Gandalf the Grey PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this is really throwing me off now. Here is a pic from Dr. Teng and as far as I know it's the same one at sdcc. Looks totally different. Was it different lighting or lens or what?

sdcc-thursday-sideshow-collectibles-gandalf-premium-format-statue-2-low.jpg

This looks much more reassuring.

Judging from the pics, the maquette is looking better than the PF IMO. I might just cancel the PF altogether to save some space and cash if that's the case.

damn it. the PF looks great, but the face does not look as good as the proto. his face is REALLY dark like he's been in the desert, unlike the pale skin like in the proto. the hat l think looks better and everything else looks awesome, but this is a big let down and turn off it that is the final result.

Last edited:
his face is REALLY dark like hes been in the desert, unlike the pale skin like in the proto.

I'd say due to the fact that all the lighting is from above, his face is showing darker since its in shadow from his hat and the camera isn't compensating.

I'd say due to the fact that all the lighting is from above, his face is showing darker since its in shadow from his hat and the camera isn't compensating.

well the pic above looks good. he looks pale. the other pics he looks way to dark. not sure what's going on. do not see the lighting changing it that much

Last edited:
Yeah im sticking with the PF as it doesn't look as cartoony and as said you can tell from the pics that he's showing up darker due to the enviroment.

I'm keeping the PF after seeing it. Its awesome from the sculpt to the outfit. Both Gandalfs are IMO. A 2 run homer with these two Gandalfs.

Thanks for the update Josh. I agree 100%, both look stunning from what I've seen so far. :drool

the dr. teng pic looks great. still may order it. i have the maquette on order right now but his hat bugs me for some reason. it looks like the brim is flipped up, pushed back on his head w/e. i know it is just the angle but still. anyway, minor gripe. they both look amazing.

Woodsy, Woods!! I must confess - in MC's photo, the GTG maquette head looks SO much better than SS's pics, surprise surprise :mad:
Looks much more like Ian McK, but i still think the rest of it looks too clean and cartoony.

The PF still looks amazing and it seems to me as though they've weathered his satchel a bit more :dunno

Woodsy, Woods!! I must confess - in MC's photo, the GTG maquette head looks SO much better than SS's pics, surprise surprise :mad:
Looks much more like Ian McK, but i still think the rest of it looks too clean and cartoony.

The PF still looks amazing and it seems to me as though they've weathered his satchel a bit more :dunno

:thud: Did I hear that correctly.....:lol MC's pic's look terrific, but I actually like Chuck's pic's even more. It's a win-win for collectors though, having more than one GTG option. Unfortunately for me [or more accurately my wallet] I like the maquette almost as much as the PF so I'll be buying one of each.

And yeah, I think SS's done a really nice job on the PF weathering.

:thud: Did I hear that correctly.....:lol MC's pic's look terrific, but I actually like Chuck's pic's even more. It's a win-win for collectors though, having more than one GTG option. Unfortunately for me [or more accurately my wallet] I like the maquette almost as much as the PF so I'll be buying one of each.
And yeah, I think SS's done a really nice job on the PF weathering.

Of course you are and we'll have to see this museum of yours one day.:wink1: I also have to agree hard to beat Chucks pics at Con there just amazing.

PF for me but the Maquette is still very nice but does have something somewhat cartoony about it but hey thats just my opinion......or maybe my way of avoiding buying both.:slap

I tip my hat to those who are getting both and I predict that you will enjoy them.

I, however, must choose one or the other--and I can't make up my mind. The maquette was far better in person than I expected, while the PF is so tall that it's not going to fit in my cabinet. So what I thought was going to be a no-brainer (in favor of the PF) has become a difficult choice.

I tip my hat to those who are getting both and I predict that you will enjoy them.

I, however, must choose one or the other--and I can't make up my mind. The maquette was far better in person than I expected, while the PF is so tall that it's not going to fit in my cabinet. So what I thought was going to be a no-brainer (in favor of the PF) has become a difficult choice.

Yeah, that's a tough call Tom. I know how big you are on getting an entire fellowship from the LOTR licence and personally, if that were my objective I think I'd opt for the maquette line. SS's already stated these will be coming at a rate of one every month or so and not only do I think there's a far better chance of a complete fellowship happening, it'll be in a significantly shorter period of time. Just my thoughts......

still no-brainer, imo. get a new cabinet or find some other place to put the PF.

Back