Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It actually doesn't look that bad in-hand with the exception of the leaning, wonky "S", and horrible cape. I'm just so tired of dealing with Sideshow's return/replacement department. The good statues I've had lately were Green Poison Ivy, CotD Queen, and White Black Widow. The bad were Alien Big Chap LSB, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, and this CR Superman. That's over 50% of the statues I've received that have arrived with big QC issues.

I think the fraying on the cape is a result of the glue used on the hem and stitching giving way.

Well said and I must agree...this is not the PF statue I signed on for when I started collecting almost 10 years ago... I want a solid well made item.. if they start making PVC statues.. I can just get all HT 1/4 scale figures and have the best of both worlds... There really is no excuse.. I love my Keaton Bats PF EX and that one hit it out of the park....I was really looking forward to this one.....

Thanks Adam :) certainly is strange as to why Sideshow can nail a piece such as the Keaton Batman or the Saruman PF from LOTR and yet go so wrong with others such as the Reeve and Cavill Supes :dunno My Reeve PF is definately going back though :(

Well Andy I am sorry to hear that you don't love it, but I am not sorry to hear that you are sending SSC the message by sending him back. I honestly love SSC, and probably 90% of what they do, but when they do bad they need to be called on it, and the only way that matters is with a monetary show of your displeasure

No worries Shaun :) I think every collector who has this piece coming in will know pretty much after setting him up on its base whether they want to keep him or not. It certainly struck me as soon as i opened up the box and saw that the actual statue wasnt even protected in any wrapping whatsoever! :horror that was a first for me upon unpacking a statue from any company and instantly sent me a message that Sideshow were once again cutting corners. What was also strange was that there was no ES number on the shipper or the art box :horror nor was there a Sideshow logo on the styrofoam! :dunno its all very strange i must say.

ebb48dce44720882bc66ddc83083684d.jpg

With this photo I can finally see what SSC was going for.. I think....

It is meant to be displayed up on a higher shelf... Probably why the base and piece are so tall.. The pose makes sense more when looking up at it. Problem is... It does not look as strong from any other angle... IMO anyways.

Or maybe it was just a great picture :)

You make a great point and one which i forgot to mention as i also thought the same thing. I noticed that when taking the pics or even just looking at the piece on display, i felt more at ease with the pose when displaying the piece high up as opposed to having it at eye level. Still not a valid reason to keep hold of a statue but i agree that it does make a better difference when being viewed from a higher point of view

It is indeed :( from head to toe to base...all plastic.

I find this quite curious. I have 2 separate emails from SS customer service confirming that only the head and hands are PVC, and the rest (aside from the water, of course) is polystone.

Nevertheless, I will withhold judgement until I have him in hand this week. Matt and Andy's pics are great and have dampened some of my initial concern.

I find this quite curious. I have 2 separate emails from SS customer service confirming that only the head and hands are PVC, and the rest (aside from the water, of course) is polystone.

Nevertheless, I will withhold judgement until I have him in hand this week. Matt and Andy's pics are great and have dampened some of my initial concern.

Appreciate the kind words Sammy :) as far as i'm concerned this piece is totally PVC :( i was aware of all the negativity regarding parts of this piece being PVC and so i still kept an open mind. However, the whole piece is sadly all plastic. No weight to it whatsoever (which isnt always a massive issue for me as i have a few statues in my collection - Avengers Hulk Maquette and the Rhino Comiquette to name but a few, which are extremely light compared to statues of old in that particular scale...but on this occasion, it wasnt just the PVC part that i had a problem with. It was a lack of attention to detail on a piece that really had so much potential and instead we recieved a S Symbol with no straight edges, frills hanging off a very mediocre cape, a terrible likeness to Christopher Reeve after initial WIP pics seemed to look very promising, a base which can fall apart with the slightest touch and finally a hole in the base which doesnt even line up correctly when inserting the statue peg, causing the body to lean dramatically :(

I'm certainly interested to hear more feedback from those who will be getting their PF's this week to see what they think. So far, i think quite a few owners have already decided to return theirs and it looks like the Cavill MOS Superman PF saga all over again :(

given the change in material, I would suggest requesting SS pay for the shipping costs for anyone thinking of returning him.

Okay I'm just going to come out and say this. Everyone who ordered this knew what they were getting into. This was probably the most flamed piece Sideshow has ever done. Honestly if you ordered it, you were probably hopeful it would be one of those things where pics just don't do it justice, it's just not photogenic. Well now you have it, and you're either happy, haven't heard that one very much, or disappointed, that's the general consensus. So you can either take the $470 hit or whatever it was knowing this might happen when you ordered or you can send it back. And I'd be lying if I wasn't curious how many are sending theirs back....maybe we should start a poll, only people who bought him can participate. You either Keep, or send back. What do you guys think?

The statue looks good in-hand to me but I was fine with the proto pics. What I'm not fine with is the broken leg, sloppy "S", cheap cape, and rickity base. If I thought I could get a decent replacement body I'd be happy having this statue in my collection. A poll would just be an excuse for people to blast the statue, whether they had it or not.

The statue looks good in-hand to me but I was fine with the proto pics. What I'm not fine with is the broken leg, sloppy "S", cheap cape, and rickity base. If I thought I could get a decent replacement body I'd be happy having this statue in my collection. A poll would just be an excuse for people to blast the statue, whether they had it or not.

You're probably, right, if I had a way to lock out people who didn't buy it I'd do a poll, unfortunately I don't.

Will the lean likely get worse over time?

I recall buying the 12-inch Super Girl statue a few years ago and the lean progressively got worse over time (on the peg in her foot/leg).

The pose was Super Girl flying upwards based on Adam Hughes's art.

Probably the most annoying thing about this piece is that it's had such a weird journey from proto to production piece. The decisions they've made have just been bizarre. Plus, the quality and the condition in which is arrived make me wonder if they used a different factory or something. The edition number wasn't on my shipper or the main box. The box inside the shipper didn't have the normal plastic bag. The styrofoam didn't have a SS stamp or sticker on it. The statue wasn't wrapped inside the styrofoam. When I opened the box it felt like it was from a different company completely.

I'm sure they use a lot of factories but the ****** ones need to get dropped. I wonder how much SS pays each year for shipping on returns and replacement pieces.

Probably the most annoying thing about this piece is that it's had such a weird journey from proto to production piece. The decisions they've made have just been bizarre. Plus, the quality and the condition in which is arrived make me wonder if they used a different factory or something. The edition number wasn't on my shipper or the main box. The box inside the shipper didn't have the normal plastic bag. The styrofoam didn't have a SS stamp or sticker on it. The statue wasn't wrapped inside the styrofoam. When I opened the box it felt like it was from a different company completely.

Listening to you describing this is full deja vu from what happened to us on the Man of Steel PF. Same lack of number, same degree (or lack thereof) of shipping protection. There seems to be a PVC factory that's tooled up to use these materials and someone (presumably at SSC) has deemed that the plastic statues don't need protection. I guess you wouldn't need a lot of bubble wrap if you're shipping a feather....

Just got mine today!! I think the head sculpt is fairly good. The costume I feel is pretty nice too. I was worried about the S shield and the stitching but that doesnt seem to bother me at all. The one thing that I find completely unacceptable is the cape. It's funny cuz that was the one thing that from any prototype pics or SDCC pics that was never an issue. The stitching at the bottom of the cape is the worst thing and I am shocked that this was deemed acceptable. Even if I cut off the hanging strings the white on the edge looks pretty bad too. Its odd because the stitching and hemming on the side of the cape is great! What happenned?! Is everybody's cape this bad? It's quite difficult to ignore.Superman Cape.jpg

Back