Hot Toys: Prometheus - MOVIE SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is EVERY Prometheus thread full of the same BS over & over & over again?...

711151818.gif

the film's stated budget does, in fact, cover facets of the viral campaign (particularly concerning the 4 viral videos used to promote the film).

i.e. not all of it. Which means extra money not included in the disclosed budget went towards all that extra stuff.

Obviously, as with any film, prometheus had a marketing budget figure that was apart from the stated budget of the film (no one here knows what that figure was).

Yet people are stating that it made huge amounts of money as fact. :lol

Scott's name means nothing to Fox if the "Prometheus" property is deemed a fiscal failure.

It's already been deemed a fiscal failure, at the domestic box office, which is the most important thing to an American movie studio. It never hit #1 and it made significantly less than its budget here (when you factor in Fox not receiving 100% of the box office take). And when you factor in 3-D screenings (which cost more) it becomes clear that the box office gross would've been even less if not for that.

Now.. did it make money overseas? Yes. Did it make money with home media sales? Yes. Did it most likely turn a decent profit after everything was all said and done? Probably. But again, the goal wasn't to break even/make a little money off the back end. Bottom line, it wasn't a hit (financially or critically). Not by any stretch of the imagination. The only consistent praise I saw the movie getting was for its visuals. :lol

Clearly that is not the case, seeing as how the sequel is currently in pre-production.

Pre-production!? :lol:lol:lol:rotfl

It doesn't have a script, a writer, a confirmed cast or crew, nothing. That's some super, super pre-pre-pre-production right there.

To think that Fox would fund a project that is taking on water, just because Scott is attached to it, is ludicrous.

I know. Oh wait.. Fox has actually done that before with Scott.

Kingdom of Heaven and A Good year.

Both movies failed to exceed their budgets at the domestic box office and both movies made the majority of their money overseas/through home media. Sound familiar? And guess what, Fox had no problem funding AGY after KOH. Because of Ridley Scott. Oops.

i.e. not all of it. Which means extra money not included in the disclosed budget went towards all that extra stuff.

Yet people are stating that it made huge amounts of money as fact. :lol

It's already been deemed a fiscal failure, at the domestic box office, which is the most important thing to an American movie studio. It never hit #1 and it made significantly less than its budget here (when you factor in Fox not receiving 100% of the box office take). And when you factor in 3-D screenings (which cost more) it becomes clear that the box office gross would've been even less if not for that.

Now.. did it make money overseas? Yes. Did it make money with home media sales? Yes. Did it most likely turn a decent profit after everything was all said and done? Probably. But again, the goal wasn't to break even/make a little money off the back end. Bottom line, it wasn't a hit (financially or critically). Not by any stretch of the imagination. The only consistent praise I saw the movie getting was for its visuals. :lol

Pre-production!? :lol:lol:lol:rotfl

It doesn't have a script, a writer, a confirmed cast or crew, nothing. That's some super, super pre-pre-pre-production right there.

I know. Oh wait.. Fox has actually done that before with Scott.

Kingdom of Heaven and A Good year.

Both movies failed to exceed their budgets at the domestic box office and both movies made the majority of their money overseas/through home media. Sound familiar? And guess what, Fox had no problem funding AGY after KOH. Because of Ridley Scott. Oops.

Yes, yes, yes and couldn't have put it better.

something tells me that Prometheus 2 might be a box office bomb. A lot of people that saw the first one might not go to the movies, and depending on the plot even some fans might not bother.

Just kind of feels like it might happen. Prometheus had all the hype of Riddle Scott making a new Alien type move, but now that the cat is out of the bag people night not buy into it like they did the first time.

Can I ask, why does it matter?

It doesn't. :lol

The problem is, anytime someone points out the obvious that it wasn't a blockbuster and it didn't make mega-millions and that a sequel (at least for the moment) is essentially wishful thinking and not concrete certain people go into denial mode. You know, like StarPuffCarrotBuns.

Like you said, if they make a sequel.. cool. If not.. oh well.

@ morphosis: i completely agree. :goodpost:

there's really no reason for us to piss and moan at one another. Of the people who dislike the film, who is looking forward to putting up big money for a prometheus HT figure? If you arent interested in the film/figures, why are you here? no big deal either way; not trying to tell people how to spend their time...just seems strange to me. carry on fighting.

@ultradarkspookyimsoevildevil66666666

im here because im excited about the Hot toys prometheus line. Is that OK with you?
neca employee? really? are you being serious?

This thread seriously has the most posts to news ratio on this entire forum. It's pretty rediculous.

that doesn't mean this thread is not a whole lot of fun
plus I have seen a bunch of cool Giger art i had never seen before

It may not have made what they though it would, but it did decent enough and I don't get why people think this tanked with audiences. If you look around at audience polls it does ok....

Rottentomatoes 72% - 161,734 voted
imdb 7.2/10 - 254, 632 voted

thats not a failing mark if your going by audience reactions and these are two of the more popular movie polls people participate in.

It did ok. Not great. but ok. And since the DVD/BR release it seemed to have gotten even more of a following. The week it was released it was #1 over Avengers on DVD/BR.

I think its just the people who didn't like it tend to speak out more, especially on this site.

But whatever, none of this matters. Its in RScott's hands, he's gotten Fox's blessing to make it. If he can put it together, he will...

I am sure the sequel will be made. I just don't think it will be as successful as the first one. It might bomb in the box office.
Sure it will make its money back in DVD sales and rentals

but I don't think the second movie will do as big as the first one. This sequel is a really big risk.

I don't understand this. CarrotBun and Star Puffs don't seem anything alike other than the Noomi avatar. :dunno

Blackmask is an idiot though.

doesn't mean much coming from the guy that has sick fantasies and wants a disgusting dildo shaped like a Hamperpede. :yuck

Anyways I Was not the first one to make that joke about carrotburn being star puffs,
it was kind of obvious in the thread Star Puffs made,
once star puffs stopped posting in that thread Carrotburn appeared to argue in the thread right after. It was pretty fishy.

lBNnWS4.png

Last edited:
Back