If there is no fellowship from SS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wouldn't go that far, the words I have heard lately are exactly about how cool Legimrod is, as new ppl consider getting another statue and wonder which to get. Afterwards of course, they to then all agree how great a statue it is.

I was talking more about the statue being an issue. Not anything against it being a good piece. LOTR doesn't get talked about a lot outside of the here and there.

Well, we know the LSB's are next to dead and questions are being asked about the dio line (those will get very loud if nothing new shows up during SDCC), but sometimes being new but in many ways the same as before isn't always a good thing. Besides, we all know how fast SS can put things on hold if expectations aren't being meet.

The Dio's could be yes. I would like to think being a statue line would help it but a lot depends on things SS does with the line, but also some people's willingness to get past certain things. They might and they're a business so I can't blame them if it doesn't sell.

I'm don't think it's an open minded issue, I think it's a cost/space issue. Sure, you see some ppl that have just about ever IM statue made or everything related to a specific character, be it statue, bust, prop, poster, etc. But for the most part, I get a feeling that many limit themselves to one or two of the same character. With just so much coming out now day's, across so many licenses (and that ignores custom kits), just about everyone only has so much money and space to display it all. That's why I think more are likely to go with 'just the one' for a character. Now sure, that could be the new marquette line, but if they are happy with the one they have, it could just as easy be waiting it out to see what else gets released.

I think its more a money issue possibly of anything you listed. If someone makes a really nice piece and people can afford it they will do so.

Arwen was an open edition as well, and I get a feeling a fair few were made. So the statue had a lot against it, but with nothing since and a nice controlled ES, I just don't think judging a new one on the past one is all that fair. Besides, SS seem to think it should do OK, as it looks like Arwen will be the first of 'secondary' characters to be released, with all the others being fellowship members which aren't Hobbits.

She was and I'm sure a few were made. A nice controlled ES would help it out. I just don't know if this will move great guns but if it sells enough to help the line I'm all for it. :yess: The line is gonna have to get the ball moving for the Hobbits to be made which I think will happen.

So you've already shown that choices are being made. Even with the SSW Gandalf being 'third', your still torn between the PF and the new maquette.

Well, to be fair. I'm trying to decide if I want the PF and the Maquette or just the maquette. Yes, though people do have a choice coming I don't disagree with that at all.

Lets face it, the new Gandalf Ex doesn't even have an ES yet, so either it's a large edition size (and I think we all agree that would be a very bad idea) or it's just not selling that fast.

Yeah, thats gonna be interesting to see how it does. A large ES would not be a good thing so yeah I agree.

Then of course, Weta may come out with their character line at SDCC, so that could add another fly to the ointment, making for even more choice.

I'm curious to see what Weta does with this. Should be interesting both from what they do and a price point as well.

Got any pics of that. Especially if we go back to the fellowship group, what does say an Aragorn PF look like next to a couple of SSW Hobbit's, can Merry even reach his knee caps :lol

No, I guess I never took any. :lol Did find a bunch of old pics of my SSW collection though. :lol

I was talking more about the statue being an issue. Not anything against it being a good piece. LOTR doesn't get talked about a lot outside of the here and there.

Is that LOTR in general or just the old SSW, because if it's general, then SS may have a few extra problems.
Mind you, the new Weta environment line seems to be going pretty well, so enough LOTR talk must be happening, at least for something people want.

The Dio's could be yes. I would like to think being a statue line would help it but a lot depends on things SS does with the line, but also some people's willingness to get past certain things. They might and they're a business so I can't blame them if it doesn't sell.

Only problem there is that both the Dio's and new marquette line are pure 'statue' lines, so that really may not be in the Dio's favour.

I think its more a money issue possibly of anything you listed. If someone makes a really nice piece and people can afford it they will do so.

I'm sure money has a lot to do with it, but even if it is a very nice piece, a number of other things get considered. Over the past couple of years, I think it's as much about the range of choices and options. The supply has grown but especially thanks to the GFC, the demand has fallen back. You can see it in ebay prices, in the number of new items that are either still available or come back on 'second chance', the ever growing list on gift cards.
So you tend to be a lot more picky, especially those that have been in the game for at least a few years. I can easily pick a number of new statues that are very nice and I'd like to have, even the new Aragorn maquette, but for a whole bunch of reasons, I won't be getting it.

