Hot Toys C-3PO (ROTJ)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about it last night and going to make a decision today… waitlisted lol.
I debated if I really need it or not but ultimately I knew I’d regret not getting it after it hit waitlist. Just got the AOTC one not long ago and have the Sideshow version. Might try and unload the Sideshow figure.

I got you man. I’ll try a handful of tricks and let you know what works. Logically, the brown speckling was applied separately from the gold, so it is likely a different type of paint. It’s either acrylic, enamel, or lacquer. If it’s acrylic or enamel, it should be easy to remove without damaging the gold underneath which I strongly suspect is a lacquer or solvent based paint.

Just because several people asked and I didn't see a response... I tried the Cape Cod cloths to remove some of the weathering. I used it on the bottom of the plastic feet and on the die-cast back. There was nothing that came off. The cloth was completely clean, no orange no gold.

No way I'm trying anything stronger than that so looks like I'm stuck with the speckles. It's not horrible but I would have still preferred a more gold finish.

I got you man. I’ll try a handful of tricks and let you know what works. Logically, the brown speckling was applied separately from the gold, so it is likely a different type of paint. It’s either acrylic, enamel, or lacquer. If it’s acrylic or enamel, it should be easy to remove without damaging the gold underneath which I strongly suspect is a lacquer or solvent based paint.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Im another that wants a completely shiny C3PO and I dont want to buy this guy with the worry they'll release one in 6 months that is what Im after! :p

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Im another that wants a completely shiny C3PO and I dont want to buy this guy with the worry they'll release one in 6 months that is what Im after! :p
They will release a shiny one, just a matter of when. If you're ok with this one, for years to come, it's a nice alternative. I have it and like it a lot, but I do plan on getting the shiny ROTS version too.

They will release a shiny one, just a matter of when. If you're ok with this one, for years to come, it's a nice alternative. I have it and like it a lot, but I do plan on getting the shiny ROTS version too.
Yeah, they'll certainly rerelease this for different episodes, like they did with the R2D2 (Original Trilogy version, Attack of the Clones, and Force Awakens) all using the same body and electronics with different paint schemes. BUT it could be years before one is actually ready to ship, so this could be a good placeholder until then.

Not sure why people are trying to remove the weathering when it is pretty accurate to ROTJ (3PO has a weird and dull ornage-ish "bad weathering" look through much of ROTJ, especially Endor) and the belly wires pattern is super-specific to ROTJ, not even close to ANH and ESB.

It seems a bit crazy to pay $350 or so for this then attack it with various chemicals - and even if it works, you end up with a 3PO with a wires pattern that is really visible and not accurate to ANH or ESB.

There is a pretty much 100% certainty that HT will release another OT 3PO in the next year or so, maybe a pull-apart version for 45th anniversary for ESB next year. They've already dropped a random comic book 3PO that shipped instantly.

Not sure why people are trying to remove the weathering when it is pretty accurate to ROTJ (3PO has a weird and dull ornage-ish "bad weathering" look through much of ROTJ, especially Endor) and the belly wires pattern is super-specific to ROTJ, not even close to ANH and ESB.

It seems a bit crazy to pay $350 or so for this then attack it with various chemicals - and even if it works, you end up with a 3PO with a wires pattern that is really visible and not accurate to ANH or ESB.

There is a pretty much 100% certainty that HT will release another OT 3PO in the next year or so, maybe a pull-apart version for 45th anniversary for ESB next year. They've already dropped a random comic book 3PO that shipped instantly.
Thank you.

People are entitled to customize whatever but like you said, the weathering is basically ROTJ movie specific and with the speckling removed and just shiny, it will be even more inaccurate as the belly wires are straight up based on ROTJ and not ANH/ESB.

Meh, I still don't like the weathering. I'd rather weather it myself the way I like. I don't care which weathering is more accurate. As for "bit crazy to pay $350 for this then attack it with various chemicals", that's just a nonsense insult. I happily "attack" figures all the time. It's called modding or customizing. It's not a new thing. Heck I "attacked" this $650 1/4 scale HT Mandalorian with "chemicals" and am so happy I did! All that matters is whether I like the way it looks on the shelf in the end. Whether or not another collector is confused by the choice (and I'm not directing that at you, just the other collectors in general), isn't really a consideration. I think you'll find this is true of most customizers. Some of us don't find much fun in displaying a stock figure out of the box, and (shockingly) just want to customize it to taste for the joy of it.

IMG_2035.jpg

Last edited:
Meh, I still don't like the weathering. I'd rather weather it myself the way I like. I don't care which weathering is more accurate. As for "bit crazy to pay $350 for this then attack it with various chemicals", that's just a nonsense insult. I happily "attack" figures all the time. It's called modding or customizing. It's not a new thing. Heck I "attacked" this $650 1/4 scale HT Mandalorian with "chemicals" and am so happy I did! All that matters is whether I like the way it looks on the shelf in the end. Whether or not another collector is confused by the choice (and I'm not directing that at you, just the other collectors in general), isn't really a consideration. I think you'll find this is true of most customizers. Some of us don't find much fun in displaying a stock figure out of the box, and (shockingly) just want to customize it to taste for the joy of it.

