IrishJedi's Prop Replica Building Corner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay, so they aren't figures... but I do a good bit of custom work myself. Lots of prop stuff (helmets, armor, weapons, costumes, etc).

Anyway, with the R2 projects on the horizon I'm gonna be pretty busy so I won't have much time to work on my other passion (Clone Trooper stuff). But I will finish this one last project before I'm completely entrenched in droid work...

Custom AOTC version Clone helmet. Got a kit pulled from a fan-made sculpt. It was a good bit off so it's requiring a lot of work on my part. I wasn't happy with the dimensions, so I've essentially reculpted parts with Bondo and spot putty (hence the ugly pics). Almost there. Soon, my favorite part will begin (priming, painting and WEATHERING :rock):

aotcclone_01.jpg

aotcclone_02.jpg

Also, I will need to clean out some "inventory" now to make some room and get rid of some "pork" (not to mention add some income for needed R2 parts). First up will be 2 of my three 1:1 Clone blasters. Both are made of resin. The finished one is weathered and has some good heft to it and all it needs to be complete are the wires on the nozzle (VERY easy to do):

cloneblaster_01.jpg

cloneblaster_02.jpg

cloneblaster_03.jpg

cloneblaster_04.jpg

The other is a completely unfinished kit. Again, made of resin. This one is a bit light, because it still lacks the coats of primer, paint and small metal details that add the weight. It also has a crack in the stabilizing bar, which can easily be fixed. If you're handy this might be a fun project. It requires sanding, gluing, some bondo, priming painting and finishing... but it can indeed result in a nice 1:1 Clone blaster:

cloneblaster_kit_01.jpg

cloneblaster_kit_02.jpg

cloneblaster_kit_03.jpg

Monk said:
That's one wicked toy room you've got going on. I'm coming over to play. :D

Heheh, thanks!

Wait until I have my 1:1 Commander Gree done. Have the armor all set and ready to go. Once the Master Replicas helmet ships all it will take is putting it all on a suitable mannequin and Gree will take his rightful place as sentry in my home. :rock

Of course, all of this is also assuming I have my new place by then too. :monkey1

That custom work is awesome Irish. What made you get into R2 work? Have you purchased anything yet? Ive been thinking of trying it out myself.

The Earl of Dunfield said:
That custom work is awesome Irish. What made you get into R2 work? Have you purchased anything yet? Ive been thinking of trying it out myself.

Thanks!

I've always kinda wanted to build a 1:1 functioning R2 (heck, who hasn't?). But after hanging out with the R2 Builders Club at C3 and then C4 I couldn't take it anymore. I joined and started networkin right then and there. I'm already in on a run of spun aluminum domes and have purchased a frame kit. Thankfully, though, my friend Bob and I are pretty handy and experienced and also have access to people who can machine parts for us that we can't manage ourselves. In total, we're planning to complete four (4) R2 units within the next year, 3 of them being fully-functional (R/C, motion, lights & sounds, etc). Bob is doing R4-K5 (Darth Vader's astromech droid) and I'm doing two R2-D2s (one will be 2-legged and static for display only) and a custom astromech. Wish us luck. :monkey5

By the way, not really armor-related but here is the Garindan costume that I made and wore at C4 in honor of ANH's 30th Anniversary (that's Bob in his self-made ANH Vader). Don't know who the bounty hunter chick is though:

521934525_fb3aeca85d.jpg

521934583_e8a7a9f5d5.jpg

521934855_bf52f157dc.jpg

Garindan! That is just too cool!
Nobody ever does Garindan! :rock

And I love your bondo projects!
Very cool stuff you got going on there! :D

This is from another thread in the STAR WARS forum, but I figure I'd put in in here as well...

This is a 1:1 Special Ops/501st Clone Trooper helmet that I finished myself from "Javamonkey V2" kit a year or so ago. I have more than $400 in this thing (and tons of time) but I'd probably let it go for $275.00-$300.00 or so. I just don't have the space for it with all the other clone buckets I have.

As you can see, I weathered the bejeebus out of it. This isn't the mansy-pamby pristine helmet... this sucker has seen ACTION. I like my clones scarred and dirty. :lol

Anyway, here are some pics:

specopshelm_01.jpg

specopshelm_02.jpg

specopshelm_03.jpg

specopshelm_04.jpg

More pics:

https://www.irishjedi.com/pics/specopshelm_05.jpg
https://www.irishjedi.com/pics/specopshelm_06.jpg
https://www.irishjedi.com/pics/specopshelm_07.jpg
https://www.irishjedi.com/pics/specopshelm_08.jpg

It is complete, except that the visor (a cool blue-green mirrored one) needs to be glued or secured into place and the mouth vents need to be adhered (both will be included, of course). The inside is not padded, so someone can pad it to fit them custom.

figuremasterles said:
Garindan! That is just too cool!
Nobody ever does Garindan! :rock

And I love your bondo projects!
Very cool stuff you got going on there! :D

Thanks, Les. That's quite a compliment coming from one of the masters. :)

Yeah, I did Garindan for a few reasons... one of which is what you pointed out: no one else really does him. I wanted to do something unique for C4. Originally, my plan was to do a 1:1 Wat Tambor costume (complete with transitor sound FX), but that fell-through with the Separation/Divorce so I had to scale way down for C4. Then it hit me: Garindan. It was a nice obscure yet recognizable character from ANH that I could do to honor the film's 30th Anniversary. Also, way back in my days on JediNet when I ran Prequel Watch (1996-1999) I was known as "Garindan", so this was the perfect Geek full-circle moment. :lol

I will get back to Wat Tambor someday, though. I am determined to finish that one, because it will be too hilarious (and also quite different).

The R2s are first on the block, though.

Way cool pictures, and if you ever do Wat Tambor, I would be totally geeked out to see it. He was one of my favorite prequel aliens! Cool stuff!

Nice production photos, Irish! :rock

Will I be seeing Garindan at this year's Dragon*Con, or do you have something else in mind?

Boba Fett said:
Nice production photos, Irish! :rock

Will I be seeing Garindan at this year's Dragon*Con, or do you have something else in mind?

Thanks!

And, yes, Garindan will indeed be appearing at Dragon*Con. :eek:

ian1138 said:
Cool stuff, do you display your stuff on shop dumbies, i always wanted to have a room full of full size costumes.
When I get my new place I'll be having a room with my costumes and such on dummies. :rock

Boba Fett said:
Nice! I'll then be keeping an eye out on you and maybe buy you a drink. ;)
Cool deal! I'll also likely be hanging around the R2 Builders table for a time as well... be sure to drop by.

hey Irish,

great work. I asked on another thread if anyone knew where to get some masculine mannequins. All the ones on ebay look quite effeminate, is there like a military mannequin available? The reason I ask is might get a rubies supreme vader costume and after swapping out some of the armour place it all on a lifesize mannequin.

Any ideas?

D

bidge1000 said:
hey Irish,

great work. I asked on another thread if anyone knew where to get some masculine mannequins. All the ones on ebay look quite effeminate, is there like a military mannequin available? The reason I ask is might get a rubies supreme vader costume and after swapping out some of the armour place it all on a lifesize mannequin.

Any ideas?

D

I may have a beat on a couple of these. Will let you know.

Back