Friday the 13th (2009) Movie Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont really have anything against remakes myself (if done right) and speaking of TCM, i thought the prequel was okay i guess and could have been better. zombies remake of halloween, i loved and thought it was kinda cool to see a young myers beating the living poop out of the school bully but as Roy says, it lacks the feel the original one had. anyway, i'm really pumped to watch the f13 remake and glad i'm hearing good things from fellow freaks and movie/horror buffs and not some dumb-A movie critic who'll probably end up giving this movie a negative review simply cuz its no benjamin button or something.

i dont really have anything against remakes myself (if done right) and speaking of TCM, i thought the prequel was okay i guess and could have been better. zombies remake of halloween, i loved and thought it was kinda cool to see a young myers beating the living poop out of the school bully but as Roy says, it lacks the feel the original one had. anyway, i'm really pumped to watch the f13 remake and glad i'm hearing good things from fellow freaks and movie/horror buffs and not some dumb-A movie critic who'll probably end up giving this movie a negative review simply cuz its no benjamin button or something.

Yeah,exactly. Rodger Ebert gave TCM a bad reveiw becausd he said "it felt too real" and the guys who made TCM were happy with that review,they said "that's the best thing someone could've said". If a horror movie feels too real then they did a good job. People with stupid opionions often speak them loudly. But us real horror fans appreciate a good horror movie.

I personally thought this was the best remake followed by the TCM's and then The Hills Have Eyes. I friggin' loved The Hills Have Eyes.

Happy Friday the 13th all!
Hope to see this one Sunday if time allows. Hope it is ok. Got a bad review in my local paper, but so did Underworld, so who cares. I'll see it anyway.

Here's a pic of my 19" Jason. He came yesterday.

0212092043.jpg

My twin brother and I just got back from the 11:05am showing and I have to say as far as a remake goes, this one didn't suck.
There were some parts that didn't make sense and the new kills were very creative.
I'm not sure if there's a thread about this movie with spoilers so I won't go into a lot of detail.
I give it a 4 out of 5 stars!
:chew:chew:chew:chew

This is the best Jason ever, and this is coming from the biggest J fan ever. I loved this movie. It starts with Pamela's beheading and only gets better. It's parts 1, 2, and 3 all rolled into one. I go to Comic Con SD every year as Jason. Here is a pic of me at the Con last July as the FvJ version of J with America Olivo (weird name), the girl in the new movie who oils up her boobs. Booyah!

l_bcee7405bc40b1c79382dff638e24ea1.jpg

Dude,
that is awesome. you got to see them twins upclose, even though they were clothed.
I caught the 1201 AM showing this morning. I thought it was pretty dang good. I really like the fact that his movement is more realistic instead of the zombified movement from the pervious flicks.

Come on, it's a Jason movie. What plot is there to spoil even in this one. If you've seen one, you've see them all. This one is just amped up on Monster Energy drink. I didn't say anything you don't find out in the first 3 minutes.

Come on, it's a Jason movie. What plot is there to spoil even in this one. If you've seen one, you've see them all. This one is just amped up on Monster Energy drink. I didn't say anything you don't find out in the first 3 minutes.

True but I just like to be surprised regardles of if its a remake or not. I guess i'm just use to all of the spoiler threads people make here when a new movie comes out. I don't even watch previews either.

I'm glad you liked it. :peace

I think it's funny when people rip on this new "remake" considering the oirginal Friday the 13th films were never really that good to begin with - just dumb, fun, entertainment. Unlike it's well-made and more original contemporaries (Texas Chinsaw, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, etc.) if any film deserved a decent remake/ reimagining, it was Friday the 13th. The 1980 original was far from Citizen Kane, or even the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and aside from it's fantastic gore effects, it is extremely slow-paced, and nothing exceptional, being little more than Halloween set in the woods, with elements from Psycho thrown in and a lower budget.

The haters of the 2009 film must have never seen Jason: Takes Manhattan, Goes to Hell, or X!

