Dr. Doom Legendary Scale Figure - order now from first post!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got mine in and the statue itself looks amazing with just a few minor complaints. The belt buckle being my major one but they left the chain out for his cape. It's just not here. AHHHHHHHHHH. So disappointed and can't call yet cause they're on pacific time. I'll post pics when I get my damn cape chain.

IMG_0237.JPGIMG_0238.JPGIMG_0239.JPGIMG_0240.JPGIMG_0247.JPGSo haven't heard from Sideshow about my missing cape chain yet. The buckle on his belt is really my only major complaint. It's cheaply made and the prongs are bent weird and don't fit right. Other than that it looks great and I'm not disappointed.

Azurepred – Dimensions on him look to be about 25" x 14.25" x 43". That is measuring from the base. His arms stretch out over the base so you have to figure another 2". If you happen to have the Darth Maul LSF, Dr. Doom looks to be 3 - 4" taller than him. As for the head, I have to be honest mine had some substantial weight to it. Felt very solid to me and not plastic at all.

that's good to hear man. Looking at the SS dimensions, I was worried I'd have no where to put this, so I'm glad it is a tad smaller. Good to hear about the head too.

Exactly. And look at the PF unmasked head. That ugly thing got approved and the LSF one didn't? Wouldn't surprise me if SSC gets a freebie excuse of "marvel wouldn't approve it" when it's really just "let's cut costs."

I would've ordered Wolvie if it came with those damn things. They would've sold many more units.

ECC stuff? I'm not sure anything out there right now is worth 2k to me. I'm just not willing to spend that much on one piece. These LSFs are impressive size no doubt but I still can't see paying 2k for them. Doom is one of the better ones though. The ~$1200 I'm going to spend on XM Phoenix is my absolute limit and even that's pushing it. It's not that I can't afford it but its just I'd rather spend my money on two pieces rather than one...and space is definitely an issue.

You've never heard of Elite Creature Collectibles? It's run by Steve Wang. We have different ideals. I would rather spend some more money for the best representation of a character (no matter the size except full 1:1). I'm sure that Phoenix will never be beaten, but Marvel is not my prime line of collecting. I know Magneto is bad ass, but I still don't understand the crazy prices for that one.

I just got mine in and the statue itself looks amazing with just a few minor complaints. The belt buckle being my major one but they left the chain out for his cape. It's just not here. AHHHHHHHHHH. So disappointed and can't call yet cause they're on pacific time. I'll post pics when I get my damn cape chain.

looks great man.

You've never heard of Elite Creature Collectibles? It's run by Steve Wang. We have different ideals. I would rather spend some more money for the best representation of a character (no matter the size except full 1:1). I'm sure that Phoenix will never be beaten, but Marvel is not my prime line of collecting. I know Magneto is bad ass, but I still don't understand the crazy prices for that one.

To give a serious answer: the crazy price is due to all the key factors being in place. It's (1) one of the most popular Marvel characters, (2) never (officially) done in 1:4 scale before, (3) with an amazing design/concept and (4) a flawless execution. To boot, you also have (5) an extremely limited ES, which is further limited by the restriction applied by XM's licensing agreements. Before you ask: hell no, I wouldn't spend that kind of money, on him or any other collectible out there. I'm just giving a rationale behind it.
To echo your perplexity, I'm puzzled at people defining this Doom "the next gen" of statue collecting, I know that tastes are tastes, but I surely hope that "the next gen" is not just "bigger than ever, with less and less details". I'd drop this hobby faster than a speeding bullet.

As much as I want this piece--and I tried in earnest to take someone's preorder--the price tag is a bigger issue than space. I mean, I could take a trip to Greece for the cost of this statue. Kind of difficult for me to rationalize it when I think of it in those terms.

As much as I want this piece--and I tried in earnest to take someone's preorder--the price tag is a bigger issue than space. I mean, I could take a trip to Greece for the cost of this statue. Kind of difficult for me to rationalize it when I think of it in those terms.

Think of this like getting a puppy except it doesn't die or age really, it's your life long prize companion

To give a serious answer: the crazy price is due to all the key factors being in place. It's (1) one of the most popular Marvel characters, (2) never (officially) done in 1:4 scale before, (3) with an amazing design/concept and (4) a flawless execution. To boot, you also have (5) an extremely limited ES, which is further limited by the restriction applied by XM's licensing agreements. Before you ask: hell no, I wouldn't spend that kind of money, on him or any other collectible out there. I'm just giving a rationale behind it.
To echo your perplexity, I'm puzzled at people defining this Doom "the next gen" of statue collecting, I know that tastes are tastes, but I surely hope that "the next gen" is not just "bigger than ever, with less and less details". I'd drop this hobby faster than a speeding bullet.

for me, I would never even have Magneto in my top 20. Never cared for the character and never will. I don't know about next gen, but this Doom is way more detailed than any other Doom out there. If SS put as much effort into Doom as they did with his chair on the first pf, could be a different story. Not taking size into account, I still think this is the better Doom.

for me, I would never even have Magneto in my top 20. Never cared for the character and never will.

