Statue Gentle Giant 18" Black Widow - Winter Soldier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same thing - put them side by side. GG just blows SS away.

Just got mine today. #352 of 600. Got it from Most Wanted Collectibles.

Comparison Shot of 1:4 scales. GG Winter Soldier Black Widow and SS Iron Man 2 Black Widow. Look at the difference in the diameter of the bases. SS BW base is 8 3/4". GG BW base is 12".

2vjymg1.jpg

Anyone on the fence about this one should probably jump now if you can find one. The sculpt puts the IM3 to shame (I sold that one). My only gripe is the humongo acrylic base. I had planned on doing a straight swapout for placement, but the diameter of the base is 2X so it doesn't fit in the designated space. I'm still waiting for Artemisia, but will be picking up more GG 1:4 pieces in the future.

Anyone on the fence about this one should probably jump now if you can find one. The sculpt puts the IM3 to shame (I sold that one). My only gripe is the humongo acrylic base. I had planned on doing a straight swapout for placement, but the diameter of the base is 2X so it doesn't fit in the designated space. I'm still waiting for Artemisia, but will be picking up more GG 1:4 pieces in the future.

I cant find it anywhere ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Cool side by side pic! I have both and love both equally. :yess: :rock

I don't know how long it was after you had posted this, that I went there and they had 3 more available. Probably around 1 pm EST.
Seems like they've been coming in and going out with some frequency.
I wonder if this was specifically a Diamond batch?

I also talked to Alter Ego the other day. They got theirs in, presumably from Diamond, and were in the process of shipping them out. I was curious how they handle people receiving broken ones- as this has happened to a few people with this and Artemisia. They told me they open and inspect every one that goes out and already ran across several that were broken.

Spec Fiction said that based on the printing on the cases, there were 640 of these produced- with the extra 40 I would assume being held for replacements. It sounds like if they haven't exceeded that, it's going to be very close. Although I'm hard pressed to understand just how and why some of these breaks are occurring. The only thing that seems fragile to me is the end of the rifle...and from the way the figure is secured and the amount of space open around that, the only thing that could impact that is the silica bag.

I figured that those are possibly CC declines or new stock from Diamond.

anyone know if shes still in stock anywhere at all? lol

:huh

Now I'm just torn which WS Cap to pair with mine. I imagine GG's would fit the best since they're pretty much designed to go together. However, I like the dynamic pose and display options (COH, two shields) on the SS version. SS clearly has the nicer base but it wouldn't match up with BW's (not a dealbreaker though). The Chris Evans likeness on both are pretty underwhelming so it's kind of a draw in that department. Then there's the possibility of both GG and SS eventually introducing a Winter Soldier into the mix. Anyone have a similar dilemma? :panic:

Anyone have a similar dilemma? :panic:

Not me. I don't display mine in groups. It's mostly just a solitary figure here and a solitary figure there. I also don't usually have more than two 1/4 scales out at any one time.

But in more specific response to your post- I would chose a statue based on it's own particular strengths rather than it's consistency with something else. And in the case of the Caps, I would take the Allied Charge Cap over any WS versions of the character. I realize that doesn't work if you are trying to pay homage to the movie, but the Allied version is just one of the damned finest representations of the character I've seen period. For the same price I would take it over the original PF and the XM version any day- and I'm a much bigger fan of the classic costume. That's how much every other aspect of it soundly trumps that one big one for me.

Since I've only inspected mine in the box and not taken it out and set it up- I'm curious about a couple things

- were the cubes protected at all with some kind of clear plastic wrap or were they exposed?
- are they supposed to be permanently affixed to the base or loose?

Pulled it out again just a little while ago to glance at it, and the only reason I'm not in this thread posting over and over how amazing it is, is because I just don't have a chance to look at it (Allied Cap is going to be hogging her display space for a few more weeks at least)- but it really is an insanely well executed sculpture.
• spot on to proto
• spot on likeness
• spot on form in terms of naturalism as well as veracity of pose
• spectacular detail and replication of texture that puts the use of real fabric to shame

You can criticize the base all you want, but if that's where your focus is you're missing the big honking fact this is simply one of the best sculpted human figures ever released by anyone. This could have had a generic, hot woman portrait and it would still be the best Black Widow statue ever released*. The fact it's such a remarkable likeness of a supremely hot and talented actress is just icing on the cake.

*the XM BW is great...very creative base especially- but the anime-esque portrait is a disappointing focal point for a lot of us, to an otherwise excellent piece.

Not sure why people say XM BW has a anime portrait, if you look at Marvel's latest Black Widow Comic she looks just like XM version. There is a difference in looks between normal comic art and anime art. Seems some people get it confused. Good example of an Anime BW would be Koto Bishoujo Black Widow...

As for which Captain America to get to go with GG BW, I'm personally getting GG Capt. (I like to group my statues up) Although the likeness is not exactly spot on, IMO it's a little better then SS likeness of the actor. Allied Cap is a nice statue if your big on Mix Media... My only nitpick with it is the face, in the prototype he is squinting with a pissed off look which I thought looked cool, but the production version has his eyes wide open which takes away from the angry look IMO, also the face kind of makes him look like he's in his 50's. That's just what I personally see based on the pictures posted, but everything else about the statue seems pretty nice.

If I have one nit about the Allied Cap it would be that there is a little too much character in his face that does make him look older than the character should be- especially during WWII. That isn't the portrait of a guy in his mid or even late 20's.
Definitely a valid criticism of it.

As far as the anime criticism of the XM- I'm using it more as shorthand for 'cartoon simple'. It's a combination of the simplicity of the features with the shapes/lines of same (the shape of the nose, and it's relation to the other features, specifically recalls anime shorthand to me). Given the amount of detail in the base and the soundness of the posing, the portrait could have stood to be more specific and realistic. Compare the features on BW to Sideshows Poison Ivy (which I would also say leans towards anime-like especially in the nose).

It's interesting that Cap represents a portrait being pulled a little too far towards more detail, which unfortunately ages it while the XM BW goes in the opposite direction. The portraits there are almost too cartoon simple which, IMO, is at a different pitch-in terms of realism-than the rest of the sculpture.

JMO, of course YMMV (and I really should just make that my sig at this point)

Since I've only inspected mine in the box and not taken it out and set it up- I'm curious about a couple things

- were the cubes protected at all with some kind of clear plastic wrap or were they exposed?

Mine were in plastic wrap.

- are they supposed to be permanently affixed to the base or loose?

Affixed to the base as far as I can tell. Mine were.

Mine were in plastic wrap.

Affixed to the base as far as I can tell. Mine were.

Doggone it. I was afraid of that. My cubes are separate and they weren't in plastic (and rough on a few sides as a result).

I'm thinking this is going to make it a lot harder to set up than it should be.

JMO, of course YMMV (and I really should just make that my sig at this point)

lol, tell me about it.... If you don't use IMO or JMO you get attacked so I make sure to put it in all my posts, even though it's obvious that any post in here is a persons opinion...

Doggone it. I was afraid of that. My cubes are separate and they weren't in plastic (and rough on a few sides as a result).

I'm thinking this is going to make it a lot harder to set up than it should be.

Whoa...I thought the base was all one piece. I'll have to take a close look at mine when I get home.

My cubes were separate from the base and made it tricky to get Widow's foot screwed in in such a way that her other foot put enough pressure on the loose cubes to affix them to the base.

My cubes were separate from the base and made it tricky to get Widow's foot screwed in in such a way that her other foot put enough pressure on the loose cubes to affix them to the base.

My cubes came attached to the base and to each other...

Back