Dr. Doom Legendary Scale Figure - order now from first post!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dr. Doom LSF!

Yeah whoever does these Sideshow statue poses needs to be fired or get more creativity. Vision was especially bad, but many others are just plain boring. Seems like every male now is just going to have a generic on edge pose with one leg standing on something slightly higher than the other.

very true to a certain extent. Sideshow really need to vary their poses for such iconic characters...agreed on that an arms folded pose would have been ideal for Doom

This pose suits doom
4A90A5C5-0A04-412A-A18A-EAFB611B0806-5883-000006499BECD142.jpg

I hope that this piece does reveal itself soon...it is jamming up my decisions SSC, let's go already. The anticipation is high, the Shakespeare pose is in full effect, what's with all of the secrets? Can we get a pre-order up soon please? I am begging you.:pray:

Its also been done to death

In LSF scale? With the LSF amount of detail and fabric?
I think I would prefer an iconic pose that is redundant to a much smaller scaled, less detailed piece to a pose that is original but doesn't really mean anything.

But like I said- alter the right arm and hand just a few slight degrees, put a cosmic cube in his hand and *boom*, the whole pose is suddenly pulled together and has a story. He's standing on the precipice of his castle, reveling in his possession of the Cube.

I'll go one step further and say that holding out his hands like that- palms upturned and empty, is a supine gesture and implies weakness, not strength. The gesture is not only odd or meaningless, what it suggests is entirely inappropriate to this particular character. Like much of SS's art direction (see the innumerable examples of characters with stroke hands), it's arty looking for the sake of looking arty.
Is he making a plea for mercy? Petitioning some being more powerful? Serenading Wanda? Because those are more in line with what that pose implies.

Last edited:

The sculpting on this is gorgeous as is the tailoring of the fabric.

I'm just baffled by the thought process that went into having him posed like that.
It's body language that implies passivity, contrition , and weakness used on a character that should be projecting an air of authority, dominance, and power.

Most often, though, the palm-up gesture — like other gestures — is used unconsciously. Skilled politicians instinctively woo audiences with the upraised palms that made Mr. Clinton and Ronald Reagan seem so genial and helpful (or contrite, when the occasion demanded). Veteran politicans know to avoid palm-down gestures unless they’re attacking enemies or trying to look strong (like Richard Nixon desperately flashing his victory signs as his presidency was collapsing).

In “Gesture: Visible Action as Utterance,” Adam Kendon of the University of Pennsylvania explains what a difference the palm’s direction makes:

Gestures of the Open Hand Prone or “palm down” family are used in contexts where something is being denied, negated, interrupted or stopped, whether explicitly or by implication. Open hand Supine (or “palm up”) family gestures, on the other hand, are used in contexts where the speaker is offering, giving or showing something or requesting the reception of something. It also includes gestures in which, very often, both hands, sustained in the Open Hand Supine pose, are moved away from one another, as if being withdrawn from the space immediately in front of the speaker. The semantic theme of these gestures is that of the withdrawal of action or of non-intervention.

David Givens, the author of the Nonverbal Dictionary, traces these gestures to “paleocircuits” in the brain and spinal cord inherited from ancient vertebrates that adopted supine or aggressive postures depending on the situation:

The supinated (palm-up) hand originates as a component of the larger protective-crouch posture. As such, it suggests harmlessness instead of aggression, like the pronated (palm-down) hand suggests as a component of the larger push-up to a high-stand posture. These basic postures and their parts, which are wired into the vertebrate neuromuscular system, are tell-tale signs of how a chimp–or human–feels: e.g., submissive-harmless or dominant-aggressive.

from The Language of Hands

I guess SS, when they put it up for PO can post a narrative with it that tells how the Latverian elections are coming up and Doom is petitioning for votes and trying to look genial and accommodating to woo the peasants, but secretly intends to raise the tax rate to 90% when he's re-elected dictator.
:)

Last edited:

The folded arms only works for the I Dream of Jeanie woman.

s-I-DREAM-OF-JEANNIE-large.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl nice one!

The sculpting on this is gorgeous as is the tailoring of the fabric.

I'm just baffled by the thought process that went into having him posed like that.
It's body language that implies passivity, contrition , and weakness used on a character that should be projecting an air of authority, dominance, and power.

from The Language of Hands

I guess SS, when they put it up for PO can post a narrative with it that tells how the Latverian elections are coming up and Doom is petitioning for votes and trying to look genial and accommodating to woo the peasants, but secretly intends to raise the tax rate to 90% when he's re-elected dictator.
:)

:goodpost::exactly:

I think I would prefer an iconic pose that is redundant to a much smaller scaled, less detailed piece to a pose that is original but doesn't really mean anything.

Agreed. I would never let an older, smaller piece get in the way of a definitive pose for a definitive statue. But then, that's not the way Sideshow rolls.

does anyone at sdcc know if the legendary scale statue has a release date or price?

thx

Any idea why the tweaked version wasn't displayed? I remember seeing the letter "D" on the lining of the cape on the new version. They also put the belt upside down this year.

So, I totally didn't know that this statue existed until I saw it at sdcc today. It's freaking amazing. No preorder yet?

I didnt buy Wolverine LSF for several reasons ,one of them for not including the other 2 heads .....didnt know if this doom like i hope, brings removable mask to see his face or alternative head..but I will not care to sell my kidney to pay this BIG mother ********R

doom_production_peek.jpg

Back