Statue Gandalf the Grey Maquette - Order NOW, Link in 1st post!.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The head sculpt is BEAUTIFUL, but i still think the rest of him looks stiff and too clean. What to do what to do!! :panic:
I have a perfectly good GTG statue already, and more iconic of GTG pose-wise. Plus he has the pipe in his staff, i don't know if this one does Josh? There are a couple of small details which the SS one doesn't have also.
But, the head sculpt!! Can i have it as just a bust please? :D

noooo!!! The Easterling statue is one of the best, why sell? Unless you're only after main characters. If SS release an Easterling in this line, would you buy it? :dunno Weta made the armour and weapons for the film, and done them for the statue too, so the SSW Easterling is the most authentic statue you can get! :exactly:

I've never bought into the "most iconic pose" rationale myself. Pose preference is subjective and based of the personal preference of the individual collector. There are so many aspects to the character of GTG, and no single pose could possibly capture them all.
I think Josh put it best when he said the SSW portrays Gandalf as an elder statesman, and I agree with him. I think it does a terrific job of portraying him as the elder statesman, or leader of the fellowship. If that is the aspect of Gandalf that appeals to you the most , then by all means the SSW version is for you.
As for the maquette, I think the pose does an excellent job of capturing Gandalf as wizard and warrior, a guy you really don't want to mess with, and if that's the aspect of Gandalf that most appeals to you then the maquette is the way to go. Personally, I prefer the pose of the PF over both of them. :)

Last edited:
I've never bought into the "most iconic pose" rationale myself. Pose preference is subjective and based of the personal preference of the individual collector. There are so many aspects to the character of GTG, and no single pose could possibly capture them all.
I think Josh put it best when he said the SSW portrays Gandalf as an elder statesman, and I agree with him. I think it does a terrific job of portraying him the elder statesman, or leader of the fellowship. If that is the aspect of Gandalf that appeals to you the most , then by all means the SSW version is for you.
As for the maquette, I think the pose does an excellent job of capturing Gandalf as wizard and warrior, a guy you really don't want to mess with, and if that's the aspect of Gandalf that most appeals to you then the maquette is the way to go. Personally, I prefer the pose of the PF over both of them. :)

I believe you hit the nail on the head sir. I will say of all the pieces I do think I like the PF one the most pose wise. Though, as a greedy little duck I'd say owning all three is the way to go. :hi5:

I believe you hit the nail on the head sir. I will say of all the pieces I do think I like the PF one the most pose wise. Though, as a greedy little duck I'd say owning all three is the way to go. :hi5:

Well you can just call me a "greedy little duck" then, 'cause that's exactly what I intend to do. :lol

I tried. I really tried. But even after looking at him up close and personal at the Con, am going to pass on this version. Leader of the Fellowship -- yes. Warrior? nope. That's Gandalf the WHITE. The billowing cape bothered me and I can't put my finger on why.

I agree that it all comes down to personal taste and perception of the character and how it's portrayed. Had I not had all other previous Gandies (except for the PF GTW), I might have been less judgemental.

I tried. I really tried. But even after looking at him up close and personal at the Con, am going to pass on this version. Leader of the Fellowship -- yes. Warrior? nope. That's Gandalf the WHITE.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought. Gandalf the Grey is not a Warrior, he's a leader of sorts, tho more an advisor, a scholar, someone you'd turn too for answers. Sure, he could still hold his own, fighting the Balrog proved that, but it wasn't till after that, when he became Gandalf the White, time for talk was over, it was time to kick some Orc butt.

He also did fight pretty well in the Tomb sequence. So he did have a bit of warrior in him even as GTG though he was a bit more of an advisory/leader. So making another piece where he's just pointing the way is really kind of boring. He did have many facets as GTG. One of the top pieces at the show. I will be stoked as a mofo to have this piece. So say what you will but the piece is really quite good. Equal at least IMO to anything we've seen GTG wise.

He also did fight pretty well in the Tomb sequence. So he did have a bit of warrior in him even as GTG though he was a bit more of an advisory/leader. So making another piece where he's just pointing the way is really kind of boring. He did have many facets as GTG. One of the top pieces at the show. I will be stoked as a mofo to have this piece. So say what you will but the piece is really quite good. Equal at least IMO to anything we've seen GTG wise.

:exactly: The first thing Gandalf does once Boromir and Aragorn seal the door to Balin's tomb is throw of his hat, the second is to unsheath his sword. Does he ever try and use his magic? Nope, not until he faces the Balrog. Not on the orc's, not on the cave troll. Not in Balin's tomb and not in the Great Hall. He sure does look comfortable holding Glamdring in his right hand though. In fact, Glamdring never leaves his hand again until he falls battling the Balrog. Of course, he goes on to kill the Balrog with nothing but a sword....a pretty amazing [or some might argue, impossible] feat for someone unskilled as a warrior. :wink1: A statue of Gandalf in Moria with staff in one hand and Glamdring drawn in the other is not only fitting and appropriate, IMO it absolutely does reflect some aspects of his character....namely as a powerful wizard and mighty warrior. Two characteristics I find completely lacking in the SSW statue.

I agree this piece captures those parts. The SSW one captures the other parts of him and IMO they show everything about GTG. As has been stated its all about what is important about the character.

A statue of Gandalf in Moria with staff in one hand and Glamdring drawn in the other is not only fitting and appropriate, IMO it absolutely does reflect some aspects of his character....namely as a powerful wizard and mighty warrior. Two characteristics I find completely lacking in the SSW statue.

Awesome post! :D I can't wait for the line to begin.

I agree this piece captures those parts. The SSW one captures the other parts of him and IMO they show everything about GTG. As has been stated its all about what is important about the character.

Well I wouldn't quite go that far.:lol The two combined statues certainly do encompass most of who Gandalf is, but let's not forget the fun-loving, carefree "Shire" Gandalf. Unfortunately there is no statue reflective of his love for Hobbits or pipeweed. :( But your right, it all depends on which aspects of Gandalf are important to you.

Awesome post! :D I can't wait for the line to begin.

Thanks fury....and I couldn't agree more.:wave

Yes, we don't quite get the fun loving part in any of these. :lol Like I said for me personally this new maquette is exceptionally good. The detailing, likeness, pose, etc all hit high marks for me.

voq2av.jpg

VS.

25yyydt.jpg

Both are pretty fraking awesome IMO. Not really a competition thing I don't think. Get what you like. :)

I have a feeling I'm high up on the waitlist for the ex, so I'm praying for credit card declines now! Yay high interest rates and credit limit decreases!!!

I prefer the Grey Gandalf Maquette! The only PF really like is Lurtz PF ex, the Moria orch PF and the Berserker ex.
I the future I will collect only Gollum and the badass.

Back