Rather than a remake of the original film, 2009's Friday the 13th, is a direct sequel to it, picking up right where 1980's Friday left off. Cutting away the dead-flesh, and poor production values from the sequels, the recent film takes only the best of what made them creepy and entertaining, and updates it for modern audiences, with a bigger budget. if you enjoyed the 2003 version of Texas Chainsaw, you should love this (which I did.) There really isn't anything new or groundbreaking, other than the fact that it really is a decent, well-made Jason film. It's just a damn shame it took the filmmakers 29 years and eleven flms to make it. Talk about trial and error.

My only big complaint, much like in the original sequels, is that other than a couple of CG titles at the bottom, the titular date is never really mentioned on film, which is a shame, since I feel alot could be done, story wise, tying Jason's rampage to that traditional date of mystery and bad-luck. They would have been better off calling it Jason's Revenge.
Either way, if you want to have fun at the best Friday movie in years, (or ever, if you're like me) be sure to check it out.

Last edited:
It's good to hear all of the positive buzz, that really keeps me excited for this.

And Mirakle I have to agree with you. The nice thing about a remake of Friday the 13th, is that none of the movies were as well made as the original Halloween or NOES, so they would have to totally screw the pooch..i.e Jason Goes to Hell.. to ruin it. They were never high art to begin with, so if taken seriously..(somewhat).. a remake would be great. It's good to hear it lives up to and surpasses the old Friday films. :rock

I have to wait till Monday to see this because of work. Im kinda glad though because I hate watching movies packed with obnoxious kids.

Also, Im surprised people actually like the Halloween remake...it was ^^^^^ing awful.

looking at galacticmysterysolvers basket case avatar reminds me that its been a while(more like years) since i've watched basket case again. it was a great movie that creeped the hell outta me as a kid.

My only big complaint, much like in the original sequels, is that other than a couple of CG titles at the bottom, the titular date is never really mentioned on film, which is a shame, since I feel alot could be done, story wise, tying Jason's rampage to that traditional date of mystery and bad-luck.

<<<<<<<< SPOILER ALERT >>>>>>>>>

The movie starts, Friday, June 13th, 1980, when the events of the first movie took place. When it goes to "Present Day" and we finally get the movie title "Friday the 13th" after the first series of killings (20 minutes into the film) I think that doulbes as letting us know that it is in fact Friday the 13th, whether it be that same night, or the immediate new day where our main story begins.

In the originals anyway, you never really get a mention of it actually being Friday the 13th accept in the first and sixth movies. The series name really comes from the date of the events in the first movie, and that's it. It's not because he only comes out on a Friday the 13th (of which there are usually only one or two in a year) the way Myers only comes out on Halloween. There was never any mystical magical thing about that day, especially since it's always in different months each year. In part six, it just also happened to be a Friday the 13th.

"He sure picked a good day to pull this s-h-i-t... Happy Friday the 13th." -Deputy Rick Cologne -part 6.

The movie starts, Friday, June 13th, 1980, when the events of the first movie took place. When it goes to "Present Day" and we finally get the movie title "Friday the 13th" after the first series of killings (20 minutes into the film) I think that doulbes as letting us know that it is in fact Friday the 13th, whether it be that same night, or the immediate new day where our main story begins.

In the originals anyway, you never really get a mention of it actually being Friday the 13th accept in the first and sixth movies. The series name really comes from the date of the events in the first movie, and that's it. It's not because he only comes out on a Friday the 13th (of which there are usually only one or two in a year) the way Myers only comes out on Halloween. There was never any mystical magical thing about that day, especially since it's always in different months each year. In part six, it just also happened to be a Friday the 13th.

"He sure picked a good day to pull this s-h-i-t... Happy Friday the 13th." -Deputy Rick Cologne

Great post, and I totally agree... I've debated that point with friends for years. Jason doesn't give a damn about what day it is... He just doesn't want anyone coming around his Lake...

"He sure picked a good day to pull this s-h-i-t... Happy Friday the 13th." -Deputy Rick Cologne -part 6.

That' what I'm saying. The date has always been downplayed in the films, but it seems like such a waste, because there's alot that could be done with it.

Back