Well, yes, that's about you - but a huge chunk of the comics collectors in the community probably have Magneto in their top 5, easily. Magneto's pieces always seem to appreciate a lot, look at Koto's Magneto, Bowen action Magneto, MadX custom... only the SS comiquette didn't make it, lol.

I don't know about next gen, but this Doom is way more detailed than any other Doom out there. If SS put as much effort into Doom as they did with his chair on the first pf, could be a different story. Not taking size into account, I still think this is the better Doom.

I agree with the sentiment about the first PF. If I want a Doom piece, I want a Doom piece... not an awesome throne with an average Doom on it.
But comparing the two, you're basically comparing a Doom with no details on his armor (original PF) to one that has a couple of sculpted ornaments, not highlighted by an average/subpar paint app. The latter wins, yes, but overall is still pretty average for the price point.
Making another comparison with another armored piece - the details on Doom's armor are a joke compared to the Reaper LSF, in any way you consider the thing. Sculpt, paint app, intricacy. The Reaper literally blows this one out of the water - for half the price.
It's an odd situation... compared to other LSFs (except Reaper and maybe Wolf), this one is definitely better. Switch outs, pedestal for the unused mask, a decent non-random-circular base, even an unmasked portrait... but if I think about it long enough I can't help but say that it's a lot of robe on a decent sculpt and average paint app. Definitely overpriced.
But not trying to put down those who bought it, if they like it, go for it.

I'll keep waiting for someone to produce the definitive Doom, 1:4 or 1:3 scale :D

Well, yes, that's about you - but a huge chunk of the comics collectors in the community probably have Magneto in their top 5, easily. Magneto's pieces always seem to appreciate a lot, look at Koto's Magneto, Bowen action Magneto, MadX custom... only the SS comiquette didn't make it, lol.

I agree with the sentiment about the first PF. If I want a Doom piece, I want a Doom piece... not an awesome throne with an average Doom on it.
But comparing the two, you're basically comparing a Doom with no details on his armor (original PF) to one that has a couple of sculpted ornaments, not highlighted by an average/subpar paint app. The latter wins, yes, but overall is still pretty average for the price point.
Making another comparison with another armored piece - the details on Doom's armor are a joke compared to the Reaper LSF, in any way you consider the thing. Sculpt, paint app, intricacy. The Reaper literally blows this one out of the water - for half the price.
It's an odd situation... compared to other LSFs (except Reaper and maybe Wolf), this one is definitely better. Switch outs, pedestal for the unused mask, a decent non-random-circular base, even an unmasked portrait... but if I think about it long enough I can't help but say that it's a lot of robe on a decent sculpt and average paint app. Definitely overpriced.
But not trying to put down those who bought it, if they like it, go for it.

I'll keep waiting for someone to produce the definitive Doom, 1:4 or 1:3 scale :D

I don't think you can compare this to the Reaper LSF in sculpt. It's more detailed in the sculpt because it can be. The characters are different, one allows for more detail, the other doesn't. Doom can't get anymore detailed than this one is. The only other thing they could've done is made a more detailed base. Unless XM copies this sculpt, it's not even possible for them to make a more detailed Doom.

It's cool but not 2K cool. The size is impressive but other than that...meh...looking forward to receiving my Doom PF later this year.

This looks so good. If I loved Doom - id want this so bad.

Only LSF Im holding out for is Spidey or Batman (or someone big from X-Men)

I don't think you can compare this to the Reaper LSF in sculpt. It's more detailed in the sculpt because it can be. The characters are different, one allows for more detail, the other doesn't. Doom can't get anymore detailed than this one is. The only other thing they could've done is made a more detailed base. Unless XM copies this sculpt, it's not even possible for them to make a more detailed Doom.

This. You can only copy the character so much before it becomes a variant by adding more details, these guys were drawn simplistically back then and haven't evolved too much, from the pictures and everything I've seen so far I'm not sure what else you could ask for in terms of details. But I guess for 2k nitpicking is understandable.

Back