Do all these new licenses mean the end for the old?`

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As happy as I am that Sideshow is making great new 12-inchers for LOTR and SW, I do think that the huge numbers that these two lines are bringing in are going to have an effect on the older, slower to sell lines. An exclusive SW figure with a run of 1750 sells out in one hour, but Darla had an edition size of 500 and lasted for a couple of weeks (I think, I may not be remembering that right...) The phenomenal sales of the new lines is great, but Sideshow has to be pretty patient to produce figures of such low editions that take forever to sell through. At some point the edition size falls to a point that it isn't profitable to bother producing.

That being said, I hope that Sideshow can take the fast cash from Luke and Aragorn sales, and use that to balance that against the slower turn-around for some of the lesser selling "must-have figures" from other lines.

This has been a surprising week though, raise your hands if you ever thought you might get a Graboid statue!:wacky

Ironman, I can sympathize with your POTA dillema...if they stop the Bond line...I dunno what I will do with myself. They're what brought me to sideshow and what kept me coming back. I can handle only a Bond figure a year...well I would prefer a couple, but I could handle one a year.

I think as the SW and LotR lines become entrenched it might bring people who had never been exposed to 1/6 into the hobby and there could be a resurgence of interest in the other lines.

Or not...

the x-files line gets a skinner, so i'm SURE we'll eventually, sometime, i suppose, see a giles, maybe, hopefully. . .

I think it might be a good idea for SS to sell some fan coveted pieces as a site exclusive without a regular run. When people pay full retail, as with exclusives, they can make a profit without having to sell a bunch at the wholesale 40% discount to dealers. Let the dealers get the LOTR and SW pieces, which will sell no matter what the numbers are.

Look at the 1/4 Wolfman, that piece had a low exclusive run, and has been a huge success. Maybe all the Uni Monster 1/4's could be low run exclusives? The same could hold true for X-Files 12", Buffy 12", Uni Monster 12", and all the other semi-popular lines.

Actually, looking at the SS site, I think the Planet of the Apes line SHOULD be cancelled. Recent releases in that line followed my above formula (low run, site exclusive), and still haven't sold out. SS is no doubt losing money on them. I've been given several Ape Exclusives for free by SS.

Sorry ironman.:peace

elwood49 said:
I think it might be a good idea for SS to sell some fan coveted pieces as a site exclusive without a regular run. When people pay full retail, as with exclusives, they can make a profit without having to sell a bunch at the wholesale 40% discount to dealers. Let the dealers get the LOTR and SW pieces, which will sell no matter what the numbers are.

Look at the 1/4 Wolfman, that piece had a low exclusive run, and has been a huge success. Maybe all the Uni Monster 1/4's could be low run exclusives? The same could hold true for X-Files 12", Buffy 12", Uni Monster 12", and all the other semi-popular lines.

Actually, looking at the SS site, I think the Planet of the Apes line SHOULD be cancelled. Recent releases in that line followed my above formula (low run, site exclusive), and still haven't sold out. SS is no doubt losing money on them. I've been given several Ape Exclusives for free by SS.

:nono

I disagree that the Ape line should be discontinued. Many of them are on second chance, the exclusive Ursus US run has sold out, and all the Ape fans I talked with said the Mutant Jailer didn't have a chance and he Sold Out before the leader did. I think SS ran into a jam with the exclusives because they released the same figure with different clothes, or a gun, or a paper poster. I wouldn't trade my exclusives for anything but, if you want an exclusive, give me a low number on a figure that doesn't have a regular version or something like that. And you can't compare the Beneath Taylor as a real exclusive. He is the Taylor from the Taylor and Nova set with different clothes.
I think the Problem with the Sidshow Ape line is they released too many at one time which hurt the pocket of some of us collectors, they released too many of the smae figures, (4 Taylors???) and the advertising wasn't that great for the Apes.I consider myself a big Ape collector. I have all of the Mego Apes loose and in their packages, including the playsets, the origianl Addar models looe and sealed in their packages (and yes, that includes the Ape on the Satllion), as well as many other obscure things. How did I find out about the Sideshow Ape line? It wasn't buy their advertising; I found out about Sideshows Ape line buy accident.
I disagree that the line is dead, and hope you are worng. BUT, if it is, I still can't complain because they did release a lot of decent Ape figures. :rock

elwood49 said:

Well,we should consider character repetition of the Ape line being part of the slow sales...and that the sculpting missed the mark on a few figures.Sideshow collectors are notoriously picky,quality is why we are fans in the first place.

Better sculps,and just a little more variety in the character selection could revive the line.

I guess there's always hope, even if it's "just a fool's hope."

Regarding POTA: I read on a website (tvnewsondvd.com or something similar) that they are planning a major DVD box set release this year, which will include special editions of all of the "Apes" films, including the Burton remake, the complete television show, and the new to DVD animated series, all in one big set. Perhaps this will drum up some more interest for the line.

And of course we have another Bond movie coming out after a four year wait. The Bond line hasn't really ever had the push of a concurrent theatrical release to help it along. That might help their sales, if there is anything left to buy at the time besides Wai Lin.

There continues to be talk of an X-Files movie, and many believe that will happen soon. X-Files was a major cultural phenomenon and achieved critical and commercial success and high ratings throughout its run. Another movie to put it back in people's minds would help the Sideshow line--again, if there was anything left to sell by then.

And Buffy fans have a new movie coming up as well, which will renew interest in the line. No, wait a minute... Nevermind. They don't. Joss has moved on to other things... :naughty

Just kidding. I don't follow Buffy and never once watched the show, but I have heard that they are considering making what would basically amount to TV movies based on certain supporting characters and releasing them straight to DVD. Any publicity is good publicity, and again, this might renew interest in the line.

All of these lines (and more) have some hope of seeing future releases. Remember, Goonies never say die.

elwood49 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, Elwood. I just cannot agree. The lack of variety in the early offerings, FOUR Taylors!!!, was not a help. There was little to no sales pitch and when they got to site exclusives....well, I think there may have been better choices for the characters chosen. But, if you were lucky enough to get several exclusives for free, I'd be happy to negotiate a deal for a few I may not have. :)

I second that notion. I will gladly take what you consider a failure off your hands, my friend. SSC's heart just wasn't 100% into the Ape line after the first run. I also agree that the overload on Taylors helped steal the magic away from the Ape's line. One or two figures a year from this line could still flourish, I believe. Figures that are unique and true examples of their counterparts though, not just rehashed characters. This line could still excell if SSC poured out some kickass accessories; discussed in another thread, and too long to list. There are still quite a few strong characters left untouched by SSC but that will be left to them. Come on SSC, more Ape related items!

I was thinking about this post today and I am not taking back what I said about two many of the same figure BUT if Sideshow were to do an Astronaut Alan Verdon and Peter Burke, and then release the same figure in their slave attire, I WOUL BE FIRST IN LINE TO BUY BOTH VERSIONS :rock
But, I think what would be cool for the Alan Virdon and Pete Burk is if Sideshow would release them in their Astronaut attire and package with them in the same set their slave attire to change them into. If you are like me, I would have to buy two sets of them to have one in Astronaut Attire and the other to dress in Slave Attire. I think if they double packed them like they did Taylor and Nova, and had them in the Astronaut suits and pack the slave suits in the same package, they would be surprised at how fast they would sale.
Of course, for accessories we would need their back packs, the fight disc recorder that Alan carried, maybe an ape rifle, the water canteen that Alan carried on the side of his back pack, and so on. :drool

Back