She was and I'm sure a few were made. A nice controlled ES would help it out. I just don't know if this will move great guns but if it sells enough to help the line I'm all for it. :yess: The line is gonna have to get the ball moving for the Hobbits to be made which I think will happen.

Well, yes, a number of them will have to sell fairly well for Hobbits to show up and I'll be surprised if Arwen does any more harm to that then say Gandalf or even Gimli.

I'm curious to see what Weta does with this. Should be interesting both from what they do and a price point as well.

With luck we will start to see some results soon, tho if we do, depending on exactly what they come up with, I have my doubts that it's going to be of any help to SS

No, I guess I never took any. :lol Did find a bunch of old pics of my SSW collection though. :lol

Nothing like a trip down memory lane I guess, see anything you wish you still had :lol

Is that LOTR in general or just the old SSW, because if it's general, then SS may have a few extra problems.

Mind you, the new Weta environment line seems to be going pretty well, so enough LOTR talk must be happening, at least for something people want.

Well, both really. I think a lot cause there aren't that many new products hitting the shelves so to speak. So hopefully with new stuff hitting a bit more often that will help.

Only problem there is that both the Dio's and new marquette line are pure 'statue' lines, so that really may not be in the Dio's favour.

May not be. Its been a cool line. There are things I worry about with the new maquette line just like everyone else though.

I'm sure money has a lot to do with it, but even if it is a very nice piece, a number of other things get considered. Over the past couple of years, I think it's as much about the range of choices and options. The supply has grown but especially thanks to the GFC, the demand has fallen back. You can see it in ebay prices, in the number of new items that are either still available or come back on 'second chance', the ever growing list on gift cards.

Of course there are other things to be considered but I think money is the biggest factor. It all starts there of course. Where the choices come in is are the folks collecting also collecting others things and if so how many.

Well, yes, a number of them will have to sell fairly well for Hobbits to show up and I'll be surprised if Arwen does any more harm to that then say Gandalf or even Gimli.

The whole line has to do well IMO for the hobbits to be made. I just think there's more pressure on a piece like Arwen to do well than Gandalf or Gimli.

With luck we will start to see some results soon, tho if we do, depending on exactly what they come up with, I have my doubts that it's going to be of any help to SS

I'm excited to see. It could at least I hope it does in that it gets more folks excited but at the same time I worry that it might hurt. Since there are some folks that won't buy a LOTR product unless it has the Weta name attached to it. No matter how good it is.

Nothing like a trip down memory lane I guess, see anything you wish you still had :lol

Oh yeah it was neat. :lol Sort of. Nothing I really kick myself over though. I enjoyed them while I had them.

Well, both really. I think a lot cause there aren't that many new products hitting the shelves so to speak. So hopefully with new stuff hitting a bit more often that will help.

That may work, having more coming lifts the overall profile, getting more interested and hence helping to sell the new products. Of course it could back fire as well, you don't get enough new ppl interested and half that you do, think, why spend $250 on the new Gandalf, when I can get the old SSW one for half that.

May not be. Its been a cool line. There are things I worry about with the new maquette line just like everyone else though.

I've got 3 LOTR Dio's, in fact the only Dio's I have at all and each is a fine piece, which fits in pretty well with the SSW statues, but again, I'm very selective of which ones I got. One was a 'fill-in', we never had an Eagle statue, the other two, rather small and hence easy to display, plus I got one very cheap and the other is a very limited SDCC exclusive. Add to that, all three make a nice little group together, all around the same theme/location.

Of course there are other things to be considered but I think money is the biggest factor. It all starts there of course. Where the choices come in is are the folks collecting also collecting others things and if so how many.

