Statue Gandalf the Grey Maquette - Order NOW, Link in 1st post!.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't order -- I'm waiting to see the actual proto at the Con. To tell you the truth, I'm getting a tad exasperated with the various lines getting started with a bang and slowing down to a crawl and then being put on "pause." The one good thing about the early SS/W days was that there was a predetermined line-up announced and, except for a very few pieces, they were done. I knew what to expect from each line ( busts vs. statues; helms vs. weapons sets; enviros vs. creatures; etc.) and could decide which line to collect. There were a few additions not announced, but I considered them gravy.

We've been now treated to dolls - stopped in mid-line; LSBs - probably will be discontinued; dioramas (with a preponderance of Aragorn in various scenarios) - probably will be discontinued; PFs - beginning to sound if it's also going bye-bye; and now the maquettes.

As for the PFs -- I was really excited at the possibility of mixed-media figures. The gorgeous costuming of LOTR was especially in need of this line. But folks talking about balrogs and cave trolls, and horse & riders, and other predominately sculpted pieces with little or no costuming involved makes me wonder if I've misunderstood the actual intent of PFs in the first place. If so, then I could've saved myself at least $1.5K.

Many of you know that I'm a near-die hard LOTR collector, but I'm getting VERY weary. Rant over.....feeling better. Thank you for your time.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I feel better now too Rumi! :lol

I didn't order -- I'm waiting to see the actual proto at the Con. To tell you the truth, I'm getting a tad exasperated with the various lines getting started with a bang and slowing down to a crawl and then being put on "pause." The one good thing about the early SS/W days was that there was a predetermined line-up announced and, except for a very few pieces, they were done. I knew what to expect from each line ( busts vs. statues; helms vs. weapons sets; enviros vs. creatures; etc.) and could decide which line to collect. There were a few additions not announced, but I considered them gravy.

We've been now treated to dolls - stopped in mid-line; LSBs - probably will be discontinued; dioramas (with a preponderance of Aragorn in various scenarios) - probably will be discontinued; PFs - beginning to sound if it's also going bye-bye; and now the maquettes.

As for the PFs -- I was really excited at the possibility of mixed-media figures. The gorgeous costuming of LOTR was especially in need of this line. But folks talking about balrogs and cave trolls, and horse & riders, and other predominately sculpted pieces with little or no costuming involved makes me wonder if I've misunderstood the actual intent of PFs in the first place. If so, then I could've saved myself at least $1.5K.

Many of you know that I'm a near-die hard LOTR collector, but I'm getting VERY weary. Rant over.....feeling better. Thank you for your time.

Loved your post, very well said and saved me carpal tunnel typing all of that!! :clap:clap:clap

:exactly:

I can only second everything you said, and I think you've described a lot of LOTR fans' feelings to a T here!

Now let's hope that the good folks at Sideshow hear you and either a) select one or two lines on top of the maquettes to save them from premature death (I don't think reviving all of the lines would be a good idea, let alone feasible) or b) really pour all of their energy to make the definitive maquette line to rule them all. It's the least this franchise deserves

PS: of course, going for a) doesn't mean they shouldn't aim for b) as well :D

b) really pour all of their energy to make the definitive maquette line to rule them all. It's the least this franchise deserves

I'm with you on the "b" option, but hope for the best for everyone. I can see how wonderful some of the premium formats represent LOTR characters. For me space and cost dictate that I must collect the new line of maquettes, and I too am hoping for a wide range, including the full fellowship, in their "Sideshow ultimate version" versions.

And I have a feeling we will see Arwen sooner than later. Maybe not during SDCC, but soon thereafter.

I'm somewhat amazed that even that ugly Alien from Resurrection has sold out of its exclusive and Gandalf has not. Every exclusive is selling out within a day or two this SDCC, and not Gandalf. This has me somewhat worried about the future of my new line, which I admittedly have high hopes for. Truly, I hope all goes well with the new line, and I get a hundred character studies before its finale sometime in the year 2020. I am the kiss of death though, because if I prefer a line, you can bet that will be the one to sell slowly.

I'm somewhat amazed that even that ugly Alien from Resurrection has sold out of its exclusive and Gandalf has not. Every exclusive is selling out within a day or two this SDCC, and not Gandalf. This has me somewhat worried about the future of my new line, which I admittedly have high hopes for. Truly, I hope all goes well with the new line, and I get a hundred character studies before its finale sometime in the year 2020. I am the kiss of death though, because if I prefer a line, you can bet that will be the one to sell slowly.

