Investing In Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sought after stuff with lowest edition sizes will generally hold value and continue to rise in the long run.

This is generally the older stuff. Unless the company decides to re-release the same item, you don't have to worry too much.

You can make profit from anything you buy, just need to be able to buy it for the right price and sell it at the right time. As mentioned before.

How about comics, episode 1 toys, and spawn figures?

How about comics, episode 1 toys, and spawn figures?

The only comics I have left are the ones that I like, not really worth much. And if Image comics doesn't prove that, then the Death of Super does.

Episode I - those movies never happened, and I'm such a Vader fan. Huge let down for me. :gah:

Spawn figures - had so many back in the day, and they looked great for action figures, all gone now. :lol

New comics arent worth anything. The new star wars stuff, you'd have to pay somebody to take them...and spawn toys? :lol

Yeah, I used to collect all of those and got like pennies on the dollar back for them. The comics, and episode 1 stuff, I still have in the basement. I might donate all of them away someday. No one wants them. They are all junk. Imagine if statues become like those. Who knows it's possible since only time will tell. SS is helpingnus get there to the crash a lot faster with everything they have been doing. They are so far from when they first started and actually cared.

To all of the naysayers out there, you are wrong. I actually run a business and i am doing just fine in the collectibles market. A lot of these Sideshow/Hot Toys figures are appreciating in value and have become quite the investment. I also

To all of the naysayers out there, you are wrong. I actually run a business and i am doing just fine in the collectibles market. A lot of these Sideshow/Hot Toys figures are appreciating in value and have become quite the investment. I also

I wish you the best of luck in your business. I worked in "collectables" for about 10 years, original and limited edition prints/posters (movie/music) and "Low Brow" art. The market always fluctuates... SS & HT (and all in between) haven't been around all that long, so time will tell. But I wouldn't say "toys" in general are the best investment.

I think it really depends on the type of collectibles you buy and if there is a continuous market that keeps generating new collectors. With all the collectibles I bought and sold, I have pretty much just broken even on everything which is pretty good since I'm not losing money. However, the more I get into collecting PF statues and Hot Toys, I think that won't be the case for long!!! :slap

Maybe for now but in the long haul I'd say these will NOT be quite a good investment. The reason all the "old" stuff is valuable is because us kids PLAYED with our toys and beat them to hell (ahhh... the good old days.) Now everyone saves these expecting them to be valuable. In 20 years it will be easy to find everything that's produced now in mint condition.

Actually the management of the collectibles as a "hobby" and as an "investment" is totally different, when you are dealing with it as a hobby you are buying what YOU like, while if you dealt with as an investment you will buy what THE MARKET like so you can increase your chances of re-selling them again.

But if you are just asking if you can make money on r-selling whatever you have in your collection? I will say yes but the timeline will differ from a piece to the other, some will take months and some will sell in a few days.. I mean on thievesbay for sure.

I'm new to statue collecting myself, but I was wondering, is now the height of the hobbies popularity? I convince myself and my wife that it's ok to spend 500 on a statue because it doesn't depreciate. I thought that was the case based off of the prices in the for sale threads and eBay. Am I going to be losing money on all these collectibles? I'm going to have to start being more picky of what I buy if that's the case.

I would never invest in any of this. I collect both 1/6 and some statues but I really have no plans to ever sell. I buy what i really enjoy and feel i might still enjoy in 20 years. If i do ever decide to sell some or all of my collection and end up selling for a lot less than what i paid, I won't mind that much because i will have enjoyed my collection enough to make up for it.

I'm new to statue collecting myself, but I was wondering, is now the height of the hobbies popularity? I convince myself and my wife that it's ok to spend 500 on a statue because it doesn't depreciate. I thought that was the case based off of the prices in the for sale threads and eBay. Am I going to be losing money on all these collectibles? I'm going to have to start being more picky of what I buy if that's the case.

Depends on a lot of factors. Which one were you thinking about?

I don't know if this hobby is more popular now than it has been before. Either way, it doesn't mean that pieces make for better investments. On the contrary. Companies will push out larger and larger edition sizes because of the increased interest and growing collector population. With these large edition sizes, the value of an individual piece will either drop or stay at around MSRP.

I generally advice against treating collecting as an investment. Sure, you can sometimes earn a lot of money on long sold out pieces, but those are becoming rarer and rarer. It's difficult to predict what will become a grail piece, and SSC are being secretive about edition sizes of upcoming pieces almost to the point of it being sold out once you know for sure.

I doubt you will ever lose much money on collecting. Unless you treat your pieces carelessly. With the proper amount of patience, you will at least be able to earn your expenditures back. Unless what you have bought is utter crap. :)

So far I've bought Conan beast dio, Joker PF, and Punisher Com. I love them all, and can only see selling the Joker in the future. As for what I'm looking at now, I was thinking about the green hulk comi. I want a Hulk statue in my collection and really love this one, but I worry about paying 500 for it. I keep paying inflated prices for older pieces because I just got into collecting a handful of months ago. I have preordered many down the road, but there are so many awesome pieces that I missed. But I worry about spending 500 on a 3 year old statue then seeing it lose value in a few years. I guess I'm just wondering if I joined in to this hobby at the height of it, and that's why prices are high.... To be honest, I like these statues too much to stop buying them, but I was ust wondering about the investment aspect also.

Thanks a lot for the reply, Darth! Very informative and insightful. Now I'm gonna go spend some more money :)

And the name of your business?

Even if these collectibles go up in value, there not going to sky-rocket. Your not going to sell a $500 PF for $5000. You may make $50 profit here and there, big deal. Don't expect to become a millionaire.

Even if these collectibles go up in value, there not going to sky-rocket. Your not going to sell a $500 PF for $5000. You may make $50 profit here and there, big deal. Don't expect to become a millionaire.

I agree. I thought about it the past few days, and I am now happy with the mindset of not trying to get rich doing this. I think I need to keep the amount of space I have in mind, and collect accordingly. If I can break even on my pieces, then I got to enjoy the statue for free.

Back