Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they do.. I work in a similar industry, and they don't want to tell customers anything about production issues in fear it will impact sales.. they play the clueless game, but have all the knowledge and I'm sure have seen the final production product.

Yeah I'm sure Customer Service reps know everything from the factory up :rolleyes2

I'll be careful with the new code of conduct in place so I'll try and pick my words cautiously.
I'm really pleased I cancelled this. I don't think it as bad as some make out but it still isn't a great piece. This was a lot of money and for me a bit of a disappointment. Reeve was the Superman for many of us and he deserved sometching special. The sculpt looks a little like him but I actually think the Mos sculpt looks more like Cavill than this looks like Reeve. Reeve had such warmth as Superman, his smile lit up his face and made you believe he was as goodhearted as the character is supposed to be. The sculpt (or art direction...I don't think it's the sculptors fault) doesn't convey this. He looks to passive or even stern.
Yet surprisingly the sculpt or paint apps aren't what turns me away from wanting this. The issues with the suit and cape,the base, the continued use of pvc and visible seams. For over £300 these things shouldn't be getting through. I really l, really wanted to love this. There was part of me hoping I'd be gutted about cancelling this but seeing it in hand is now doing nothing for me. I really do hope those who have this feel the same way they did upon reveal but I also hope that people don't just accept the faults and let it slide. I'm not knocking sideshow or its staff...I love the comic Supes and was even.pleased with Mos (I know everybody else hates it)...I just really feel that this was a missed opportunity.

I'll be careful with the new code of conduct in place so I'll try and pick my words cautiously.
I'm really pleased I cancelled this. I don't think it as bad as some make out but it still isn't a great piece. This was a lot of money and for me a bit of a disappointment. Reeve was the Superman for many of us and he deserved sometching special. The sculpt looks a little like him but I actually think the Mos sculpt looks more like Cavill than this looks like Reeve. Reeve had such warmth as Superman, his smile lit up his face and made you believe he was as goodhearted as the character is supposed to be. The sculpt (or art direction...I don't think it's the sculptors fault) doesn't convey this. He looks to passive or even stern.
Yet surprisingly the sculpt or paint apps aren't what turns me away from wanting this. The issues with the suit and cape,the base, the continued use of pvc and visible seams. For over £300 these things shouldn't be getting through. I really l, really wanted to love this. There was part of me hoping I'd be gutted about cancelling this but seeing it in hand is now doing nothing for me. I really do hope those who have this feel the same way they did upon reveal but I also hope that people don't just accept the faults and let it slide. I'm not knocking sideshow or its staff...I love the comic Supes and was even.pleased with Mos (I know everybody else hates it)...I just really feel that this was a missed opportunity.

Well put.
The reason for the longest time no one can compare to Christopher reeve as superman is because he embodied all the ideals of the comic book superman.
He has this kind hearted, good guy, someone pleasant person. But yet, he has a presence that is someone you do not want to cross with.
He is a big guy that exudes power.
This sculpt is a barely passing resemblance to Chris. And it almost look like like they went for the older, sick Chris.
I honestly can't understand how something like this can sometimes end up in production.
It's like they don't have a creative director. Its not being picky, but any good creative director can see that and say, it needs more tweaking.
It's like, one shot and let's go to production.

Btw, I also think the torch is passed and cavill embodies the same spirit as superman.

I know this may be a silly question but when you look at pieces like Comic Superman and how the skin tone and all were great and overall presentation was beyond expectations how one can go from that level of QC to this? This was such an important piece to convey Reeve as he should have been. I like many others don't understand what happened here.

Agreed... I said the same thing earlier about the lack of humanity in the sculpt.

the Head sculpt while decent is very lifeless looking... There is no humanity in the sculpt and Christopher Reeve as Superman was full of humanity. You can tell that this was based off a life cast.. You have to be very still and show no emotion while they do that process.. This appears emotionless and almost brainwashed looking.

It's unfortunate... It's what really separated Reeve from the rest.

Well one of the problems I always thought this piece had was the artist working off the image of the mask made of Reeve. Just presents all sort of distortions ( oddly you would think it would be spot on) but they are called death masks for a reason. Face is lifeless, pose is odd, the entire thing just does not come together. I will always be baffled that this got through, and lament they didn't bring something else to market. Would have loved a CR PF, just not this one.

I decided long ago, for many reasons this was not for me, even though Christopher Reeve IS my SUPERMAN. I sincerely hope most of those who ordered this will be happy with their purchase. I realize just because it is not for me, others may have a different opinion. I hope to someday add a Reeve figure to my collection that I can be happy with - (actually I'm pretty happy with the 1/6 Hot Toys figure, I guess I mean a more premium figure.)

The base doesn't even look stable enough to display for a long period of time. I'd be worried about it falling off a high shelf.

Given the Code of Conduct I am refraining from posting my opinion of this piece, but it is less than positive.

I have got to say Spidey, it's a terrible code if we can't talk openly about this hobby. I mean, what other point does this forum serve? It just becomes a secondary advertising outlet.

And I LOVE Sideshow! I like most (greater than 90%) of what they do. They make great products that non-collectors are in awe of when they see them usually.

I certainly hope people are happy with this if they get it. But, man, the one good photo, once I enlarged it on my phone, that frayed cape...unacceptable.

