1/6 Hot Toys 【Solo: A Star Wars Story - 1/6th scale Darth Maul Collectible Figure】

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys 【Solo: A Star Wars Story - 1/6th scale Darth Maul Collectible Figure】

Looks really good. I'd love a shirtless Maul but I'd need a seamless body for that so the CW version will be keeping his shirt tunic on forever, that and I have zero painting skills.

Re: Hot Toys 【Solo: A Star Wars Story - 1/6th scale Darth Maul Collectible Figure】

What are you doing to ensure the paint doesn't rub when you articulate the joints? Did you reduce the walls of the sockets with a handpiece?

What are you doing to ensure the paint doesn't rub when you articulate the joints? Did you reduce the walls of the sockets with a handpiece?

Yes i used a small exacto knife to cut back the walls. I then scored/sanded the visible part of the joint to help the paint stick better.

Yes i used a small exacto knife to cut back the walls. I then scored/sanded the visible part of the joint to help the paint stick better.

Really impressive work! :clap

That is very inspirational work Matrix! Thank you for your tips on how you accomplished this! Spectacular looking Maul!

:horror Incredible!

what kind of paint did you use? Did you make a stencil for the pattern on the body?

:horror Incredible!

what kind of paint did you use? Did you make a stencil for the pattern on the body?

I used acrylic paint...but it's a bit of trial and error to try match the tone of the red on the HT sculpt. It's not perfect but close enough for me.

As for the pattern...Using the the different clips below as a guide i drew them on with a pencil first. They don't need to be perfect as they're just a marker for where to apply the paint.

To finish...spray it with a coat of clear satin varnish to seal the paint.

DM.jpg

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

I just purchased a loose SOLO Maul HS...I hope to tackle as shirtless custom my-self

Last edited:

Thanks Captain_Trips but i won't be picking up the CW version after all.

I was getting it because i really like the Tattooed torso look...but in the end i decided to go cheapo and make my own:)

For those interested i used the body from Supermad toys Bionic man figure...with shortened legs.

Pants and belt are from SS V1...Boots, gloves/gauntlets and saber hilts are Medicom.

View attachment 508477View attachment 508476View attachment 508475

There was a fun Maul fan-film made a long time ago where he had this look, "Contract of Evil" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZfqVLFg1k

Almost 10 years old, but always thought it was pretty cool. Great job on the paint, wish I could do similar

I used acrylic paint...but it's a bit of trial and error to try match the tone of the red on the HT sculpt. It's not perfect but close enough for me.

As for the pattern...Using the the different clips below as a guide i drew them on with a pencil first. They don't need to be perfect as they're just a marker for where to apply the paint.

To finish...spray it with a coat of clear satin varnish to seal the paint.

View attachment 508576

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)
You've inspired me to try my hand at a custom Maul! Did you hand paint the red on the torso, or airbrush it? Is there a certain brand acrylic you recommend? Did you use Mr. Super Clear or just regular old spray paint for the sealant? Your custom looks amazing

Was inspired to have a fresh look at this Maul today after watch the last episodes of CW again....

View attachment 563528

...and while I still really dig this version of Maul, the CW one is starting to grow on me. Holding onto this one for sure, but thinking seriously of picking the CW one up too when it arrives.
do it!
I will be.
cannot wait to put him in the sarcophagus for some pics too.

Still hoping we will eventually see Maul series since there is no hope for Solo 2. Such a great character and figure.

Back