That's were I think one of the biggest issues are right now, I don't know of many ppl that are very single minded in their collecting (apart from say the old duffer above). Sure, around half of my collection is LOTR related, but that's as much about getting all the main characters, etc that I wanted. I have that now, so anything new is more likely to be other related, as I even pass on some things to save money and space for what I hope I'll be able to get in the future.
Now, I'm not saying all plan and focus like me, but just about everyone seems to be making choices across many licenses.
And just to make it topic specific, if there is no fellowship from SS? Well, frankly, I don't care, I already have my fellowship, so I'm good.

The whole line has to do well IMO for the hobbits to be made. I just think there's more pressure on a piece like Arwen to do well than Gandalf or Gimli.

Well, the Gandalf Ex finally hit waitlist, so if the ES is about the same as Aragorn, then that was way slower and if it's less, then that's still not a good sign. No way could it be more, could it, with a Reg of around double that would have to be way to large an ES. Especially as many must have 'safety orders' in, waiting for the PF or thinking about which to cancel.
So yes, the whole line would need to do well, but if from a fellowship point of view, if the non-Hobbits can't do well, then what hope do actual Hobbits have.

I'm excited to see. It could at least I hope it does in that it gets more folks excited but at the same time I worry that it might hurt. Since there are some folks that won't buy a LOTR product unless it has the Weta name attached to it. No matter how good it is.

If anything, it's going to hurt SS and being all sculpt, the Dio and new maquette lines would have to be at the biggest risk. Especially, as you say, some just don't buy if it isn't Weta, which is fair enough, they did make the films and I highly doubt the quality will be any less then SS. So if they come out with something soon, that really appeals, it's got to impact the new SS line, doesn't it?

If Hobbits are so reliant on other side characters doing well, then what is keeping the bulk of the LOTR discussion threads going? Because it sure seems that a fair few people are counting on them being made :dunno

And I would also point to FlyandFlight's little quote he carries at the end of each post. It certainly has merit :wink1:

That may work, having more coming lifts the overall profile, getting more interested and hence helping to sell the new products. Of course it could back fire as well, you don't get enough new ppl interested and half that you do, think, why spend $250 on the new Gandalf, when I can get the old SSW one for half that.

I would think the more the better to a degree. If it lifts it more into the eye of the populous thats a good thing. Of course it could backfire for everyone thats as much in play as the other. That would be great if there where a crap load of them on ebay like there used to be. Thats not the case though anymore.

I've got 3 LOTR Dio's, in fact the only Dio's I have at all and each is a fine piece, which fits in pretty well with the SSW statues, but again, I'm very selective of which ones I got. One was a 'fill-in', we never had an Eagle statue, the other two, rather small and hence easy to display, plus I got one very cheap and the other is a very limited SDCC exclusive. Add to that, all three make a nice little group together, all around the same theme/location.

The Dio line is awesome. I've had a few of them and enjoyed them. Its really a very nice line.

That's were I think one of the biggest issues are right now, I don't know of many ppl that are very single minded in their collecting (apart from say the old duffer above). Sure, around half of my collection is LOTR related, but that's as much about getting all the main characters, etc that I wanted. I have that now, so anything new is more likely to be other related, as I even pass on some things to save money and space for what I hope I'll be able to get in the future.

Thats the issue with any line anymore. A lot of people multitask when it comes to collecting. I think with this line it will be the case but I hope its given a chance by collectors who stay open minded as well as SS giving it chance to flourish.

Well, the Gandalf Ex finally hit waitlist, so if the ES is about the same as Aragorn, then that was way slower and if it's less, then that's still not a good sign. No way could it be more, could it, with a Reg of around double that would have to be way to large an ES. Especially as many must have 'safety orders' in, waiting for the PF or thinking about which to cancel.

Yeah, saw it hit the WL last night. A bit slower than I expected but thats ok. I expect the ES to be around what GTG was honestly. We shall see though. The thing is the GTG PF if ships on time I think starts next month. Its gonna be out months in advance of the statue. So if you really wanted both it could be done.

So yes, the whole line would need to do well, but if from a fellowship point of view, if the non-Hobbits can't do well, then what hope do actual Hobbits have.

They have a fools hope at least.

