Chrome Hounds Mechs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingB

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are model kits or something along those lines out there for mech lovers like myself? I have laways wanted a bunch of big mechs taking up my entire room custom painted, weathered etc. They don't have to be chromehounds specifically but cool mechs and I thought that posting here might garner a response from someone.

What do you want? Model kits or pre made figures? There is a whole industry of mecha figures of all kinds in Japan and I know quite a bit about that so if you're interested just provide more information and we might be able to help you find something you like.

You do mention model kits so I would say a nice choice would be the Kotobukiya Armored Core model kits. They are fairly big at 1/72 scale, fun to build, and the parts are actually interchangeable so the more of them you have the more fun you can have, much like in the actual game series. They also are far more industrial looking than say something like Gundam, which is very much an anime styled mech.

OH cool monger.... I had no idea that there was such a vast array of options out there. I really am ignorrant on the subject.... How much would a premade cost??? I am not a big modeler so not sure what kind of an undertaking it would be. lol. I have seen gundam options before but they really didn't do much for me. I am looking for as you said a more industrial look but not quite looking for the Japaneese Gundam & Koto look. I prefer the less busy looking mechs that appear more funtional. I did see a Three A Toy called the Ma.K Krote that had kind of what i was going for by Ashley Wood. Take a gander and maybe you can find something for me. Like I said i have done some searching but I really have no idea what to look for.

OH cool monger.... I had no idea that there was such a vast array of options out there. I really am ignorrant on the subject.... How much would a premade cost??? I am not a big modeler so not sure what kind of an undertaking it would be. lol. I have seen gundam options before but they really didn't do much for me. I am looking for as you said a more industrial look but not quite looking for the Japaneese Gundam & Koto look. I prefer the less busy looking mechs that appear more funtional. I did see a Three A Toy called the Ma.K Krote that had kind of what i was going for by Ashley Wood. Take a gander and maybe you can find something for me. Like I said i have done some searching but I really have no idea what to look for.

I have no idea how the market for prebuilt model kits would work, but I imagine there are better ways to spend the money since half of the appeal to kits is making it.

So you want something even more industrial than Armored Core? That might be a harder one to go for. My knowledge is mostly in Japanese super robots and real robots, neither of which tend to be more realistic or industrial. Lots of flair, bright colors, illogical shapes, and what not. That's the Japanese style. If you're interested in a 3A robot don't preorder them just look for the Krote thing once it is on the aftermarket or something. They are too unreliable. They made some Real Steel figures, but I am assuming you aren't interested in something like that.

While Armored Core units tend to be very busy, they are definitely more realistic or at the very least gritty. It depends which one you look into as some are painted in bright colors. There's a decent amount of lore to Armored Core that helps make their mechs more appealing.

Here's a personal favorite Armored Core unit of mine. He's called the White Glint.

TOY-RBT-1377.jpg

If this is still a bit too flashy/busy then your options are a lot more narrow than I originally thought :lol

3A is too unreliable? I really don't know much about them.... just noticed that particular mech and thought it was neat. Had many of the elements that I am looking for in a mech. Don't know if you remember mech warriors but those were kind of what I had always invisioned. Tank tread mechs, inverted joint walkers and stuff painted up for the battle field... mainly ground based. I thought there would be more of a market for that kind mech.

Although that white giant is sweet, It wasn't necessarily what I had envisioned a battlefield mech looking like no offense. So now I wonder where I start. My google searches really don't turn up much but I may be looking in all the wrong places.

Nah I understand what you mean. You're looking more for a practical war machine type thing; kind of like a tank in principal but robotic instead. Those are definitely a more Western styled thing so unfortunately I am not much help there :(

I think I should start a new business. Premium pre assembled custom war mechs. I'll be rich!:idea:rock

I think I should start a new business. Premium pre assembled custom war mechs. I'll be rich!:idea:rock

I'll be your first customer :lol

Did you hear about those two online realistic mech games that came out? Mechwarrior Online and Hawken both on PC. They seem really interesting.

I'll be your first customer :lol

Did you hear about those two online realistic mech games that came out? Mechwarrior Online and Hawken both on PC. They seem really interesting.

I have not but when I get home from work I will def check them out.... have you? Darn internet blockers.

Last edited:
I have not but when I get home from work I will def check them out.... have you? Darn internet blockers.

I have watched videos for them and they look really interesting, but I haven't tried them yet. The open beta for Hawken came out a week ago so I'll check it out soon.

What makes them cool is it is a first person mech game from the eyes of the pilots so you very much have this slow, strategic, operator position unlike a lot of mech games that make you feel more like you are playing as the mech. The idea is really cool to me. Because of this the gameplay is a lot more slow, but seems to be a lot more strategic. They are team deathmatch games. You can overheat and all sorts of things. Sounds really memorable.

I am down with 1 person games like that. Cockpit view is great. My old mech warrior games had both 1st and 3rd person view but you couldn't compete with those who were playing in 3rd person because you could see more of the battle field. So you basically had to play 3rd just to compete which sucks cuz i enjoy cockpit views. If these games you speak of allow only for a cockpit view that would be sweet. No cheaters!

Yeah it is cockpit view only. The focus seems to be an immersible experience where you really feel like you are piloting something. Sounds very cool.

I know Im late to this, but what you guys are talking about boils down to Real Robots and Super Robots. Real robots are based on the fact that they are war machines and can be damaged and destroyed. There not the star of the show or a hero of any sort. There just a machine. Gundam, Votoms, Chrome Hound, Steel Battalion, Front Mission.

Then on the other hand you have Super Robots which are basically your run of the mill "cool" super hero type robot. Voltron, GaoGaiGar, Daigaurd, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo. There the reason why you read or watch that show/manga. The robot usually never gets blown up or destroyed and only comes back stronger and usually has some sort of power move or finisher type signature move.

Just happen to be cruising the boards and noticed this thread. I too know alot about mecha.

Also just look for SASF/Ma.K models. Tons of it out there. Also on the smaller scale look into a game called DUST. Really industrial tank like walkers all based on WWII.

Other games that might be worth looking into.

Front Mission has the Wanzers. Really cool blocked out military style mecha. Also its old but Steel Battalion was an in cockpit type game were you pilot VTs (Vertical Tanks). They made a more recent game for xbox that didnt do so hot here in the US. The Mecha genre is easily more popular in Japan.

Last edited:
Back