Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all understand that rationale but why the smooshed noses? I mean even in Rebels they look more like ANH HT ST.

This is just my theory but, I think it's to better balance the helmet. I owned an Stormie pvc helmet back in the 90's and the front kept falling forward because the front was heavier than the back. By smooshing in the front, it brought the weight closer to the center.

This is just my theory but, I think it's to better balance the helmet. I owned an Stormie pvc helmet back in the 90's and the front kept falling forward because the front was heavier than the back. By smooshing in the front, it brought the weight closer to the center.

I believe it! Ever since I got my first RO HT ST I've done some "light" reading about the helmets, the differences between ANH stunt, hero and Sandy! It's incredible how in depth people will go to make helmets look EXACTLY like the ones in the film. It seemed, at least from my limited reading, that the RO helmets actually aren't that popular because of the symmetry and the indented (smooshed) face. It really is incredible the lengths people are willing to go for that "authenticity" like this quote I read:

"I absolutely hate the symmetry and changes and believe that part of the magic that was in the originals... (All OT sculpts inuding 3po and Vader) stems from the simple fact that human faces are all asymetrical... Our brains percieve that as "real". No one could consciously tell how wonky they were but I REALLY believe that's part of what made these characters so... Again... "REAL" subconsciously."

Personally I just like my HT ST to look good and aside from the painted vents, I'd say that ANH Luke in ST disguise has the best looking one inside and out so far. But that's just my opinion and I definitely respect the time and effort that 1:1 builders put into making theirs look perfect.

The classic OT Stormtrooper helmet has an organic feel to it, partially because of this asymmetry, and all this iconic look is quite hard to capture when not directly cast from an original. This is why most statues and figures, and even 1:1 helmets (not cast from original) don't look quite right. Of course for regular joe even a Rubies Stormtrooper looks right LOL, but if you have an decently formed eye you can spot the differences

The classic OT Stormtrooper helmet has an organic feel to it, partially because of this asymmetry, and all this iconic look is quite hard to capture when not directly cast from an original. This is why most statues and figures, and even 1:1 helmets (not cast from original) don't look quite right. Of course for regular joe even a Rubies Stormtrooper looks right LOL, but if you have an decently formed eye you can spot the differences

Perhaps people with "decently formed eye" prefer the symmetry. The stormtroopers are supposed to represent a faceless army of millions (or billions) of armored, expendable troops who's armor comes off an assembly line where barely anyone is encouraged to show individuality. It makes more sense that each helmet would look symmetrical and identical to the rest. Just In my opinion.

A guest review over at MWC Toys have some nice comparison pictures between ANH and RO.
3f1bbbaf071d452058771464f545f552.jpg
234c4448d2b781e864a24991a90010d4.jpg
1661eb9a7123ef5ce657f6573afee086.jpg

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-022017b.htm

Perhaps people with "decently formed eye" prefer the symmetry. The stormtroopers are supposed to represent a faceless army of millions (or billions) of armored, expendable troops who's armor comes off an assembly line where barely anyone is encouraged to show individuality. It makes more sense that each helmet would look symmetrical and identical to the rest. Just In my opinion.

When you are truly interested in OT SW props and helmets, anything symmetrical kinda looks out of place. I love my HT OT troopers though, and they are almost perfectly symmetrical. Still if you look at real 1:1 Vader, Stormtrooper or TIE Pilot etc. helmets you'll realize that this wonkiness is what is giving them that OT iconic character.

When you are truly interested in OT SW props and helmets, anything symmetrical kinda looks out of place. I love my HT OT troopers though, and they are almost perfectly symmetrical. Still if you look at real 1:1 Vader, Stormtrooper or TIE Pilot etc. helmets you'll realize that this wonkiness is what is giving them that OT iconic character.

jkno Oh I agree about the "wonkiness" of the OT stuff, be it props or replicas. My point, and this will be the last time I'll try to convey it, is the only reason this exists is because SW had basically no budget until RotJ. If I may, a good example of what I'm trying to convey, in my opinion, would be the Iron Man armors. These are perfectly symmetrical on screen and convey that there is indeed a person inside. I'm actually older than SW, only by a little bit, but I remember seeing ESB in the theater. Films, audiences and reception has changed DRAMATICALLY over the past 4 decades to the point where a film, even one of the OT, would not be well received if released now in its original form. I know I'm jumping all over the place and maybe not making much sense but my opinion is really that everything has the tendency to move forward. Look, if ANH was filmed now with a proper blockbuster budget, there is absolutely NO WAY that those helmets would be asymmetrical, PERIOD. And if the HT ANH Stormtroopers came out looking asymmetrical, I'd hate them.

jkno Oh I agree about the "wonkiness" of the OT stuff, be it props or replicas. My point, and this will be the last time I'll try to convey it, is the only reason this exists is because SW had basically no budget until RotJ. If I may, a good example of what I'm trying to convey, in my opinion, would be the Iron Man armors. These are perfectly symmetrical on screen and convey that there is indeed a person inside. I'm actually older than SW, only by a little bit, but I remember seeing ESB in the theater. Films, audiences and reception has changed DRAMATICALLY over the past 4 decades to the point where a film, even one of the OT, would not be well received if released now in its original form. I know I'm jumping all over the place and maybe not making much sense but my opinion is really that everything has the tendency to move forward. Look, if ANH was filmed now with a proper blockbuster budget, there is absolutely NO WAY that those helmets would be asymmetrical, PERIOD. And if the HT ANH Stormtroopers came out looking asymmetrical, I'd hate them.

My answer is much shorter: OT wasn't filmed now and it still became iconic with all those faults. PERIOD.

My answer is much shorter: OT wasn't filmed now and it still became iconic with all those faults. PERIOD.

