C'mon, Sideshow! We ALSO NEED this!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olvidadero said:
Nice words for the Sideshow Willow are so rare, it's good to read them. It's obviously one of the worst figures in the line, but I wouldn't say disastrous either. The likeness is there, and not like the real disastrous figure for me, Faith. As far as likeness is concerned, Darla's not that good either, but it's such a cool figure that I overlook that defect.

The costume is spot on - it makes me hope we get another Willow (and Faith) with a better headsculpt - I'd buy two of each and use the second to redeem the original figure :)

olvidadero said:
As far as likeness is concerned, Darla's not that good either, but it's such a cool figure that I overlook that defect.
Oh man, don't even get me started on Rocky Dennis aka Darla. When Andy posted the pics of his original sculpt, it broke my heart to see how badly it suffered in the production process. All I can do is pray that she gets another shot in the Angel line.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Oh man, don't even get me started on Rocky Dennis aka Darla. When Andy posted the pics of his original sculpt, it broke my heart to see how badly it suffered in the production process. All I can do is pray that she gets another shot in the Angel line.

Could you post a link to those pics? Darla will always look a bit like Exorcist's Regan with a hungover, but still the overall look of the figure is nice

What this company needs is some damn good portrait sculptors. I'm fed up with the 'cop out' of having vamp faced versions of certain characters. I mean how wonderful (and more logical) it would have been to have a human faced Darla to go with origins Angel, and a human faced Dru to go with human faced Spike.

When they work over a scan (in the case of Spike) it looks fantastic, the original Angel and Buffy are also good, but since then the line is, I have to say, rather on the weak side when it comes to a really accurate likeness of a character, and when it comes to all of the women, well less said the better.

In a perverted way I liked Cordy, but the longer I've had her, the more things I can see wrong with her. And yes, her huge head is the main problem there. The lazy paintwork I can work with, but still not being able to get a grip on what size to produce a head so as to allow for shrinkage in manufacturing after all this time is just ridiculous.

I mean, how long has Sideshow been in business?

I would like either Anya or Anyanka. I also feel that my collection wouldn't be complete without Anya, Dawn and Tara. Dark Witch Willow would be nice to have and so would a new resculpt of Willow and Faith but i dont think it'll happen

Last edited:
LordAzrael said:
The costume is spot on - it makes me hope we get another Willow (and Faith) with a better headsculpt - I'd buy two of each and use the second to redeem the original figure :)
I agree, I have no complaints about the costume, the work Sideshow put into the sweater is admirable. Also the original sculpt Andy did of Willow was quite good, it's the factory that screwed the sculpt up in production.

TheObsoleteMan said:

Thank you man!

The problem with Darla is that they tried to capture a sole freezed moment in time of her face, and while they did that nicely (you can see the strong resemblance in the production photos), the painted prototype and the final product lacked a "complete" likeness of Julie Benz, which made her less attractive. I wish they did a new Darla in human form, from an "Angel" episode, like Season 3 pregnant in her red outfit, or Season 2 "Darla" in her period dress. The fact is that DST Darlas look more like Darla because they didn't try to copy every detail in a frame.

As for Willow, yeah, it's the factory the one to blame. However, due to that disaster SSC could've reinforced the supervising of the production in order to avoid later mistakes such as lazy eyed Buffy and Cordy.

Bring on Anya as well as a human-faced Darla and Dru! I'll buy 'em all if they do them right!

Back