Action Figure Hot Toys - VGM17 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Raiden

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raiden being the main guy in MGS2 was the best thing to even happen to Solid Snake. From Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, And even MGS he portrays us, the player. Who has no clue what is going on. So he is constantly being down talked and treated like an idiot by both his own team who half the time treat him like an expendable pawn and by his foes who also equally treat him like an idiot. In MGS2 because we wernt snake it give him the chance to actually be the one in-the-know. And then Raiden was given the clueless boots.

I think in MGS1 he said " the reality doesnt live up to the legend ". And i think this is true, because Meryl was looking at him from the outside. Like we were in MGS2. But for the most time when you actually play as him everybody you meet calls you an idiot and at the end of every game you find out you did something counter-productive.

Which is why pretty much a lot of people jumped on to Big Bosses wagon. And im not a mindless follower, but i do also prefer Big Boss. Not for actor, or game stand point. But from an overall significance in story standpoint.
Honestly I love Snake, but my appreciation for villains is what swayed me over to love Big Boss even more (possibly being my favorite protagonist in MGS at all). Not because "erm mah gerd, Big Boss>Solid Snake", but because I truly came to appreciate his role as the tragic villain, the hero that fell in light of trying to achieve something beyond what his mentor had wanted. I do like the interesting contrast between the two: Snake is more willing to kill yet he would rather live a normal life, whereas Big Boss prefers sparing people yet he's a character that slowly comes to accept the role of a soldier in a never-ending battle.

I do hate how people have come to jump on the Big Boss bandwagon, but at the same time, it makes me hate the nostalgic fans even more when they brandish Solid Snake around as the be-all-end-all of Metal Gear and how MGS1 is the only good game. It's become this moronic circle-jerk that ends up making the fans look ridiculously stupid on both sides.

I also liked Raiden's role in MGS2, never hated him one bit. He worked as an audience-surrogate, and it managed to put Solid Snake into a great position as a mentor-like figure for him, in which some of his best lines actually come from MGS2. In turn, I also liked his developments in MGS4 and MGR enough to really like him as a character. Now despite some folks claiming him to simply being a Gray Fox-wannabe (seriously? the nostalgia-fanwank for MGS1 is ridiculous sometimes), I always felt his character developed rather uniquely in comparison to Snake and Big Boss (and yes even Gray Fox) enough to stand on its own. The guy wanted to live normally, yet he's pushed in a position (PTSD as a child soldier and becoming a cyborg) where being an outcast is inevitable, forcing him to adopt a lifestyle he's more suited to. In the end, it's revealed that not only does he not mind killing, he actually ENJOYS it. I find that the main difference between Fox and Raiden's roles/back-story is the fact that Fox had already been living out his life as a well-respected and dedicated soldier under Big Boss's wing and his turn as a cyborg is more of a dark/ghostly reflection of his former self, whereas Raiden's case was more similar to child abuse where he's turned into an actual killing machine because of his twisted "father" (Solidus), in which case becoming a cyborg is actually what allowed him to survive and make something productive out of the harsh life he's been living (literally giving him new meaning in his tortured life in contrast to Fox's descent). His fate in becoming a fugitive who has tempered his murderous streak and is fighting for a greater cause is pretty appropriate in this regard.

Raiden being the main guy in MGS2 was the best thing to even happen to Solid Snake. From Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, And even MGS he portrays us, the player. Who has no clue what is going on. So he is constantly being down talked and treated like an idiot by both his own team who half the time treat him like an expendable pawn and by his foes who also equally treat him like an idiot. In MGS2 because we wernt snake it give him the chance to actually be the one in-the-know. And then Raiden was given the clueless boots.

I think in MGS1 he said " the reality doesnt live up to the legend ". And i think this is true, because Meryl was looking at him from the outside. Like we were in MGS2. But for the most time when you actually play as him everybody you meet calls you an idiot and at the end of every game you find out you did something counter-productive.

Which is why pretty much a lot of people jumped on to Big Bosses wagon. And im not a mindless follower, but i do also prefer Big Boss. Not for actor, or game stand point. But from an overall significance in story standpoint.

That's a very good explanation there and it very much was the beginning signs of Kojima's kookiness. I know he likes to put subtle swipes at the fans here and there and that was a big slap in the face.

However, I think it brought down the Metal Gear Solid series as a tad and was possibly pivotal in launching the "Big Boss" storyline. Yes, we already knew Solid Snake was a legend, yes we know they were trying to "recreate" Solid Snake with the whole Big Rig/Dead Cell scenario but they portrayed Raiden as a complete moron. And the whole nude stealth scene amplified the lunacy that Kojima replaced the protagonist for the second half of the game.

He was such a joke that they made Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance or whatever-it-is-called with the ability to play Solid Snake in the Big Rig sequence. They poked fun at Raiden with his gay Russian counterpart "Raikov" and finally tried to give him a cool factor by making him a cyborg ninja.

However, I see the character as an absolute failure. I like the perception and reasoning you describe as him as a reflection of the player but by then we already knew what it was like to be in Snake's shoes. We had played Metal Gear Solid (and the previous ones if you had the chance), we did the Tanker sequence as the efficient stealth artist that Solid Snake is and then to be ROBBED of being Snake for the second half of the game in favor of this bum? Sorry, I can't forgive that. Maybe if they made Raiden less of an idiot, less naive, and less of a prototypical Japanese Bishonen then maybe it could've worked out slightly better.

