Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about attempting this mod on my slightly faded BD MK III and my MK IV this weekend... Couple of quick questions though-

1.) What type of nail polish remover should I use... Regular or Non-Acetone?
2.) What type of spray coat should I use? Gloss or Semi-Gloss? Acrylic? Krylon?
3.) On the BD MK III, the ab piece is also made of rubber (like the undies). How does one get that off to do this technique?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sallah

Last edited:
It's good to see guys on here helping one another out! I'm so glad none of my iron men have faded (knock on wood)

I recieved a sealed Mark VI yesterday and noticed some fading has ocurred which is annoying but at least there's a possible fix.

I'm just unsure whether to attempt it as my track record at taking stuff apart without breaking anything isn't great.

Yo, I am looking for someone that could possibly repaint the "pink panties" on my Mark IV. The color has faded and I would like to have it back to its old glory. I was thinking of having something like this done:

yyzyt.jpg

unsuf.jpg

dtfeo.jpg

Is that something that any body here could and would be willing to do? I was thinking maybe send the part by mail. If you can help, hit me up with a pm and quote (only people from North America, please)

Cheers!

would painting it even fix the issue? or just start the process all over again?

:dunno

Add me to the faded parts list. The back of the neck on my Mark IV has plain faded. The panties are somewhat faded, mostly lost a good deal of the high gloss. The color is still pretty close, maybe fraction of a shade lighter with a tad more goldish metallic hue to it. I think it's the loss of the gloss that contributes the most to how noticable it is. I doubt anyone just looking in my detolf would notice, but I can tell there is a change going on.

The interesting thing is that it's now what, 2 years since they shipped these? I'm surprised it's taken this long. I've been watching for it, and thought I was in the clear. I guess if it's already gone through all the change it's going to, I am pretty lucky. It's not that noticeable if you don't know about the problem and look for it. Even then, you're like "wait, is that faded...no, well maybe, yeah a little". I can't get a good photo exhibiting the color difference, because it's that close and only visible upon close inspection. The back of the neck is completely different, being clearly faded. So, hopefully these would have faded at the same rate, and the panties are as bad as they'll ever be.

Last edited:
Add me to the faded parts list. The back of the neck on my Mark IV has plain faded. The panties are somewhat faded, mostly lost a good deal of the high gloss. The color is still pretty close, maybe fraction of a shade lighter with a tad more goldish metallic hue to it. I think it's the loss of the gloss that contributes the most to how noticable it is. I doubt anyone just looking in my detolf would notice, but I can tell there is a change going on.

The interesting thing is that it's now what, 2 years since they shipped these? I'm surprised it's taken this long. I've been watching for it, and thought I was in the clear. I guess if it's already gone through all the change it's going to, I am pretty lucky. It's not that noticeable if you don't know about the problem and look for it. Even then, you're like "wait, is that faded...no, well maybe, yeah a little". I can't get a good photo exhibiting the color difference, because it's that close and only visible upon close inspection. The back of the neck is completely different, being clearly faded. So, hopefully these would have faded at the same rate, and the panties are as bad as they'll ever be.

Once they go they go quick, mine did :panic:

nope. there are some brand new ones which already have the fading. just the same, you cant really say it's the weather or climate of a certain country as there's crazy statistics. IMO, it's gotta be a certain batch.

It's all about sunlight, it fades everything. I never let my Ironmans set in direct sunlight, most of the time they're in the shadows. When I want them lighted it's with indoor lighting and not even that for very long. I''ve only noticed on my original MK III with some fade, but I'm not the first owner.

I treat my Batmans, and the rest of my Hot Toys for that matter the same way. They're all made of too much rubber and plastic to take any chances.

There's heat too, but it could just be a issue of the paint and the plastic making a chemical change over time as anything else.

Hi guys, just bought a mark 4 from ebay and it does have the pinks panties. What kind of paint should i use? I have a nail gloss polish, will that work or should I buy paint? Thanks

There's a youtube video of a guy who shows you how to fix the pink panties. You only need to wipe that gloss finish off with acetone. The plastic is actually hot rod red. Once that gloss is off it'll be the original color again, though it won't be glossy of course. You can add that again if you want though.

Back