Yeah, while I agree with the principle of what bling is saying (that it makes sense in-universe the helmets would be symmetrical, and if ANH were shot today they would be) and I like what they did with the RO helmets, I also agree with jkno - the problem is that the stormtrooper helmet became iconic as asymmetrical, and will always be that way throughout the OT.

I'm guessing that for a lot of prop/costume people, getting rid of the asymmetry is a bit like an adored movie star getting his crooked nose fixed after many years - it's clearly still him, but there's something a little off whenever you see him.:lol

A guest review over at MWC Toys have some nice comparison pictures between ANH and RO.
3f1bbbaf071d452058771464f545f552.jpg
234c4448d2b781e864a24991a90010d4.jpg
1661eb9a7123ef5ce657f6573afee086.jpg

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-022017b.htm

There's something very L.A. about the ANH stormie - got the C-cup (versus the RO's A-cup) up top and the perky butt (versus the RO's dumpy "People-of-Walmart" butt) down below.:lecture

The reason I like the originals best is the helmet used on the sandtrooper (stunt helmet I think) just looks cooler and meaner. I got the gold trooper for artistic reasons cause I thought it looked iconic. Interestingly enough it also has the same helmet which I didn't even realise until now. The best plate also looks like a small bikini like others have said. So for me its not necessarily symmetry or wonkiness. It's the above factors.

The reason I like the originals best is the helmet used on the sandtrooper (stunt helmet I think) just looks cooler and meaner. I got the gold trooper for artistic reasons cause I thought it looked iconic. Interestingly enough it also has the same helmet which I didn't even realise until now. The best plate also looks like a small bikini like others have said. So for me its not necessarily symmetry or wonkiness. It's the above factors.

Yeah, I love the gold one as well. As far as I can tell comparing it side by side to the ANH, RO & Sandtroopers is that the gold version is a straight repaint of the ANH ST's, not sandys. The helmet is easy to spot as ANH as the bro line is straight across and the rest of the armor matches the regular ANH troopers as well. By the way, same goes for the Chocoolate ST!

Yeah, while I agree with the principle of what bling is saying (that it makes sense in-universe the helmets would be symmetrical, and if ANH were shot today they would be) and I like what they did with the RO helmets, I also agree with jkno - the problem is that the stormtrooper helmet became iconic as asymmetrical, and will always be that way throughout the OT.

I'm guessing that for a lot of prop/costume people, getting rid of the asymmetry is a bit like an adored movie star getting his crooked nose fixed after many years - it's clearly still him, but there's something a little off whenever you see him.:lol

Great points! Although when I see a movie star that refuses to fix the gap in their front teeth (e.g. Laurence Fishburne) it just makes me wonder WTF, do they carry toothpicks with them everywhere :rotfl

Does anyone know if ESB stormtroopers are any different to ANH ? I wonder if HT will release 1).the same ANH trooper, 2). a different one or 3). none ??

Does anyone know if ESB stormtroopers are any different to ANH ? I wonder if HT will release 1).the same ANH trooper, 2). a different one or 3). none ??

From what I've read, the ESB ST's reused maybe 2-3 of the hero helmets from ANH. I'd imagine with a SW movie every year and moving onto 2 a year, HT will probably concentrate on the new movies (Ep. VIII, IX, Han Solo, Fett (rumored) & Kenobi (rumored)). If they make troopers, I'd imagine they'd be attached to the new ones and OT figures will mainly be main characters like the upcoming ESB Yoda.

Does anyone know if ESB stormtroopers are any different to ANH ?

There are some differences. They just used about a dozen sets of armor and helmets from ANH with some minor changes.

The helmets had decals placed over what was previously hand-painted details (blue stripes and grey areas), and the frown/mouth was painted black instead of grey. The only change I'm aware of they made to the armor is the handplates. The holsters are also on the right side of the belt and the E-11 blasters they used were slightly different as well.

More info here:

https://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ESB-stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

https://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-comparisons.htm

Hot Toys previewed a ROTJ Stormtrooper at SDCC last year. Hopefully they make an ESB trooper as well.

HT16-sizzle-680-1.jpg

From what I've read, the ESB ST's reused maybe 2-3 of the hero helmets from ANH. I'd imagine with a SW movie every year and moving onto 2 a year, HT will probably concentrate on the new movies (Ep. VIII, IX, Han Solo, Fett (rumored) & Kenobi (rumored)). If they make troopers, I'd imagine they'd be attached to the new ones and OT figures will mainly be main characters like the upcoming ESB Yoda.

Only 1 hero helmet was used for ESB. See first link above.

Yes, but troopers always sell and if the armour is 95% already tooled then it's an easy money grab for HT. ANH troopers still get snapped up on eBay for at least retail prices. So demand is still there.

Anyway we will see.

www.starwarshelmets.com is your friend, the best site about helmets, Jez knows his stuff, he also handled quite a few screen used helmets. I talked with him a lot about that, he also said hopefully new stuff will be added later this year. Put his site to favorites and you won't be sorry.

Hot Toys showed us the ROTJ Stormie proto, but no news since then. ESB could be a simple ANH repaint with minor mods, but don't quite see that happening alas, though I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. We are waiting for a few HT figures already and no sign, so I hope at least the ROTJ to be released (and 1/4 TK). I'm pretty sure the new Stormies in the upcoming movies will use the RO type armor, and thus less and less OT Stormies might be released. I hope I'm wrong here too

I am uncertain why, but that black "frown" and those hand guards make me cringe (referencing the HT ROTJ TK). I do appreciate having a chance at all versions, but ANH is good for me. I have three of them and want to do another that resembles my own armor and height.

Back