Detolf Stability/Lighting Query

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvcchevy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Short Version:

When assembling an Ikea Detolf, how absolutely necessary are the vertical plastic rails that slide on the rear 3 glass pieces? I want to leave 1 off.

Extended Explanation:

Due to the new dimmer ikea dioders, I went to barlighting.com and got some of their LED strips. Only problem is, the connecting coord from the power box to each light strip, is significantly shorter. It's only like 2ft.
So, I want to leave off 1 of the plastic rails on the backside, to be able to cleanly run the shorter wires.

Any input/suggestions/pics greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Hey Chris,

What you can do is cut up that plastic strip, and leave out the sections where the cord will run through... then all the remaining areas will be covered. They really do help stabilize and keep dust out of the cabinet.

Short Version:

When assembling an Ikea Detolf, how absolutely necessary are the vertical plastic rails that slide on the rear 3 glass pieces? I want to leave 1 off.

Extended Explanation:

Due to the new dimmer ikea dioders, I went to barlighting.com and got some of their LED strips. Only problem is, the connecting coord from the power box to each light strip, is significantly shorter. It's only like 2ft.
So, I want to leave off 1 of the plastic rails on the backside, to be able to cleanly run the shorter wires.

Any input/suggestions/pics greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

cutting slits in the plastic is where I was leaning. The coords aren't long enough to drill holes in the base.

Thanks for the info guys

Or cut the wires and sodder a longer cable to them and cover it with some heat shrink. That's what I did with my multicolor dioder LEDs.

Back