HOT TOYS STAR WARS licence?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Hot Toys ever get the SW license?

My thread is a poll therefore it's a win:exactly:

Seriously merge threads i don't care.

It's just that when I saw this thread, the letter icon did not have a black dot on it, indicating I did not post anything on this subject. I was like WTF I'm sure I posted on this thread.

Star Wars is pretty much Sideshow's thing, and Hot Toys already have a vested interest in some of the Sideshow figure designs. I don't think it would happen to be honest

I hope they get it one day... even Starkiller from Force Unleashed would be a good start.

I can't see them doing anything to improve armored figures like Vader and Stormies seeing as how they already collaborated with SS on these but I could definitely see HT doing human characters. I'd be really happy if HT decided to offer "upgraded" versions of ANH Han, Luke and Leia kind of like they did with the T2 license as part of their Movie Masterpiece line.

just let them do chewy & color him done...........:lecture

just let them do chewy & color him done...........:lecture

I think only Hot Toys can do Chewie. Sideshow doesn't have the capability to make him.

I can't see them doing anything to improve armored figures like Vader and Stormies seeing as how they already collaborated with SS on these but I could definitely see HT doing human characters. I'd be really happy if HT decided to offer "upgraded" versions of ANH Han, Luke and Leia kind of like they did with the T2 license as part of their Movie Masterpiece line.

HT's collaboration with Sideshow started and ended with the bodies. The suits, armor, helmets, paint, etc, is all Sideshow.

I think only Hot Toys can do Chewie. Sideshow doesn't have the capability to make him.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Meh. Sideshow will make a great Chewbacca if it kills them. If they don't, I promise to eat my boot.

Meh. Sideshow will make a great Chewbacca if it kills them. If they don't, I promise to eat my boot.

I think we'll get the "on hold" spiel before we see Chewbacca. Either that or they'll preview him to coincide with the 3D release of Jedi. :lol

Ouch. :lol

It would make a good finale for the line. 2018 will see Chewie, a bunch of EU that 6 people wanted, and the last figure will be Jar Jar (they wouldn't dare do him any sooner than that).

Anyways, even if HT did/does get i would be happy only getting only a handful of them because i only have a handful of the SS ones cause so many of them SUCK IMO. And i know every HT one would be superb. But right now it don't look like anytime soon, so my only hope is a combination of Medicom and SS figures to fill my SW collection needs.

Yea, but watch them put out version of the figures you don't want :lol

HT wants, they've said so in the past. They continue to say so and admit their collaboration with Sideshow is a chance to have a bit of the "action". That being said Sideshow will continue to run this license until they squeeze every last drop out of it (or until Hasbro takes it back), so barring any meltdown (it can happen look at Corgi and the Star Wars license) I would say that HT officially doing characters will be slim to none as long as SSC is making 1/6 figures. Now if they stop though I don't think SSC can lease out something they themselves are leasing out from Hasbro.

The best shot for HT figures for the Star Wars license is for them to nab the International license from Medicom and then you'd have a similar situation like the TDK license with HT and DCD where the HT figures were supposed to be "only sold in Asian markets" and had to be imported.

Irish is correct in his earlier explanation that it's Hasbro's license which is leased to Sideshow.

I am actually very curious about this, now. Is this just more supposition? Or do we know this for fact? And if we know this for fact, how so?

I am actually very curious about this, now. Is this just more supposition? Or do we know this for fact? And if we know this for fact, how so?

IIRC it was stated as such in the original announcement of the license.

Edit. Heres the press release. https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=1228

Reading it now I really wonder what if any Hasbro contributes here. SSC could really use their help with large scale plastics IMO. Why not utilize Hasbro facilities to help make an "affordable" 1/6th Landspeeder for example?

Imagine if you will, SSC and Hasbro team up to make the landspeeder. Hasbro mass produces the base body, made of plastic. They make like 30,000 units. 27,000 of the units are for Toys R Us. They fill the cheap Landspeeder with Hasbro Luke, Obi-Wan, R2, C3PO. This "cheap" set sells for $150 holiday gift set.

SSC takes the other 3,000 units and utilizes the basic frame but supes it up with a spectacular paint job, much better and detailed interior, etc. Sells for $200 just for Speeder. Hasbro and SSC win. Collectors get options.

Last edited:

I think if Hot Toys got the rights to do 1/6th Star Wars, i doubt you would see them quit after a dozen figures, i think since the licence is so big and most desired by Hot Toys,Star Wars would have its only line away from the Movie Masterpiece line.

I just wanted everyone to know that I punched myself right in the ____ as punishment for seeing this thread.... Right in the ____ing ____. It hurt too....

IIRC it was stated as such in the original announcement of the license.

Edit. Heres the press release. https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=1228

Reading it now I really wonder what if any Hasbro contributes here. SSC could really use their help with large scale plastics IMO. Why not utilize Hasbro facilities to help make an "affordable" 1/6th Landspeeder for example?

Imagine if you will, SSC and Hasbro team up to make the landspeeder. Hasbro mass produces the base body, made of plastic. They make like 30,000 units. 27,000 of the units are for Toys R Us. They fill the cheap Landspeeder with Hasbro Luke, Obi-Wan, R2, C3PO. This "cheap" set sells for $150 holiday gift set.

SSC takes the other 3,000 units and utilizes the basic frame but supes it up with a spectacular paint job, much better and detailed interior, etc. Sells for $200 just for Speeder. Hasbro and SSC win. Collectors get options.

Thanks for the link Prog. I was just looking for that press release and could not find it. Although it is not specific, some of the verbiage does seem to imply that Hasbro still holds the reins in some capacity. I am very curious as to just how much of the reins they still hold.

Reading it now I really wonder what if any Hasbro contributes here.

They contribute nothing. They have leased out the license meaning their logos get slammed onto the boxes, they get a chunk of the profits and SSC can continue making figures. If Hasbro for example lost the license then SSC would as well in terms of 1/6.

Hasbro still holds the reins in some capacity. I am very curious as to just how much of the reins they still hold.

It seems like what the interviews that SSC has posted they work directly with LFL, so think of them as the landlord of the license. They don't own the building nor do they dictate what can be done there but they are always around to collect some money.

HT wants, they've said so in the past. They continue to say so and admit their collaboration with Sideshow is a chance to have a bit of the "action". That being said Sideshow will continue to run this license until they squeeze every last drop out of it (or until Hasbro takes it back), so barring any meltdown (it can happen look at Corgi and the Star Wars license) I would say that HT officially doing characters will be slim to none as long as SSC is making 1/6 figures. Now if they stop though I don't think SSC can lease out something they themselves are leasing out from Hasbro.

The best shot for HT figures for the Star Wars license is for them to nab the International license from Medicom and then you'd have a similar situation like the TDK license with HT and DCD where the HT figures were supposed to be "only sold in Asian markets" and had to be imported.

This is the post i've been looking for. THX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back