Estel's 12" Amon-Hen Aragorn (with video!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estel

Freaked Out
Reaction score
This is what's been keeping me busy lately.
The ingredients:

-Nose, forehead and brow have been resculpted.
-Sculpted strands of hair added.
-Head fully repainted.
-Grey shirt handsewn out of fine linnen and weathered.
-Rest of outfit completely weathered, as close to screen-accurate as possible.
-Elven knife added (Toybiz version), added real leather straps to attach to belt and allow movement of the scabbard.

Here's a quick video for now, will probably update it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZyYAG58Z8

And some pictures, will add some more later:

uvs080303-002.jpg

uvs080303-012.jpg

uvs080303-014.jpg

uvs080303-005.jpg

uvs080303-016.jpg

uvs080303-018.jpg

uvs080303-017.jpg

uvs080303-013.jpg

uvs080303-006.jpg

uvs080303-019.jpg

Ditto. This is the best Aragorn custom I have seen.

Are you still going to be selling the Grey shirt?

About the grey shirts, I might still do them if there's enough interest. Up until now I've had only three people wanting to buy one, considering the amount of time making one shirt costs, I think I'm going to need at least 10 orders.
But hey, feel free to drop a PM! :D

Anyway, here's another bunch of pics:

uvs080304-009.jpg

uvs080304-004.jpg

uvs080304-006.jpg

uvs080304-007.jpg

uvs080304-010.jpg

uvs080304-012.jpg

uvs080304-014.jpg

uvs080304-017.jpg

uvs080304-013.jpg

Estel, for some reason the pictures seem squeezed. I've had to look at them through Photoshop, after stretching them out a bit. Are these captures from video after it's been rendered as QuickTime?

It's hard not to dwell on all the costume and weathering details, but I'd really like to hear more about what you did to the likeness, because you've really brought Viggo out of it. Did you remove the hair to work on it? What did you do to the nose? Any chance of a photo of his profile?

The changes that jump out at me are that more of the brow is exposed, and you've either painted or resculpted to give him the half-eyebrows that distinguish Viggo's appearance.

Besides your application skills, you have a very good eye.

Estel, for some reason the pictures seem squeezed. I've had to look at them through Photoshop, after stretching them out a bit. Are these captures from video after it's been rendered as QuickTime?

You have a good eye too! These are indeed videocaptures from the youtube video, captured from the original resolution and shrunken down a bit. I can see why you mention they look a bit sqeeuzed, I'll try to use a different program to get some better ones

It's hard not to dwell on all the costume and weathering details, but I'd really like to hear more about what you did to the likeness, because you've really brought Viggo out of it. Did you remove the hair to work on it? What did you do to the nose? Any chance of a photo of his profile?

The changes that jump out at me are that more of the brow is exposed, and you've either painted or resculpted to give him the half-eyebrows that distinguish Viggo's appearance.

Besides your application skills, you have a very good eye.

I'm sure thegd won't mind me using this picture. Looks a bit ridiculous, but it'll do for now.

naamloosar_1-1.jpg

Alright let's start. I didn't remove the hair, but used some superglue to hold the original strands of hair in place. (green arrows) Then sculpted a few new strands out of sculpey and added them just above the forehead.

As for the sculpting on the forehead, ithe original had these weird wrinkles and an Y-shape between the eyes, so I completely smoothed that out with sculpey. Viggo has a pretty prominent forehead so I tried to capture that look by making it stick out a bit more. (light-red area). The yellow lines in the picture indicate the part where I gave the forehead a bit more of a square shape, also adding to making it more prominent.

As for the brow, I (indeed) made it more exposed. The overall shape of the brow in the original sculpt wasn't all that bad, but it had an overal flat shape to it, making the eyes come out a lot more than they should (the deer-in-the-headlights-look). So by exposing it more, the eyes became much more natural looking and a bit more sunken in. (dark-red area) I also sculpted it to have a bit more of the 'flow' that Viggo's brow has.

I didn't sculpt any eyebrows, I just painted them. Exposing them a bit more at the sides and turning them more inwards towards the nose. The nose itself, I lengthened the tip of the nose (very noticable on Viggo's face) and widened the bridge just slightely near the top (blue areas).

The lips are just a matter of paint. The original paint caused the figure to have a huge upperlip (purple area), so painting an accurate beard there, made it look much better. Not to forget adding the scar on Viggo's lip.

Profile shot coming up! And a PM coming your way Superdoug!

Back