Gloss varnish issues!!!!! Advice please

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshurricane

Super Freak
Reaction score
Copied from Vader build thread

Dome, dome,dome , dome dee dome, dome dee dome..... Curing in the closet
image_zpsccqaii5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Quick update , all the above domes are to be scrapped as we are having major issues with gloss varnishes. We used to use Vallejo acrylic resin spray but ran out, we did find another supply but have found the gloss varnish peels off!!, we use war hammer chaos black ( we suspect has recently had a change in its make up) as the acrylic varnish won't adhere. We've tried Vallejo polyurethane over the black , same problem. Tamiya x-13 clear is more trouble than it's worth as it takes so long to harden. Tonight we have tried a coat of Vallejo air black then the varnish and hopefully this solves the issue ...... We have also on order alclad 2 Aqua gloss and liquitex hi gloss varnish. Sorry for this delay but it effects all domes including Hydeous' finished vaders dome ( we designed a new some for all vaders and replaced his with the new style) . H says 'bring back 'ard coat' anyone has any other ideas please let us ( me) know......
S x

If these are casted in black resin you can try polishing up the resin to a gloss. Try rubbing some T-Cut with a cloth and get hold of some Nova plastic polish. The smoother the surface the glossier it will be. I'd probably stay clear of any varnishing as in my experience that always ends up a mess.

If these are casted in black resin you can try polishing up the resin to a gloss. Try rubbing some T-Cut with a cloth and get hold of some Nova plastic polish. The smoother the surface the glossier it will be. I'd probably stay clear of any varnishing as in my experience that always ends up a mess.
g
Thanx for the input, I know H has black pigment , and did cast two this evening, so will give that a go. The vallejo air black mixed with gloss acrylic , just peeled off too. So H tried good old halfords clear laquer with no issues on the domes.seems the vallejo varnishes are a bad investment. S x

g
Thanx for the input, I know H has black pigment , and did cast two this evening, so will give that a go. The vallejo air black mixed with gloss acrylic , just peeled off too. So H tried good old halfords clear laquer with no issues on the domes.seems the vallejo varnishes are a bad investment. S x

Problem solved, it seems the games workshop chaos black has had its make up altered , as we have these different looking cans from usual .... The Vallejo varnishes will not bond to this, however (UK people) halfords clear laquer will. The Vallejo works fine on army painter base coat black with no issues.

Back