Is there such thing as a fake sideshow statue?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I'd be wary of buying ANYTHING from China through eBay. Recasters galore.

I hate to be self-serving, but I have a Strider statue for sale.

Recasters - sellers, generally from China, that have made imitation casts of polystone models which they use to make inferior copies of high-end pieces

Best place to buy LOTR statues is in the trading section here.
Lots of bargains last time I looked. :duff

Knowing it was previously owned by a dedicated collector
makes the item even better.

I avoid china as well, but why bother recasting this statue???

They obtain a statue and make a new mold with it. They can then make as many copies as they wish. The paint jobs and materials use are always cheap and you end up with an inferior product.

I know what they do but why waste their energies on this piece. Are they now recasting every statue under the sun? When I start my illegal recasting empire the aragorn maquette will be far down my list of pieces to copy. Its a great piece but nor valuable or particularly rare so...

Ringwraith on Steed is a regular recast, artist proofs especially and the WETA Balrog are noteable recasts in the LOTR line.
Otherwise the Iron Man Comiquette, Hulk Vs Spiderman Dio, plus the Ardeth Bay, Aliens Warrior, Predator and Thing Life Size Busts are the most common ones I can think of.

Hi every one I'm new, and I have seen a piece on ebay looks great price wise, but the seller is using stock pics and is in china. Take a look

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Side...5541?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3f1fd559f5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIDESHOW...6303?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item27cd35bfaf

those are not fakes, just resellers off loading their inventory. Noone is stupid enough to spend the resource to recast a $200 statue with this level of complexity.

china really doesnt recast as many ss statues you guys like to think, i been there many times, checked out all the "collectible" markets, to my disappointment(?) all of them are legit resellers who just preorders from sideshow like the usa shops but for a higher price. The only recast i have ever found over there was a single ironman punching ground in one of the shops gathering dust, the paint was terrible on it. The shopowner said it was a project for his kid who stripped and repainted it lol. So who knows.

They are more similar to the japanese, into those 1/6 figures and big eyed plastic dolls, tons of recast of those. But very few to none recast of sideshow polystone statues i can find. I even pretended to be a dealer and asked many, there just isnt any elaborate recast operation going on over there like you think.

now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Buy Dino's... Stay away from Chinese statue sellers on eBay.

No not Chinese seller , is the place of china, I am a Chinese and never sell fake s***. Got scammed 3 times by eBay seller in LA tho.

The reason I don't buy the hulk vs Spider-Man is because there is too many fake ones.

Back