Chrome paintjob with a hint of blue help needed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogul1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking to recreate a colour I saw on an iron man figure recently as I like the subtle blue tint in it. However I'm not sure how to recreate it. I have airbrush etc
I tried using alclad black gloss and then spraying a bit of alclad chrome with a tiny bit of tamiya metallic blue in it but didn't really work (looked more grey (see second picture)
Its this chrome/blue colour on the shoulder of the bones figure. I know there are some fantastic painters amongst us so any help would be greatly appreciated.
18ef11f1efbe614bd9a5cbe252600e6b.jpg

33c3ce6f09f8af15b5ac55129e03e42f.jpg

humbrol polished steel rub and buff spray paint gives a dark chrome blued steel look like that after buffing it up.

;8704453 said:
humbrol polished steel rub and buff spray paint gives a dark chrome blued steel look like that after buffing it up.

Thanks I'll google that now :eek:)

Instead od mixing alclad chrome with blue (which will kill the shine), experiment by first applying a clear metallic coat and then spraying a thin, very transparent coat of some clear blue tint over it. For example one of Tamyia "clear" series, or even one of Alclad's transparent coats, since they are meant for that kind of work. Also, the bluish metal you've shown has a slight hint of light purple to it, so you might think about adding just a touch of red to your transparent blue coats.

Also, Alclad has a "Hot Metal" and "Candy" lines which has some colours similar to what you are looking for. Applying light transparent coats over a silver base, should do the trick.

Instead od mixing alclad chrome with blue (which will kill the shine), experiment by first applying a clear metallic coat and then spraying a thin, very transparent coat of some clear blue tint over it. For example one of Tamyia "clear" series, or even one of Alclad's transparent coats, since they are meant for that kind of work. Also, the bluish metal you've shown has a slight hint of light purple to it, so you might think about adding just a touch of red to your transparent blue coats.

Also, Alclad has a "Hot Metal" and "Candy" lines which has some colours similar to what you are looking for. Applying light transparent coats over a silver base, should do the trick.

Thanks I'm going to give that a go too!

Back