do I "need" it? And more of then than not, I don't, it's led me to have a very rich and very small collection that fits my core tastes, if I like something superficially, then I don't need it.

There has been a boom in toy manufacturing in the latest years, so yes, it has, more likely than not, you'll be face with several options for whatever you like and you *need* a background in toy collecting to make a good purchase.

Since I like to collect 2 or 3 pieces of a toy I like, I've had to become extremely discriminating of the toys I want to buy, it's become a constant; do I "need" it? And more of then than not, I don't, it's led me to have a very rich and very small collection that fits my core tastes, if I like something superficially, then I don't need it.

it happens with other things too, shoes, guns, stamps, hats,
the problem is our impulsive behavior. or the roots for it whatever it might be.

Back