Indy 4: May 2008

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Spear of Destiny would be good too.

Something like:
Hitler had it in the bunker and the Russians took it back to Moscow and have discovered how to unleash it's power in a way greater than a nuclear bomb. If Indy can't recover it the Soviets could upset the cold war balance and take over the world or even destroy it.

Darklord Dave said:
The Spear of Destiny would be good too.

Something like:
Hitler had it in the bunker and the Russians took it back to Moscow and have discovered how to unleash it's power in a way greater than a nuclear bomb. If Indy can't recover it the Soviets could upset the cold war balance and take over the world or even destroy it.

Dark Horse comics already did the Spear of Destiny.

Dark Horse did an Indiana Jones series? I did not know that.

But you know - I think some others had "done" the Holy Grail before Indy 3, too.

Lucas kept mum about the plot, but said that the latest action flick will be a "character piece" that will include "very interesting mysteries."

Hmm... a character piece...

Jurasic Park and War of the Worlds? I hope it's not Indy learning to be a better dad.

pjam said:
Lucas kept mum about the plot, but said that the latest action flick will be a "character piece" that will include "very interesting mysteries."

Hmm... a character piece...

Hmmm indeed. I wonder what Lucas deems comprises a "character piece"

dekadentdave said:
Dark Horse comics already did the Spear of Destiny.

Yea, Constantine already did that, don't want to see that again for a while. Indy already did two giant biblical mysteries (Ark and Holy Grail), if they do anything biblical, it should be widely known. Hope Indy IV doesn't turn out to be a Rocky V....

What does "character piece" usually mean? I'm not very familiar with movie lingo.

Many are doubting that Harrison Ford can pull off the action scenes like he could back in the 80's. By calling it a character piece, Lucas is alerting us to the fact that it will be a lot more about the character of Indiana Jones and less about action and stunts and fight scenes. There will be a lot of character-based humor and adventure, but we will be less likely to see Indy fist fight a giant Nazi on an air strip.

tomandshell said:
Many are doubting that Harrison Ford can pull off the action scenes like he could back in the 80's. By calling it a character piece, Lucas is alerting us to the fact that it will be a lot more about the character of Indiana Jones and less about action and stunts and fight scenes. There will be a lot of character-based humor and adventure, but we will be less likely to see Indy fist fight a giant Nazi on an air strip.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

I mean, Indy IS "action-adventure". Wasn't the ad for the second one, "If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones"?

Wor-Gar said:
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

I mean, Indy IS "action-adventure". Wasn't the ad for the second one, "If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones"?

Yep WG, Indy meant action.

To me character piece in this case means Sumner won't shell out the additional 100 mil they wanted for the production budget (and upfront fees)...

We saw what happened with MI:3, nuff said...:D

It's not like SW where George owns the whole thing, but he could co-finance if Paramount gets antsy about the budget. But I'm sure with Ford, Spielberg and Lucas aboard Paramount will be throwing money at it.

And I'd say Crusade was a character piece. We learned a lot about Indy's backstory and what made him the man he is. But usually a character-piece is something where the lead character grows and learns something.

I'm sure the reason is very simple: Ford is old. So is the whole gang. I doubt the idea of running around and blowing things up appeals to them anymore. But character does. They are at an age where they need more to get them out of bed to go to the set. Plus, they all must realize that Ford just won't be able to carry Indy off with the same swagger as he did when he was 38. And if he tried, we'd all probably be critical of it. So they default to character... to slow things down and make it more emotional/intelligent.

Thing is, I still like the running around and blowing things up. :D

Wor-Gar said:
I'm sure the reason is very simple: Ford is old. So is the whole gang. I doubt the idea of running around and blowing things up appeals to them anymore. But character does. They are at an age where they need more to get them out of bed to go to the set. Plus, they all must realize that Ford just won't be able to carry Indy off with the same swagger as he did when he was 38. And if he tried, we'd all probably be critical of it. So they default to character... to slow things down and make it more emotional/intelligent.

Thing is, I still like the running around and blowing things up. :D

So basically what we have is essentially another two hour episode of the Young Cindy Chronicles but with Old Indy. This means that Indy IV will be the Phantom Menace of the series.

Back