I think it's a mixture of - pose, price (the PF, which is also better, costs nearly the same) people having the PF too, and a few other representations to choose from. I genuinely don't think this is as good as other versions we have seen, and that probably has a say in it too. They should have kept GTG back until next year and done Legolas, Gimli, Arwen and Boromir first.

The only thing about the PF/Maquette thing is that the PF will arrive well in advance of the maquette. Having them both on PO at the same time means very little.

I would like to say that the exclusive version of Gandalf has finally waitlisted. Seems to have taken far too long, especially compared to some of the questionable choices for this years SDCC products. My opinion of course. The Alien was atrocious. Maul was laughable. Others were great, but Gandalf is stunning.

Now the long wait for my Aragorn exclusive to convert and then I'm in hopefully until the end of the line.

I would like to say that the exclusive version of Gandalf has finally waitlisted. Seems to have taken far too long, especially compared to some of the questionable choices for this years SDCC products. My opinion of course. The Alien was atrocious. Maul was laughable. Others were great, but Gandalf is stunning.
Now the long wait for my Aragorn exclusive to convert and then I'm in hopefully until the end of the line.

That seems to be the consensus of everyone at SDCC so far. :drool Pic's courtesy of Chuck from S&F...enjoy.

23-07-20102-11-12PM.png

23-07-20102-14-35PM.png
23-07-20102-14-02PM.png

his staff arm seems to be more out to the side in these pics which looks better IMO. the pics on the sideshow site show his staff arm more in front of him.

Wow Josh, those pic's are fantastic :clap....and the scary part is, I'll bet it looks even better in person. :drool

Thank you! As I've said I'm happy with my shots for the most part. Really tried to get good ones of the LOTR stuff. It will! This GTG is freaking awesome! I do think people that get this will truly enjoy having it.

As I stated in the Aragorn Maquette thread and the Firefly thread, great pics Josh. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

GTG looks great. My only minor nit pick is that I wish his arms were bent at the elbows somewhat. With teh straight arms, he looks a little stiff. And I'm loving the bases that Sideshow is giving this line. While not as detailed as Aragorn's wind swept plain, the rocky grags that Gandalf is on looks great.

I'm really hesistant to start a new line, as I spend enough on this hobby already, but this maquette line looks fantastic. I may sell off my SSW stuff to make room. Somebody's asking for an Easterling in the Commerce thread , and I may move him.

Off topic regarding GTG, but LOTR related, do you have any pics of the Morgul Lord PF, Josh?

The head sculpt is BEAUTIFUL, but i still think the rest of him looks stiff and too clean. What to do what to do!! :panic:
I have a perfectly good GTG statue already, and more iconic of GTG pose-wise. Plus he has the pipe in his staff, i don't know if this one does Josh? There are a couple of small details which the SS one doesn't have also.
But, the head sculpt!! Can i have it as just a bust please? :D

I'm really hesistant to start a new line, as I spend enough on this hobby already, but this maquette line looks fantastic. I may sell off my SSW stuff to make room. Somebody's asking for an Easterling in the Commerce thread , and I may move him.

noooo!!! The Easterling statue is one of the best, why sell? Unless you're only after main characters. If SS release an Easterling in this line, would you buy it? :dunno Weta made the armour and weapons for the film, and done them for the statue too, so the SSW Easterling is the most authentic statue you can get! :exactly:

The head sculpt is BEAUTIFUL, but i still think the rest of him looks stiff and too clean. What to do what to do!! :panic:
I have a perfectly good GTG statue already, and more iconic of GTG pose-wise. Plus he has the pipe in his staff, i don't know if this one does Josh? There are a couple of small details which the SS one doesn't have also.
But, the head sculpt!! Can i have it as just a bust please? :D

The head sculpt is great. Jeff did a bang up job on the sculpt. Yeah, I believe it did. It really has a nice flow and isn't as clean as it may appear. Not to mention the piece is pretty darn good size.

As I stated in the Aragorn Maquette thread and the Firefly thread, great pics Josh. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

GTG looks great. My only minor nit pick is that I wish his arms were bent at the elbows somewhat. With teh straight arms, he looks a little stiff. And I'm loving the bases that Sideshow is giving this line. While not as detailed as Aragorn's wind swept plain, the rocky grags that Gandalf is on looks great.

Off topic regarding GTG, but LOTR related, do you have any pics of the Morgul Lord PF, Josh?

No problem. I'm glad I get to go so I can share them with you all.

The bases are really good. I like what Sideshow is doing with these and as I've said before in a LOTR display it will fit in nicely.

I took a couple but not fully body shots for some reason. I'll post them in a bit in this section but I may have done so in the coverage thread of just some random pics.

The facial sculpt is fantastic, but beyond that I prefer the PF.

Back