For Your Consideration: The Dark Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amidst all the Slumdog Millionaire, Wall-E, and Milk Best Picture accolades from the various major film critic associations, The Dark Knight has actually been named Best Picture by three film critic associations thus far.

Austin Film Critics: https://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/dec/17/dark-knight-austin-critics

Utah Film Critics: https://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=5069

African American Film Critics:
https://theenvelope.latimes.com/ent...an-american-critics-2008dec19,0,5336250.story

In my opinion, this should mark the Dark Knight as a serious contender as one of the 5 movies that will be nominated for the Oscar Best Picture next month. To just get the nomination would be awesome.

Last edited:
That would be amazing. But.. If the Golden Globes didn't even nominate it, I'm not sure the Academy will

yeah im one of those ppl that, while i didnt very much enjoy and like TDK, i dont think its "best picture" material. its not exactly the "blockbuster" that many ppl hyped it up to be, but it had a great story and i love it. i just dont think its oscar great.

It may not be worth of a nomination, but it's most certainly a blockbuster :)...

Main Entry: block·bust·er
Pronunciation: \ˈbläk-ˌbəs-tər\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Date: 1942

: one that is notably expensive, effective, successful, large, or extravagant <a blockbuster movie>

I think TDK is absolutely worthy of a best picture nod from the films I've seen so far. Not to mention it's reviewed higher by critics than almost every other potential nominee that is out there.

Here's the T-Meter for the serious contenders....

The Wrestler - 97%
Wall-E - 96%
The Dark Knight - 94%
Happy Go Lucky - 94%
Milk - 93%
Slumdog Millionaire - 93%
Frost/Nixon - 90%
Rachel Getting Married - 87%
Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 83%
Doubt - 74%

As always with Hollywood, expect a political agenda, and with prop 8 the topic, expect Milk to be the frontrunner here. Wall-E will be pushed over into the animated category, although it should be in best picture. There will always be a small indie film represented and The Wrestler will fill that one. Slumdog is taking the world by storm and they won't be able to avoid that one and rightfully so. That leaves two slots left, now with ratings hurting for the Oscars they'll want Brangelina to attend for the ratings boost it supposedly would bring, so that will all but gaurantee either actings nods for one, both, or The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Which leaves TDK vs. the rest and I honestly don't see how any of those other films deserve the slot more than TDK. My final list...

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I seriously think Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar for The Jpker in The Dark Knight. I mean, his performance was chilling & extremely well done. ( Keeping fingers crossed ).

Well, chances are looking good "The Dark Knight" will be nominated for best picture at the Oscars as well. The PGA (producers guild of america) just nominated it as one of their 5 nominees.

My final list...

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon is a bad movie directed by academy awards winner Ron Howard, one of the worst living director. So it's obvious he is going to be nominated as best picture.

, because he ends up saying ^^^^ it, I have nothing for myself, but I'm going to devote my life to a greater good, even if I'm hated, even if I have nothing for me, I'll do this because it's the right thing to do.

sorry for jumping on this late, but i too really liked the end for this reason too.. it reminds me of the BATMAN MASK OF THE PHANTASM.. Bruce was torn now that he had someone waiting for him at the end of the night, so he dicided differently, until that person left and he had nothing to lose.

Well, chances are looking good "The Dark Knight" will be nominated for best picture at the Oscars as well. The PGA (producers guild of america) just nominated it as one of their 5 nominees.

I just saw that list this morning. Too cool!:banana
I think the PGA list will be the list announced when the Oscar nominations come up.

That would be wicked, even though it will not win.

I hope I'm not violating the rules and regulations of this forum by saying there's a group called "Dark Campaign - Support the Dark Knight for 2008 Oscars." I know there must be several more similar DK movements out there. Everybody here is invited to join, just check out this link:

https://DarkCampaign.com

Last edited:
As for the editing, I didnt like how poorly edited the chase scene was.

Batman drives away on the Batpod, cut to Batman shooting a glass window, cut to batman driving through a tunnel thing, cut to Batman shooting another glass window.....skip a bit, cut to Batman driving in the streets, cut to Batman in the ally....ect.

Awful. Scenes have to flow. Not skip. Nolan couldnt intersplice the Joker driving before Bats went into the ally? Eh...

this is true, strange that nobody of the entire team didn't see that the bat-pod scene you discribed was not noticed before the release...

he shoots the entrance of a glass window, than you see him riding freely, than you see him go thru a window...I would have thought it was the same window if they had edited that afther the scene where you see him shoot the glass...It was a very strange editing

I edited so it seemed like it was the same window. If it wasnt...well, that wasnt clear. When cut together, it worked.

I also put the snippet of The Joker when he's in the car, right before Batman drives down the ally. Works better.

What I caught the other day was the difference between the window that blows out in the opening shot and the appearance from the inside before the goons slide across to the bank roof.

I hope I'm not violating the rules and regulations of this forum by saying there's a group called "Dark Campaign - Support the Dark Knight for 2008 Oscars." I know there must be several more similar DK movements out there. Everybody here is invited to join, just check out this link:

https://DarkCampaign.com

Great site man, thanks for sharring :D

You're welcome! There's another group in Facebook called "The Campaign for The Dark Knight to be #1." Their goal is to unseat "Titanic" from the #1 US box office slot. Everyone's also invited to join or fans could just watch again the film's rerelease (this month?) in the US. I hope Warner will make the rerelease global because I'm not an American. O well, I think TDK is still showing in our local IMAX theater.

As for the Facebook TDK group, I hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&id=1554814055#/group.php?gid=20289029554&ref=mf

You're welcome! There's another group in Facebook called "The Campaign for The Dark Knight to be #1." Their goal is to unseat "Titanic" from the #1 US box office slot. Everyone's also invited to join or fans could just watch again the film's rerelease (this month?) in the US. I hope Warner will make the rerelease global because I'm not an American. O well, I think TDK is still showing in our local IMAX theater.

As for the Facebook TDK group, I hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&id=1554814055#/group.php?gid=20289029554&ref=mf

That is my dream as well. I'm all for resinking the Titanic :rock

Back