I think they later on of course realized their mistake and tried to rectify it but the damage was done. If anything, it did help clear a path for the "Big Boss" storyline of MGS3. I'm just disappointed that the next time I got to play Snake, he's this "old man" character and has been pushed aside in favor for Big Boss's mess of a story.

Yes, I'm a Solid Snake fanboy.

That's a very good explanation there and it very much was the beginning signs of Kojima's kookiness. I know he likes to put subtle swipes at the fans here and there and that was a big slap in the face.

However, I think it brought down the Metal Gear Solid series as a tad and was possibly pivotal in launching the "Big Boss" storyline. Yes, we already knew Solid Snake was a legend, yes we know they were trying to "recreate" Solid Snake with the whole Big Rig/Dead Cell scenario but they portrayed Raiden as a complete moron. And the whole nude stealth scene amplified the lunacy that Kojima replaced the protagonist for the second half of the game.

He was such a joke that they made Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance or whatever-it-is-called with the ability to play Solid Snake in the Big Rig sequence. They poked fun at Raiden with his gay Russian counterpart "Raikov" and finally tried to give him a cool factor by making him a cyborg ninja.

However, I see the character as an absolute failure. I like the perception and reasoning you describe as him as a reflection of the player but by then we already knew what it was like to be in Snake's shoes. We had played Metal Gear Solid (and the previous ones if you had the chance), we did the Tanker sequence as the efficient stealth artist that Solid Snake is and then to be ROBBED of being Snake for the second half of the game in favor of this bum? Sorry, I can't forgive that. Maybe if they made Raiden less of an idiot, less naive, and less of a prototypical Japanese Bishonen then maybe it could've worked out slightly better.

I think they later on of course realized their mistake and tried to rectify it but the damage was done. If anything, it did help clear a path for the "Big Boss" storyline of MGS3. I'm just disappointed that the next time I got to play Snake, he's this "old man" character and has been pushed aside in favor for Big Boss's mess of a story.

Yes, I'm a Solid Snake fanboy.
To be fair with Raiden in MGS2, all though he was acting the part of the Naive idiot, in the back there was still him repressing his memories of killing countless people in cold blood. And being trained as a perfect killer. And patriot manipulation to make him act the way he did. But i dont think it come off so good. I am somebody who likes Raiden in MGS2, but i feel the whole Revelation of Raiden being a killer is kind of lost when he is still arguing with Rose on the Codec and he is moaning, and *****ing.

And to be honest, i dont think they meant for Raiden to be as bad *** as he was in MGS4. I think they wanted to have a cyborg ninja clone and looked for a semi-expendable character to take a risk on. And with Raiden they had nothing to lose. And Raiden lucked out. Even in MGS4 he was still the same emo guy, but for the first time it was a 180 from MGS2. We were playing as Solid Snake then all of a sudden we wanted to play as Raiden. I think it was accidental genius. So of course when Revengeance came round they completely cut Rose & the kid out of the story bar a Codec Reference and injected some of Solid Snake in to him. Even his voice is very snake.

Last edited:
Have not played rising.
Would prefer MGS2 or even MGS4.
Will still probably buy.

Hope GZ BB follows.
You should totally play Rising. Its a great game, push Metal Gear franchise aside. The game, as a game is really satisfying.

Howard's interview was like 'Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots, Raiden and Biohazard 6.' GOTP will be separate and I can't ****ing wait for Old Snake. I really hope they make figures from The Phantom Pain too.

The Phantom Pain Big Boss would make for an incredible figure.

That was a thing of beauty, hopefully HT can make one as well and mass produce it. MGS1 Solid Snake would be my first choice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im thinking the price will be 240-250 similiar pricing to Zod who also had intricate armor.

That would actually be a good price range for this. I'm still hoping that it'll be slightly above $200, but I'm not sure how realistic that is :lol.

Wow this looks beautiful, props to Hot Toys. Looks like there is faith in their MGS line. Now we just need to hope they won't do many color variants :lol

i dont think hot toys will do that. isnt color variants for regular figures and statues? i dont think ive ever seen them do a color variant. i mean if you want to include the 89 joker i guess.

Wow this looks beautiful, props to Hot Toys. Looks like there is faith in their MGS line. Now we just need to hope they won't do many color variants :lol

i dont think hot toys will do that. isnt color variants for regular figures and statues? i dont think ive ever seen them do a color variant. i mean if you want to include the 89 joker i guess.

They will do it, Id almost garuntee it. They had to make this all new body (similar to designing an Iron man armor) and they want to get as much money out of it as possible, im sure we'll see a summer ex in white at the very least

okay ill fux with the white version being offered. but any more will be a travesty. were already getting a slow pork with the revos and got gang raped by pak. what next? do we bring in the zoo animals for hot toys?

okay ill fux with the white version being offered. but any more will be a travesty. were already getting a slow pork with the revos and got gang raped by pak. what next? do we bring in the zoo animals for hot toys?

:lol

agreed, what they should have done is made MGS 4 raiden then re released the Ex. as the Revengeance prologue ver..

SOLD!
SP I mean. I don't collect 1/6 anymore but this is an exception. Along with another new Big Boss 1/6 by HT I hope.

Back