Statue Gentle Giant 18" Black Widow - Winter Soldier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe because some people might be interested in those mini-statues if they look good enough :eek: (which seems to be the case with the prototypes)

For instance, I might have taken the HT AoU Black Widow if the hair looked better. I'm not sure I want to go 1:4 for the Iron Man franchise (too expensive, lack of space), so the 1:8 might convince me.

And based on the video, they try to hit this type of market.

I get it, but I don't. Just seems like a very surprising move, IMO at 1:8 scale on a piece that is basically based of a larger scale piece that they just did. But hey, if it works....

Just caught the video - what they got planned and hopes for with customization sound ridiculous awesome if they can pull it off. Would LOVE to see something like that 'come to life.'

I overheard the GG rep at their booth talk about the reissue of these statues in 1/8 scale. The first thing that came to mind is that you will have collectors (me included) that have run out of shelf space. So, having a smaller scale fit into a smaller space makes sense. The other reasons are as follows:
1) Keep in mind that DC already had tremendous success with their Cover Girls of DC, in pretty much the same scale.
2) According to the rep, the ability to keep these 1/8 statues closer to their prototypes is due to less shrinkage while in mold. So, there's a higher likelihood that these will look better than their 1/4 scale production counterparts. All the way to dat ass you're so fond of.

The only downside -- GG plans to charge in the neighborhood closer to $200, when DC has nicely sold theirs for sub-$100.

I overheard the GG rep at their booth talk about the reissue of these statues in 1/8 scale. The first thing that came to mind is that you will have collectors (me included) that have run out of shelf space. So, having a smaller scale fit into a smaller space makes sense. The other reasons are as follows:
1) Keep in mind that DC already had tremendous success with their Cover Girls of DC, in pretty much the same scale.
2) According to the rep, the ability to keep these 1/8 statues closer to their prototypes is due to less shrinkage while in mold. So, there's a higher likelihood that these will look better than their 1/4 scale production counterparts. All the way to dat ass you're so fond of.

The only downside -- GG plans to charge in the neighborhood closer to $200, when DC has nicely sold theirs for sub-$100.

I still prefer the 1/4 scale Dat Ass compared to 1/8 scale Dat Ass. Heck, if it was 1/2 scale, I'd probably still get it...... :naughty

So, there's a higher likelihood that these will look better than their 1/4 scale production counterparts. All the way to dat ass you're so fond of.

If that's what you need to hear to feel better, OK. In the meantime:

Y0C6PQ3.jpg

VpDUCDF.jpg

That's a huge downside, IMO. Might as well buy a HTs piece at that price. You'd get a better likeness too, IMO.

Dude in the video said between $120-$175. Plus he pointed out that in the smaller scale, details (like the texture of the outfit) would be lost, or they had to tweak the sculpt a bit, because of detail loss. Better than 1/4? I'm thinking not.
That's a huge downside, IMO. Might as well buy a HTs piece at that price. You'd get a better likeness too, IMO.
The likeness on this statue is better than the HT BW's available now.

Dude in the video said between $120-$175. Plus he pointed out that in the smaller scale, details (like the texture of the outfit) would be lost, or they had to tweak the sculpt a bit, because of detail loss. Better than 1/4? I'm thinking not.

The likeness on this statue is better than the HT BW's available now.

If it's $120, completely different story then. You're talking half the price of a HT piece. That I can appreciate.

But even at $175, I still don't think the cost justifies the better likeness (which not even sure I would argue that the likeness IS better - but that's subjective, I can appreciate the argument either way). I just find the Hot Toys markey hard to beat at the moment for the cost - if other companies are going to try and tackle the smaller scale collectible scene. Hot Toys gives you multiple display options and poses. And if someone argues that 1:6th is too big for their collection, then not sure 1:8 is any better. Certainly not not too mention the additional character options you get with Hot Toys - Captain, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. etc. You can literally assemble the entire Avengers team. And I'll be shocked if GG gets that deep with this line.

$175 is too high for an 1/8 mini statue line. Although, if I didn't own the 1/4 BW, I might pay $175 (if it was that price) to get the 1/8 version. But that's because I feel GG's BW sculpt (the whole statue I mean) is that good. I don't know if I'd pay over $100 for Cap & IP though.

$175 is too high for an 1/8 mini statue line. Although, if I didn't own the 1/4 BW, I might pay $175 (if it was that price) to get the 1/8 version. But that's because I feel GG's BW sculpt (the whole statue I mean) is that good. I don't know if I'd pay over $100 for Cap & IP though.

So we're on the same page. I got ya.

I mean I can appreciate spending more for a piece that really stands out to your interest, but yeah, a WHOLE line with prices like that and expecting customers to keep spending like that? I can't see it happening.

Same. I need a mansion ASAP! :lecture :lol

Maybe Jay will sell me one of his. :naughty

He's filthy rich! He's at least one of those words. :monkey3 :wink1:

:lol

Well, jay literally gave me his XM Magneto, so I can't imagine he'll want to SELL you anything. He'll likely just give it to you, just as he did with me. The guy is ridiculously generous. And filthy......

Filthy rich, that is. Of course. :D

Yay for us@Snoopy & Chapter :hi5: :lol

Sorry Jay. It sounds like you're not part of our crew .....

Back