Pieces that turn out this poorly (IMO), can really hurt the overall brand.

This is one that has not enjoyed much support from first reveal onward, and those that stuck it out don't seem to be rewarded with the quality they deserved.

I just hope that for those who loved this from conception on, much like the Man of Steel PF, they at least get something they can enjoy.

It does worry me in regards to other pieces though. (New movie Cap/Thor being prime examples).

I have got to say Spidey, it's a terrible code if we can't talk openly about this hobby. I mean, what other point does this forum serve? It just becomes a secondary advertising outlet.

And I LOVE Sideshow! I like most (greater than 90%) of what they do. They make great products that non-collectors are in awe of when they see them usually.

I certainly hope people are happy with this if they get it. But, man, the one good photo, once I enlarged it on my phone, that frayed cape...unacceptable.

Pieces that turn out this poorly (IMO), can really hurt the overall brand.

This is one that has not enjoyed much support from first reveal onward, and those that stuck it out don't seem to be rewarded with the quality they deserved.

I just hope that for those who loved this from conception on, much like the Man of Steel PF, they at least get something they can enjoy.

It does worry me in regards to other pieces though. (New movie Cap/Thor being prime examples).

Thing that makes me scratch my head is how can the DC pieces and some Marvel (for the most part turn out so amazing?) What process was followed for say Allied Cap, Comic Joker, Comic Superman or Comic Bats and even dare I say it Keaton Bats?

The CoC doesn't prohibit anyone from openly critiquing any collectible as long as one is doing so in a constructive manner.

Calling something "garbage", "trash" or "crap" isn't being constructive.

The CoC doesn't prohibit anyone from openly critiquing any collectible as long as one is doing so in a constructive manner.

Calling something "garbage", "trash" or "crap" isn't being constructive.

Spidey said it, and it's been repeated often, people are afraid to say anything. I don't know what's going on, or why the sudden need to be so by the book. We don't work for nor sit on a Sideshow focus group. Why does 'all' criticism (if you want to label an opinion as such) have to be constructive? Constructive for whom? Are our comments going to be used for market research? For that matter, they rarely seek fan input anyway. Certainly if they had, this piece would have undergone some changes prior to production from the vast amounts of constructive criticism it enjoyed at the early stages.

Spidey said it, and it's been repeated often, people are afraid to say anything.

Why Freaks are afraid is beyond me. Freaks can still give their opinions as long as they're being constructive and respectful.

I don't know what's going on, or why the sudden need to be so by the book. We don't work for nor sit on a Sideshow focus group. Why does 'all' criticism (if you want to label an opinion as such) have to be constructive? Constructive for whom? Are our comments going to be used for market research? For that matter, they rarely seek fan input anyway. Certainly if they had, this piece would have undergone some changes prior to production from the vast amounts of constructive criticism it enjoyed at the early stages.

Again it's about showing respect.

Spidey said it, and it's been repeated often, people are afraid to say anything. I don't know what's going on, or why the sudden need to be so by the book. We don't work for nor sit on a Sideshow focus group. Why does 'all' criticism (if you want to label an opinion as such) have to be constructive? Constructive for whom? Are our comments going to be used for market research? For that matter, they rarely seek fan input anyway. Certainly if they had, this piece would have undergone some changes prior to production from the vast amounts of constructive criticism it enjoyed at the early stages.

Well, Tbolt. I think there is a way to say things and there is a "way" some are saying things that really don't contribute to the forums or the particular topic at hand. I'm not afraid and I really don't think Spidey is either. He, for the most part has always tried to stay on topic and contribute. I think that the mods are speaking mainly of those people who want to pop in an bash a piece for no other reason than to piss other collectors off or make themselves feel better. I aslo think the mods are not out to muzzle out opinions. Just help in guiding us to elaborate a bit in our expressions and opinions. Thats the only reason these guidelines are in place. I really don't think its that difficult to abide by personally.

Respect to whom exactly?

Genuine question.

It's in the CoC.

Respect the Product Creators

We encourage professionals from the collectibles industry to interact with members and provide information and solicit feedback from their fans. When posting remember that someone worked very hard to bring that collectible to life and be respectful of that hard work. Criticism should always be constructive and generalizations such as calling items "crap" or similar terms will be deleted. Persisting in this behavior will result in infractions and/or banning.

Perhaps as a 'respect' to the members this new CoC could have come into force before all the premium memberships payments for the year were taken.

Not stirring, honest observation.

Judging by that clause you quoted, why exactly was I infracted for one comment then? Surely it should have been deleted and I only infracted if I persisted?

Who mods the mods? Dave?

?

Well, Tbolt. I think there is a way to say things and there is a "way" some are saying things that really don't contribute to the forums or the particular topic at hand. I'm not afraid and I really don't think Spidey is either. He, for the most part has always tried to stay on topic and contribute. I think that the mods are speaking mainly of those people who want to pop in an bash a piece for no other reason than to piss other collectors off or make themselves feel better. I aslo think the mods are not out to muzzle out opinions. Just help in guiding us to elaborate a bit in our expressions and opinions. Thats the only reason these guidelines are in place. I really don't think its that difficult to abide by personally.

Exactly. Good post, KingB.

Back