View attachment 701432
I think my point was that even if the removal works perfectly, you still end up with a neither-fish-nor-fowl 3PO, accurate to neither ROTJ nor ESB/ANH, and fairly obviously so (at least to those who know the differences and care.) ROTJ is a somewhat unique look for OT 3PO, and it's pretty amazing HT actually delivered that.

But also that it's pretty much 100% certain a clean/shiny OT 3PO is coming soon (though of course nothing is guaranteed with HT - just the comic 3PO is a pretty good hint.)

But yes, I do reiterate that collectors may do whatever they choose to their figures, regardless of cost and others' views on such actions. Didn't mean to upset or demean anyone, and apoilogies if it was taken as such.

I think my point was that even if the removal works perfectly, you still end up with a neither-fish-nor-fowl 3PO, accurate to neither ROTJ nor ESB/ANH, and fairly obviously so (at least to those who know the differences and care.) ROTJ is a somewhat unique look for OT 3PO, and it's pretty amazing HT actually delivered that.

But also that it's pretty much 100% certain a clean/shiny OT 3PO is coming soon (though of course nothing is guaranteed with HT - just the comic 3PO is a pretty good hint.)

But yes, I do reiterate that collectors may do whatever they choose to their figures, regardless of cost and others' views on such actions. Didn't mean to upset or demean anyone, and apoilogies if it was taken as such.
No offense taken. But you're subjectively judging the "accuracy" of work I haven't even done yet. I disagree that there is a singular weathered look for C3P0 in the film. His appearance onscreen changes pretty significantly from scene to scene throughout the film depending on the particular suit used, location, and the lighting and film grading etc.

The disconnect seems to be that you see the orange paint spatters as equalling accuracy, and that it will be "neither fish nor fowl" if they're removed. But I, subjectively, disagree. What I see on screen is neither that heavy handed, nor that red/orange, regardless of it's accuracy to the real life prop.

I personally like the look of him at Jabba's or on Endor. And that's the look I'll be going for. Dulled and dirty, but not red paint spattered.

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 6.49.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 6.56.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 6.53.22 PM.png

To me the stock weathering just doesn't cut it.

Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 7.03.13 PM.png

Last edited:
And that, to me, is the fun of modding. If I don't like a choice Hot Toys or Inart made, I like to f**k around and see if I can get it closer to my own preference. "Screen Used" accuracy and "On Screen" accuracy are two different things. I lean towards "on screen" myself.

No offense taken. But you're subjectively judging the "accuracy" of work I haven't even done yet. I disagree that there is a singular weathered look for C3P0 in the film. His appearance onscreen changes pretty significantly from scene to scene throughout the film depending on the particular suit used, location, and the lighting and film grading etc.

The disconnect seems to be that you see the orange paint spatters as equalling accuracy, and that it will be "neither fish nor fowl" if they're removed. But I, subjectively, disagree. What I see on screen is neither that heavy handed, nor that red/orange, regardless of it's accuracy to the real life prop.

I personally like the look of him at Jabba's or on Endor. And that's the look I'll be going for. Dulled and dirty, but not red paint spattered.

View attachment 701434

View attachment 701437

View attachment 701435

View attachment 701436
Boy those pics really throw into pretty sharp relief the eye size issue on the HT sculpt. It's really not a big deal at all, but it would have been such a score for HT have 100% nailed the sculpt like they did with say the Snowie.

But then they have only ever gotten maybe 80% of the way there on all their stormie, sandie, Vader and Fett helmet sculpts so technically this 3PO sculpt is actually a step closer to 100%. And wow what an improvement over the SSC.

And that, to me, is the fun of modding. If I don't like a choice Hot Toys or Inart made, I like to f**k around and see if I can get it closer to my own preference. "Screen Used" accuracy and "On Screen" accuracy are two different things. I lean towards "on screen" myself.
For the record, I did remove all of the weathering on my SSC 3PO (aka the caramel sauce.) And also the weatheirng on the dome on the SSC R2, which obscured most of the metallic finish. Both of those mods hugely improved the figures, in fact I'd say the R2 its essential and brings the fig closer to the HT R2.

View attachment 701434

View attachment 701437

View attachment 701435

View attachment 701436
I'm actually more surprised they failed to nail the size and spacing between the eyes...

Not that it's a deal breaker, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned (or maybe it got by me) is that the figure has a rich, warm gold tone. I re-watched ROTJ scenes the other day and it's a cooler metallic hue, or at least appears that way to my eyes.

Back