Disney+: Light and Magic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it's an incredible documentary, really highlights the profound effect that Lucas and the guys at ILM had on the movie industry, "Just think about it" :)

They were all fascinating, apart from the one on morphing.

There's another documentary series out which tells the same story - Icons Unearthed: Star Wars.

I watched the first four episodes, because after that it moves onto the Prequels.

This one has the interesting perspective that it features new interviews with Marcia Lucas, who often gets overlooked yet played such an important role in keeping things on track, and making Star Wars the force it became with her skills in editing.

I felt bad for Dykstra, getting the boot after getting Star Wars over the finish line.

I felt bad for Dykstra, getting the boot after getting Star Wars over the finish line.

For all the fun and games and the excitement of pioneering, things got pretty dark at times with the stress of the endeavour.

Phil Tippet's tale got quite sad at one point, when he realised his art and skill was no longer as required when CGI was taking over. Even though he stayed on in a different capacity it wasn't the same for him.

I haven't seen that part yet. I've just got to the part with John Knoll. ILM certainly seems to have lost that initial 'magic' when the digital stuff started.

Some of the guys saying it went too corporate resonated with me as well. My current workplace has gone from 10 artists to over 70 and it definitely kills the 'friends making cool stuff' vibe.

Back