How to shrink a head a 1/6 head?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think I have any hydrospan left. I will if I do and if it is still okay.
I actually ordered it in Europe
https://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1009669
They have fair prices, because it is for education. They also have some cool GITD stuff like tubes you could use for Bane.
You can choose the expanding or the contracting/shrinking version.
The portions are smaller and therefore cheaper to try out.
The shrinking one you mix with 4 or 5 same sizes of ice water. You have to try it a bit to get the right size you want.
Smaller areas shrink quicker than thicker areas. So the best is to wait until the schrinkage is complete. You can cast earlier like I did with the Lion-O, but you see he is a bit bloated in the face.

I hope this helps :)

Wat head do you want to shrink? Maybe I already have it?

Ps:
This is an example of the expanding one. The Clawfull head was the same scale as the Skeletor head:
c4610a5c.jpg

Almost all the head you see in the second picture, I would love to shrink them around 10% smaller

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105924

I have been sent a Mac head from Predator and next to my other figures he looks, head wise out of scale and only wants to be increased in size by 10%

10% is not an option with Hydrospan, sorry. I thought you wanted to ge to another scale.
The minimum is 40% shrinkage. Sorry to get your hopes up.
:(

HydroSpan 400 resin / water solution Gel Time Size of finished part Compared to Master (100%)
Less than 1 part water to 1 part resin is not recommended
1 Part Resin/ 1 Part Water 1 min 0 sec 59% of original size
1 Part / 2 Parts 1 min 10 sec 45%
1 Part / 3 Parts 1 min 15 sec 36%
1 Part / 4 Parts 1 min 15 sec 30%
1 Part / 5 Parts 1 min 15 sec 27%
1 Part / 6 Parts 1 min 20 sec 23%
1 Part / 7 Parts 1 min 19 sec 21%
1 Part Water/ 8 Parts Water 1 min 30 sec 19% of original size

I believe there is a product out there called reduce it. You will need to make a mold of the larger head and use the reduce it in that mold. The head will reduce in size after molded.

Exactly the same process as the Hydrospan.

I Have a sculpt that i need to shrink by 5 - 10%, so after skimming a few sites I found that polyester resin shrinks an average 7% after its cured. Is it possible to just mold your original, cast in polyester resin, and then remold after shrinkage? Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I Have a sculpt that i need to shrink by 5 - 10%, so after skimming a few sites I found that polyester resin shrinks an average 7% after its cured. Is it possible to just mold your original, cast in polyester resin, and then remold after shrinkage? Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I Havent tried it but had the same idea, alltough in my experience polyester resin usually shrinks upto 5% no more, so u may need to repeat the process a couple of times.

For the mac head I would suggest increasing the size to where ya could decrease with next version. Just my 2 cents.

After trying a few things I've discovered the best bet for achieving a minimal amount of reduction in size for a head/part etc., is to create a latex mold. Build up several layers, in my case I painted on about 7-8 layers until I felt the thickness was strong enough to hold the shape of the headsculpt after demolding. After all the layers of latex have been painted on and the latex has had sufficient time to cure you can make a mother mold to ensure the shape of your casting will not be deformed. I chose to skip this step and just be careful when casting. Then it's just a matter of recasting your piece in resin, wax etc. here's an example of what I was trying to achieve. The sculpt was a little too big, but not so much that It needed drastic Shrinkage. I recasted I wax so I could continue to refine the sculpt.
94DDB0E9-870B-4889-B972-D1770C7CF11B-209-00000015E5CC09F9.jpg

I have a head that is 55mm but can do with 3mm shrunken off in size. What would be the best way around this? Someone said to cast the head, cast the cast and cast the cast again. Though would all the fine little details get lost with each cast?

I have a head that is 55mm but can do with 3mm shrunken off in size. What would be the best way around this? Someone said to cast the head, cast the cast and cast the cast again. Though would all the fine little details get lost with each cast?

Not really. In fact, I have done it before and the details actually got over powering. It looked like when you adjust sharpen in Photoshop too much. If that makes sense. It will start to distort the head shape also. Resin shrinks more the larger the area, so the head will shrink faster than say the nose or ears.

Thanks robbie, good info :) yeah I noticed the indiana jones premium format head looks a bit weird shrunken down, like slightly deformed. So it is the actual resin that shrinks? I didn't know this! :D

So polyester resin is the best for shrinkage, though what's the best for non shrinkage?

I am going to Silpak the Vendor for Re-Reduce-IT. I will let everyone know how the product works as I have some things I want to reduce heads included. In watching the Hydrospan 400 video it looks like it reduced the original way to much to be really accurate in reduces slightly larger objects.

Back