Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very happy with this release. Are there issues, indubitably, but set up with royal guards and vader and luke and all i can do is smile.

Got my regular Palpatine this week, after some futzing with the hood I'm happy with his look (didn't need to cut any of the threads either). Had a play around with photos today too.

View attachment 440747

"You've had enough to drink, Sheev - just let it go and we'll get you home....":lol

I don’t have this figure with throne in hand yet. But having the regular briefly it would not be too high on my figure of the year list.

TLJ Luke is easily it for me when it comes to Star Wars. I’d potentially put TLJ Leia higher too. Yondu easily tops Emperor too. Can’t remember all the figures though for 2018. Would need to see a full list.

The tricky thing for figure of the year is what do you do if it's a character that doesn't really have any cool/wow factor (and isn't really all that in demand) yet they do an amazing job of it - like HT TLJ Leia. It's like HT does General Madine and 110% nails him - is that "figure of the year" material, or do the people who wanted Madine quietly cherish the figure and that's it?:lol

Yondu has a super cool factor while TLJ Leia is a -1 on the cool scale. She's like a well-done and in some ways complimentary/memorializing figure of your mom.:lol

I missed this part of your story, TonTon... did you sell your regular and upgrade to Emp + throne?

Had the deluxe on order, but was a little unsure if I wanted it so picked up the regular for retail from HK (after one of the 15% off coupons). Felt a little bare bones without the throne so decided to sell that off and keep my BBTS order, which will finally arrive Tuesday-Thursday. Still plan on having someone repaint the eyes to be more sith though.

"You've had enough to drink, Sheev - just let it go and we'll get you home....":lol

The tricky thing for figure of the year is what do you do if it's a character that doesn't really have any cool/wow factor (and isn't really all that in demand) yet they do an amazing job of it - like HT TLJ Leia. It's like HT does General Madine and 110% nails him - is that "figure of the year" material, or do the people who wanted Madine quietly cherish the figure and that's it?:lol

Yondu has a super cool factor while TLJ Leia is a -1 on the cool scale. She's like a well-done and in some ways complimentary/memorializing figure of your mom.:lol

Good points. -1 though? I think a few more negatives with some umbrella emojis.

Last edited:
Hot Toys Return of the Jedi luke is my top figure of the year i think figure has perfect likeness

Yeah, I’d put ROTJ Luke ahead as well. ESB Boba too. Again it comes down to personal preference, a character’s costume. Emperor has an uphill battle with his plain clothing etc.

So you remove all stitches?
The stiched hood problem begins to be fearsome: some people remove all stitches, some remove none, all claim they get fantastic results... :-(
I guess that if you remove all stitches, what you come up is an updated version of the SSC hood, right?
Does the HT hood have a wire? The sleeves too? If affirmative, don't they help with posing?
m.

Yea when I first mine I just posed him and through him up on the shelf cause I wasn't super impressed but the more I messed with him and tryed diffrent poses he started to be one of my favorites... when it comes to the hood I cut all the stitching holding it to the back front and sides so it comes over his face more you can barely see his face now but gives him that sinister look with the light hitting the bottom of his face...I might try water treating the robe down the line to get it to look a little better but overall I'm happy with him now

I understand bases help keep figures safe, but really, with such a amazing deployment of Imperial Power, I think that you should remove the bases to make the diorama even more believable. Heck, I'd even print out a bunch of sheets and tape them together to act as inexpensive DS floor! Sure you can quickly whip out something with Photoshop!
And while you are at it, why not removing that picture of the DS to instead cover the wall with a printout of the great circular window Palpatine had behind him in ROTJ??
m.

I love the Emperor and throne it’s a great figure and has an amazing sculpt.

I would say it and Tarkin are my favorites due to the sculpts.

Thought I’d share some pics of my setup. As usual pics aren’t great hope you like them.

6b913cc73d5944ee8a457af967c1778a.jpg
b81a258c43feccb37823f81b52d323ab.jpg
55f1f7bbeb1b19d4243a082d3f72a89c.jpg
c943dda0bc95b73b9b7d345221d6cc32.jpg
83cbdbda33762edc03ee6b759444ae43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starduster: your "crossed lightsabers" pic, among the best thus far on this thread!

We’re just too picky. Asking so boldly for things like a Palps chair that fits, a Leia dress that isn’t too short, correct color of ANH Wookiee fur, an Anakin full length cloak...

If you wanna keep collecting and being unhappy then by all means have at it. Personally if i had to complain about the items i spent my money on i would start spending my money on other items whether it be this hobby or one of my other hobbies.

Creighton is damn right.
NDSam: you make the same mistaken assumption as so many around here. The fact that you complain about a fig, doesn't mean that you don't like it. It only means that you don't like what you say you don't like, be it the hands being too big (yet very well sculpted/painted/etc), or the feet hanging at a ridiculous height from the floor (even though the boots are great), or the eyes being the wrong color (even if the overall quality is just a milestone in SW collecting!!!).

Can't you guys just wrap yourselves around this idea??

m.

Got my regular Palpatine this week, after some futzing with the hood I'm happy with his look (didn't need to cut any of the threads either). Had a play around with photos today too.

View attachment 440742

OMGs on that first picture, the texture on the robe is way too coarse when compared with the real thing... Definitely, SSC's is way better. Hands down.

Besides, I think somebody said the fabric is very thick and difficult to deal with. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks,
m.

I dont like the fabric. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it's all over poor Sheev.

Regards,
C.

Hey guys, I've got the deluxe version.. I read the manual book and it said that the batteries are included, but I can't find it anywhere in the tray/box.. so is it included or not?

I understand bases help keep figures safe, but really, with such a amazing deployment of Imperial Power, I think that you should remove the bases to make the diorama even more believable. Heck, I'd even print out a bunch of sheets and tape them together to act as inexpensive DS floor! Sure you can quickly whip out something with Photoshop!
And while you are at it, why not removing that picture of the DS to instead cover the wall with a printout of the great circular window Palpatine had behind him in ROTJ??
m.

Nah, I think his display is a lot more fetching with the backdrop he has. The contrast is great and the colors really pop. Plus it’s unique

Quick question, what’s the actual color of the brooch? I always thought it was metallic, and felt underwhelmed it was black in the HT, i know ht doesn’t reflect accurate colors to their metals though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emperor1.jpg
emperor2.jpg
emperor3.jpg

This is really impressive on display. Wish I had enough room to put Jedi Luke with him.

Just got this guy in. Very well done figure. Does need quite a bit of futzing though.
2fd13e5b58f70b11835a2553d925ba02.jpg

Wonder if this is better than having his feet floating off the floor...[emoji848]
2502aa8983abb84868c65ec95b1373e8.jpg

Edit: aaah see that I’m not the first to do this ;-) I actually think it looks really good with the base under his feet when the figures around him has the same base. Might keep it like this.

Good points. I think it’s near impossible to be 100% objective when each person chooses a figure of the year. Your General Madine example, for instance.

Back