How to clean sideshow premium format figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gundamric

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi guys i was wondering if anybody knows a good way to clean the cloth on Premium format figures and just some general maintenance tips for statues whether they are comiquettes or premium format figures I appreciate all the responses thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

done

image.php

Thats how I do mine. Nothing cleans a statue better than a hose and a scourer

Yup...takes the paint right off...looks like new after!

Seriously, though, just gently dust them off. You can use swiffer dusters, q-tips work well for tight areas, or you can use an air blower of some kind (you can get electronic ones, compressed air cans can sometimes discharge a liquid, so be careful with those).

As someone mentioned above, the best way to keep them clean is to put them in a case (either an acryilic case, or some kind of cabinet with doors like a Besta or a PAX fro ikea).

Acrylic cases.

Glass cases. Acrylic could outgas and leave a cloudy film on the statues over a long period of time. Glass is also more transparent and thus makes a better display.

Vacuuming carefully is the way to clean fabric. If you try to blow the dust off, some of it will be driven into the fabric instead.
I would use a super soft lint free cloth dampened with distilled water to wipe down dust. I might use a car wash soap in the water, and then wipe again with a cloth with only distilled water, then blow dry or use another soft cloth to blot the water off.
Rubbing should be kept to a minimum to prevent scratching glossy parts or polishing very matter parts.

Sure a feather duster might be soft, but are the particles of dust soft? if not, the particles of dust could scratch the paint like fine sandpaper when it is dusted off with the feather duster.
That is why cleaning wet is safest. It is no different that cleaning a car's paint. The paint is similar, except the paint on statues is probably even softer than automotive paint, and yet automotive paint still gets scratched, even when washing wet, without proper technique. Cleaning a car dry will guarantee the causing of ultra fine scratches.

Glass cases. Acrylic could outgas and leave a cloudy film on the statues over a long period of time. Glass is also more transparent and thus makes a better display.

Vacuuming carefully is the way to clean fabric. If you try to blow the dust off, some of it will be driven into the fabric instead.
I would use a super soft lint free cloth dampened with distilled water to wipe down dust. I might use a car wash soap in the water, and then wipe again with a cloth with only distilled water, then blow dry or use another soft cloth to blot the water off.
Rubbing should be kept to a minimum to prevent scratching glossy parts or polishing very matter parts.

Sure a feather duster might be soft, but are the particles of dust soft? if not, the particles of dust could scratch the paint like fine sandpaper when it is dusted off with the feather duster.
That is why cleaning wet is safest. It is no different that cleaning a car's paint. The paint is similar, except the paint on statues is probably even softer than automotive paint, and yet automotive paint still gets scratched, even when washing wet, without proper technique. Cleaning a car dry will guarantee the causing of ultra fine scratches.

I had acrylic cases for years. No issues. You van get them made to custom sizes and are safe to ship. No way to do all that with glass. If you want to go the detolf style fine, but I liked individual cases cor my PFs.

Clean them? It's only once a year or two so just don't worry about it.
once or twice a month :lecture
No problem for you - you sell your stuff after you had it under a year
:lol

Use sticky tape to clean any dust or fluff from fabric.
I use a soft bristled blusher brush to clean the polystone. Brush was pinched from the wife (honestly).

I had acrylic cases for years. No issues. You van get them made to custom sizes and are safe to ship. No way to do all that with glass. If you want to go the detolf style fine, but I liked individual cases cor my PFs.

Agreed...I don't think off gassing is much of an issue based on what I have read. I'm also pretty sure acrylic is considered more clear than glass.

A couple knocks on acrylic from my experience, though, is that it does scratch easily and can be very staticky (seems to pick up every spec of dust in the room...especially right after you take off the masking).

Other than that, acrylic is nice because it's more durable (ie doesn't shatter like glass), lighter, and cheaper (at least around my parts).

I use a paint brush and just dust it off that way. Takes a while but gets the job done. Safest way to clean your statues or figures.

Are you absolutely certain? In car interiors, the only thing that appears cloudy is the glass, because you can see through it normally. The upholstery, dashboard and door panels all look fine. You only notice a difference on the non glass parts after you clean them, and then see a 50/50 comparing the cleaned side with the uncleaned, and then you see the difference in the color.

I agree about durability, though, however glass is easier to clean without scratching, because it is so hard, and so as long as it doesn't suffer a hard impact, it can last hundreds of years or more.
You can have glass cases shipped. For example, I had a dome shaped glass display shipped. It is gorgeous, and looks better than a cube shape on some pieces. It is very elegant. I agree that individual cases look better.

not having your premium formats behind glass is a sin in my opinion. i went from having to clean my statues once a month to once a year and the dust was very minor even then.

Are you absolutely certain? In car interiors, the only thing that appears cloudy is the glass, because you can see through it normally. The upholstery, dashboard and door panels all look fine. You only notice a difference on the non glass parts after you clean them, and then see a 50/50 comparing the cleaned side with the uncleaned, and then you see the difference in the color.

I agree about durability, though, however glass is easier to clean without scratching, because it is so hard, and so as long as it doesn't suffer a hard impact, it can last hundreds of years or more.
You can have glass cases shipped. For example, I had a dome shaped glass display shipped. It is gorgeous, and looks better than a cube shape on some pieces. It is very elegant. I agree that individual cases look better.

The dirty parts of a car interior could be from...you know...normal use ;)

No problem for you - you sell your stuff after you had it under a year

:pfft: I still have a bunch I don't sell. For example talon, Grevious, baroness, ms marvel, she hulk, alien big chap etc has been collecting dust over a year now. They all have this thick white coating on them which looks like snow. Ewww now I may need to dust them soon. Just have no time to do it.

Back