Hot Toys DX Bespin Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's actually some dremel dust on the left side.:lol What I should do is push-in and glue the two sideburns areas down to the side of the face but you can't see that left side gap at all from normal distance. I just don't want to commit to permanently marking the HT head just yet (I only just finished this - hence the dremel dust.) There isn't much more left to dremel under there.:lol It's more a matter of squeezing it in to the face and gluing it to get rid of the slight gap.

Yes, I see that now. The gap is probably what I was seeing as making it look "thick".

[...]I personally think the non-BD Bespin sculpt and overall figure is the best OT Luke likeness and figure thus far. Even if they did a Bespin 2.0, I can't see them knocking the likeness out of the park on it because if the RotJ figure is anything to go by, they're still struggling a bit with his OT likeness. Don't get me wrong, I do think the RotJ sculpt is pretty good, it's most definitely Hamill to me, but it could still be better. Though compared to the SSC one, it looks like a masterpiece. :lol

There's really not a lot to choose from for OT Luke. I'd hold up HT ROTJ and DX07 BD as the 2 best all-around versions, with points to SSC's pilot sculpts (but OMG *not* the paint work) as being excellent likenesses, albeit let-down by other issues.

I like the clean DX07 sculpt and still think it's one of the best Star Wars figures ever done, but the likeness of that version really comes and goes for me. Made it too generically handsome in my eyes.

Yes, I see that now. The gap is probably what I was seeing as making it look "thick".

There's really not a lot to choose from for OT Luke. I'd hold up HT ROTJ and DX07 BD as the 2 best all-around versions, with points to SSC's pilot sculpts (but OMG *not* the paint work) as being excellent likenesses, albeit let-down by other issues.

I like the clean DX07 sculpt and still think it's one of the best Star Wars figures ever done, but the likeness of that version really comes and goes for me. Made it too generically handsome in my eyes.

This was the look I was going for in reshaping the hairpiece. The couple of clumped strands of hair on the right can actually be dragged over and positioned over the open forehead area like in the ref pic. I seem to be replicating a lot of promo shots lately.:lol

I only just finished working on this so I'm going to re-futz the figure and pose it more accurately.

I still think the face is a touch too much older ROTJ Luke and it's not the very best 1/6 Luke we've gotten but I think it's much closer to and ESB look than I ever thought it could be. It's undoubtedly a Hamill likeness even if side-by-side you feel the chubby youth more in ESB Luke in the ref pic. As soon as I put it on the Bespin body it kinda visually clicked for me as Bespin Luke, especially Bespin hallways Luke.

I also think a major plus with this HT ROTJ face is that the paint is better than either of the HT ESB heads - which aren't quite as life-like spot-on compared to this head's paint. They're not yet dated or anything but they are just not quite at the ultra-high level HT has been delivering in the past year or two (Tarkin etc.) whereas this head is.

7c4QqjQ.jpg

I am still considering painting the lower teeth black so just the upper ones show. I may just try it with a tiny piece of black paper before I commit to paint to see what it looks like.

I think it might make his mouth look more like the Hamill-gape you see a lot in the OT. Or... it might look like a bunny rabbit.:lol

The vibe I get from your custom (without having viewed the scene recently) is when Luke walks up to Vader in the carbon freeze chamber and first ignites his lightsaber. May be the eyes being fixed straight ahead.

That scene is actually the vibe I get from the expression on the non-BD Bespin sculpt when it’s looking straight ahead:

908C8B9B-DD51-4072-ABE2-B88B32C92B7A.jpg
5483CAD7-74D9-4FA5-9DC6-43CD93E29DED.jpg

Does anyone have the base for the weather vane for sale?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

This was the look I was going for in reshaping the hairpiece. The couple of clumped strands of hair on the right can actually be dragged over and positioned over the open forehead area like in the ref pic. I seem to be replicating a lot of promo shots lately.[emoji38]

I only just finished working on this so I'm going to re-futz the figure and pose it more accurately.

I still think the face is a touch too much older ROTJ Luke and it's not the very best 1/6 Luke we've gotten but I think it's much closer to and ESB look than I ever thought it could be. It's undoubtedly a Hamill likeness even if side-by-side you feel the chubby youth more in ESB Luke in the ref pic. As soon as I put it on the Bespin body it kinda visually clicked for me as Bespin Luke, especially Bespin hallways Luke.