If anything, it's going to hurt SS and being all sculpt, the Dio and new maquette lines would have to be at the biggest risk. Especially, as you say, some just don't buy if it isn't Weta, which is fair enough, they did make the films and I highly doubt the quality will be any less then SS. So if they come out with something soon, that really appeals, it's got to impact the new SS line, doesn't it?

I dont think so. I really don't. It will for some who just cannot get past anything LOTR not being made by Weta but I don't think most collectors really care about that. Only a "select" few. Like I said earlier I think it will help SS more than hurt as it should generate more interest but a lot will depend on how much Weta gets out there and pushes there stuff. As far as collecting companies go they're still a baby in the game.

If Hobbits are so reliant on other side characters doing well, then what is keeping the bulk of the LOTR discussion threads going? Because it sure seems that a fair few people are counting on them being made :dunno

I think a lot of people have a strong hope and faith that they will get made.

And I would also point to FlyandFlight's little quote he carries at the end of each post. It certainly has merit :wink1:

Nothing wrong with a good "discussion" if you look at it that way. Just wait though till we get to if they make a GTW and its black like the ML or if SS white is the whitest of all. ;)

I would think the more the better to a degree. If it lifts it more into the eye of the populous thats a good thing. Of course it could backfire for everyone thats as much in play as the other. That would be great if there where a crap load of them on ebay like there used to be. Thats not the case though anymore.

True, not as much SSW on ebay at the moment, tho given the drop in prices lately, unless you really need to sell, why would you list anything.
So, yes, it could go either way at the moment, maybe if the Hobbit gains full steam, that could help more then anything.

Thats the issue with any line anymore. A lot of people multitask when it comes to collecting. I think with this line it will be the case but I hope its given a chance by collectors who stay open minded as well as SS giving it chance to flourish.

I don't see collectors being any less open minded then with anything else, they will just weigh it all up and make a choice. It's just that now, there is so much choice and very little of it is cheap, and half the time, it seems that one new thing gets dropped for the next new thing.

Yeah, saw it hit the WL last night. A bit slower than I expected but thats ok. I expect the ES to be around what GTG was honestly. We shall see though. The thing is the GTG PF if ships on time I think starts next month. Its gonna be out months in advance of the statue. So if you really wanted both it could be done.

True, the PF will be out much sooner, but then around when Gandalf is likely to ship, so does a whole mass of other SDCC pre-orders. Which do you think will get the chop first, the Gandalf statue, were people already have the PF or something else, say Avatar related that they don't have anything else of already. I have a feeling I know which is more likely to be cancelled first.

I dont think so. I really don't. It will for some who just cannot get past anything LOTR not being made by Weta but I don't think most collectors really care about that. Only a "select" few. Like I said earlier I think it will help SS more than hurt as it should generate more interest but a lot will depend on how much Weta gets out there and pushes there stuff. As far as collecting companies go they're still a baby in the game.

Yes, Weta is pretty small compared to SS, but the profile seems to be raising again. Tho how much that would help SS from a LOTR point of view, remains to be seen and at this stage, I'm not convinced there are enough LOTR collectors to go around. Of course, once again, the Hobbit may help with that, if it gets off the ground any time soon.

I truly think that the GtG maquette had a hard time selling out because most people interested in the character had already purchased the PF.

This is true in my case at any rate. I didn't see the need to buy a 2nd Gandalf statue when I don't even have the PF in hand yet. I think this should be taken into account before we worry about how long it took Gandalf to sell through.

With all the new things that are up for sale right now, I think it sold out in good time. I'm sure Sideshow take this into consideration. Also, I'm sure they aren't saying.....well, this didn't sell out in 24 hours so it isn't a success.

I actually canceled my PF GtG in favor of the maquette. I do think the "supposed" long time it took to sell out is because the PF wasn't that much ahead of it.

While I don't have the space for the Fellowship in PF form, this new line, at least to me, suits the series perfectly and being smaller, I will be able to get the whole Fellowship. I hope (crossing fingers, toes and whatever else helps)!

That line of the actual newsletter of SS GTG gives new hope for a complete FS of PFs:

'Make sure you fill out your Fellowship collection by placing a Pre-Order for Mithrandir through one of two payment options;'

A fellowship of PFs would be outstanding!

Back