Grand Admiral Thrawn 1/6--LINK TO BUY IN FIRST POST!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Grand Admiral Thrawn 1/6!!

i like the monster thing around his neck.

The only thing is I'd like to see a less comic book sculpt (doesn't go with the rest of the line) I do like his little creature though

This is my most wanted figure after:

Dooku
Tie Pilot
Tarkin
Gree
Cody
Bacara
Boba Fett
Jango Fett
Ugnaught
Jar Jar
Boss Nass
Ric Ole
Lobot
EPI Ani
Blue Snaggletooth
Ice Cream Maker Dude
Porkins
Pod Race Announcer
That Lady with the Six Boobs

:chew :chew :chew

Now, now, We ALL Want the Ice Cream Maker guy...but we have to be patient...

This fig needs his epaulettes and that blue needs darkening a bit...it actually hurts my eyes at the moment...

Now, now, We ALL Want the Ice Cream Maker guy...but we have to be patient...

Please Sideshow? :monkey2

ICMG_F2_.jpg

The EX can be the ice cream maker. :chew

I don't see Thrawn as being that vital to the SW legacy. I disagree that Zahn's work was so impressive that it reignited interest. The renewed interest in SW was inevitable.
I think the sculpt would have been much better if they had hired an actor to portray Thrawn and use an actual likeness instead of the generic "Shazam" sculpt. Now if they use Shannon Baksa's likeness for the Jade figure, it will go over much better.

UGH.. if they are going to make some random EU guy make Darth Revan.

I don't see Thrawn as being that vital to the SW legacy. I disagree that Zahn's work was so impressive that it reignited interest. The renewed interest in SW was inevitable.

Yeah thats why there was SOOO much star wars stuff coming out. There was nothing

https://www.echostation.com/interview/zahn.htm

The time was summer, 1991. The Gulf War had just ended, Arsenio Hall ruled late nights, Silence of the Lambs racked up Oscar gold, Nirvana was about to unleash grunge on the world, and Star Wars…well...

Star Wars was dead.

Dead and forgotten, that is, until it’s life essence was suddenly rekindled and blasted into the stratosphere of popular culture once again with the release of a single book.

It appeared on store shelves innocently enough in that fateful summer with little fanfare to speak of, but once word got out about it’s breathtaking pacing, well-written characters, intense drama, and blazing action, Timothy Zahn’s Heir To the Empire quickly became an enormous wake-up call to the Star Wars-starved masses to rise from their 6 year slumber and usher in a new era for George Lucas’ beloved space saga. Heir to the Empire debuted in the top ten on the New York Times bestseller list and remained cemented there for over 29 straight weeks. With Heir and it’s follow-ups, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command, Hugo-award winning author Timothy Zahn opened the floodgates and blazed the trail for the countless numbers of Star Wars novels, role playing games, sourcebooks, comics, video games, CD-ROMs, action figures, t-shirts and mountains of other merchandise that line retail shelves. Two of Zahn’s characters, the brilliant Imperial tactician Grand Admiral Thrawn, and the beautiful, fiery-tempered, Force-user Mara Jade have entrenched themselves firmly in the Star Wars universe, just as easily recognized as Han Solo or Darth Vader. Heir to The Empire is a true milestone in the dizzying evolution of the Star Wars phenomenon, an important first step that led to George Lucas announcing that he indeed would be continuing the Star Wars saga with a new trilogy of films that would tell the tale of Anakin Skywalker’s fall to the dark side of the Force.

That is how I remember those dark days of the early 90s... being a star wars fan there was not a whole lot of new things to discover.. the Zahn books brought it back to life, and kicked off the snowball effect of what we have today.

I havent read the books in a long time, but Thrawn is a great choice for a non core character... and has a cool look. The yslamari (spelling?) around his neck acted as a force blocker as I recall..

The joys of being in my Senior year in college :) Hell, last semester too.

It is however, kinda sad that there are present day Fans of starwars, Hell, of this 1/6th sideshow line who have NO IDEA who Thrawn is, nor how important he is to Star wars. It's allmost as bad as Being a World war II buff, but not knowing who Eva Braun is. Not the same, mind you, but she is important.
Moving on... If this character did not exist, we would not have anywhere NEAR the stuff avaliable to us as far as star wars collectibles go. we would have the 80's toys, some burger king glasses, and some really goofy marvel comics, and a few nic-nacks here and there, but that would be it.

Read next quote for more info.

In my opinion...I wish it was that way...only the original trilogy....the prequels blew...whether you want to admit it or not...it took me awhile but I finally came to my senses...all of this other stuff feels like second rate. To me its like when I was young and collecting 80's figures..they excited me..then I would go to a toy store and all they had were the "Droids" figures..kind of a let down at the time..I know they are worth a bit now, but at the time they were garbage.

So you guys are saying that if Zahn never wrote his books SW would have faded into obscurity?
If it wasn't Zahn it would have been someone else. George wasn't about to let his golden goose sit on the shelf forever.

Hmm.. Thrawn.

Definite buy for me. I love the books. I'll pose him with the books in fact!

So you guys are saying that if Zahn never wrote his books SW would have faded into obscurity?
If it wasn't Zahn it would have been someone else. George wasn't about to let his golden goose sit on the shelf forever.

It's arguably the fire that was lit under Lucas' ass to get the ball rolling. Nothing was in the works then, during the Great Star Wars Drought of the early 90's except for our well worn VHS tapes and the rich friend with the laser disc player. The books showed that not only was there still an interest in SW, but that it was as strong as it ever was.

Thrawn.jpg

I'm very split on this one. I love Grand Admiral Thrawn's character... I've wanted SSC to do a Grand Admiral Thrawn for years - voted for him in the poll, in fact. BUT...

I don't like the sculpt at all. I don't like the face, he's never been depicted quite like this, but I especially don't like the expression. Throughout the book, Thrawn's demeanor is always described as very cool, calm, collective. He is absolutely confident in his genius - I picture him with a Mona Lisa smile. Thrawn's second in command talks at length about how difficult it is to understand Thrawn's motive because he shows zero emotion.

And yet - the expression here, on this SSC doll, is one of outrage - he's snarling. It just doesn't fit the character of Thrawn. I bet he didn't even wince when he died, so why do I see this expression and think its a reaction to being bested.

This is how he was depicted on the cover of the book.

285-5.jpg
347-7.jpg

His skin tone isn't that blue. This is grossly exaggerated by SSC, likely due to comic books (which are always exaggerated). His face is beefier, and his nose isn't broken in four different places. The expression is just as I said, cool, calm, collective. Also he has epaulets, as depicted on the books' covers. Perhaps white gloves.

Last edited:
Back