I also think a major plus with this HT ROTJ face is that the paint is better than either of the HT ESB heads - which aren't quite as life-like spot-on compared to this head's paint. They're not yet dated or anything but they are just not quite at the ultra-high level HT has been delivering in the past year or two (Tarkin etc.) whereas this head is.

7c4QqjQ.jpg

I am still considering painting the lower teeth black so just the upper ones show. I may just try it with a tiny piece of black paper before I commit to paint to see what it looks like.

I think it might make his mouth look more like the Hamill-gape you see a lot in the OT. Or... it might look like a bunny rabbit.[emoji38]
That does look pretty good. I'm playing with SS ROTJ Helmeted sculpt for a possible DX07 clean replacement. I'd like to get it sent off for a repaint and see how it turns out. But if it doesn't I might have to give this a try. [emoji106][emoji106]

Here's some pics of the SS ROTJ Endor sculpt on the DX07 with SS ANH Hairpiece from the Xwing Pilot.FB_IMG_1550469034503.jpegFB_IMG_1550469036791.jpegFB_IMG_1550469043885.jpegFB_IMG_1550469041249.jpegFB_IMG_1550469029243.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree I still love the DX07, but in my opinion it is more of an idealised version of Luke more than actually looking like Hamill.

That does look pretty good. I'm playing with SS ROTJ Helmeted sculpt for a possible DX07 clean replacement. I'd like to get it sent off for a repaint and see how it turns out. But if it doesn't I might have to give this a try. [emoji106][emoji106]

As I said in the other thread, I'd love to see that SSC Hoth hair with the SSC DX ROTJ head.

And yeah, I started experimenting because I have never really liked the non-BD Bespin head so started searching for something else. I really think SSC does a pretty good job with hairpieces (not so much on the DX ROTJ though) in terms of shape, but they are so lacking in detail vs HT. But I'm getting quite a pile of discarded HT hairpieces. I currently have three HT heads with SSC hairpieces (Luke Dago flightsuit, Luke Bespin and Luke stormtroper.)

As I said in the other thread, I'd love to see that SSC Hoth hair with the SSC DX ROTJ head.

And yeah, I started experimenting because I have never really liked the non-BD Bespin head so started searching for something else. I really think SSC does a pretty good job with hairpieces (not so much on the DX ROTJ though) in terms of shape, but they are so lacking in detail vs HT. But I'm getting quite a pile of discarded HT hairpieces. I currently have three HT heads with SSC hairpieces (Luke Dago flightsuit, Luke Bespin and Luke stormtroper.)

Oh from the Snowspeeder Luke? I do not have that one unfortunately.

Do those cathode sabers still have the "nibs" at the ends?

They do. Only drawback.....but they still are so amazing over the stock sabers. No comparison.

5409c8c64534544922c5429ed9524532.jpg

You can greatly reduce their impact with posing....like pointing the saber ends away from the viewer.

They do. Only drawback.....but they still are so amazing over the stock sabers. No comparison.

5409c8c64534544922c5429ed9524532.jpg

Yeah they do look awesome. So you just run a cable down behind the fig? Must be a bit hair-raising drilling out a SSC or HT saber handle to fit the electrics.

So you just run a cable down behind the fig? Must be a bit hair-raising drilling out a SSC or HT saber handle to fit the electrics.

Yes, you can easily hide the cables in the clothes/sleeves. Chris De Guzman did these.....he's got it down. Easy turn around and total pro.

I’d held off on this set because of the high prices and the possibility of a new version but thanks to a couple of wonderful members on here I was able to get everything I wanted for a very reasonable amount of money. For a six year old set I really have to say this holds up and there’s really nothing that dates it in my eyes, and adding the ANH light up arm makes it that much better.
05ee65e720ebf21316da03eb19fc42bf.jpg

2aa5fbee207414e5d0cc43d2240a414d.jpg

1a9791d7bbcfc5c5e2f51b10c352622b.jpg

c197c7c9f8731062d6e38857a9b84875.jpg

6ccb63f8c3e0d90b4301e87d270b5b46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really love that BD sculpt but the hair has always had a Liza Minelli vibe to me. :lolMaybe it's the symmetry that makes it look that way.

Liza-Minelli.jpg

Back