Darth Malgus - Sideshow 1/6th Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they were made of cortosis or some other lightsaber resistant material it would make them work better as blade guards during lightsaber duels.

It'd be cool if it was mentioned somewhere that's what they were made of.

As for the figure itself, i'm a little bummed by the lack of any waist articulation and the waist itself being a little too thin; but everything else looks great, glad i preordered it.

Also figures.com has a gallery up if anyone's interested:
https://www.figures.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=11171

They're just durasteel. The style from that era of galactic history had that blade flanges were a popular design choice.

They started in the old dark horse tales of the Jedi comics.
This is just the evolution of that. Malgus has just gone the extra mile and sharpened the edge of the flange into a cutting surface. Edged weapons hurt more than a lightsaber, which would cauterize, and kill nerve endings.

A lightsaber wouldn't need a blade gaurd. The blade is nigh indestructible, and the weirder can use the force.

Also, chortosis is dumb, and inconsistent.

Comic and novel chortosis has a unique magnetic property that causes lightsabers to short out if they touch it.
Becuase of this, a lightsaber can't cut chortosis. The blade simply shuts down when it connects.

Bioware simply heard that lightsabers can't cut chortosis, and stopped researching there. Becuase of this, in their games, chortosis blocks lightsabers.

This is inconsistent, and dumb. Chortosis is also INSANELY RARE. A sword made from it would be as valuable as a speeder. Possibly a small ship.

The material that lightsabers can't cut through, isn't terribly rare, and is used in weapons and armor is Beskar. Also known as mandolorian iron.

I've said it before and will say it again.

Bioware, do your damn lore research.

Last edited:
It's just a design choice. A fancy and menacing blade guard.
Likely he could also use it to stab someone if he didn't want to engage the lightsaber blade itself.
And there's a long history in sword fighting of using the pommel or the blade guard to punch your opponent in close quarters combat.

This, in the book Malgus more than once used his fist, feet and hilt in combat. Not just the blade of the saber. He is a brutal character.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

It's just a design choice. A fancy and menacing blade guard.
Likely he could also use it to stab someone if he didn't want to engage the lightsaber blade itself.
And there's a long history in sword fighting of using the pommel or the blade guard to punch your opponent in close quarters combat.

:exactly: I like the design idea.

I love the design of the character (I always have)! The figure is really quite impressive, and the two head sculpts are exceptionally good. The only off putting aspect of the figure is the shiny black part on the arms, thighs and abdomen. Dampen that sheen and he's got that complete weathered look.

Yeah, it's kind of odd looking how some parts of his armor have this scratched, weathered effect but then you have these glossy black bits everywhere.

Great review optibotimus and i'm really looking forward to getting this guy :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/80AmNNU5iyw"]https://youtu.be/80AmNNU5iyw[/ame]

That was an awesome video.
I can't wait to get this figure.
I know he's from the Old Republic game.
Are there any books out there with him in it?
Just curious.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Republic-Deceived/dp/0345511395/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388166645&sr=8-7&keywords=deceived[/ame]

Does Optibotimus do reviews for Sideshow now and not the Hot Chix lady anymore?

Hot chix started their own company called typhoon toys or something, theyve just been really busy they said so they havent been keeping up with reviews. Optibotimus gets early review pieces from them, which i dont think hot chicks ever got

I hope you can futz that out, but his posterior may have to stay behind the cape. They gave him such an extreme V cut. He must be on that clone pro body maybe?

Superb figure . Great video review by optibotimus = re-ordered the ex.
It's a random figure but a beauty :D

Does Optibotimus do reviews for Sideshow now and not the Hot Chix lady anymore?
I do like Optibotimus' reviews, but I prefer Wendy from Hot Chix, because she actually strips the figure bare.
What a shame she doesn't do anymore reviews.

Back