Chewbacca?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bent my Wookie.

129152447_2fcb2fe1e1.jpg

Dude, that is beyond funny! :rotfl

just tossing this out thre. It'll likely be a bodysuit, with the fur on the suit to keep the fur out of the joints.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that chewie will be the christmas suprise.

Body-suit sounds perfectly logical and relatively simple. As stated before, the head and hands are the toughest bit.

That's gonna be a tight fit if it's going to look any good. And I thought getting those Predator net-suits on was a pain...

That's gonna be a tight fit if it's going to look any good. And I thought getting those Predator net-suits on was a pain...

You wouldn't be putting Chewie together though. You didn't have to be General Kenobi together and he was HT/SS.

It's so weird, Sideshow has the problem with figures when they require new body types/parts or have weird components. But Hot Toys is shooting out stuff like Davy Jones, Batman, Iron Man, and now the POTA figures. I wonder if the advantage of being in China already helps Hot Toys that much so they can make big product changes that easily

Personally I would prefer a Chewie PF, even if the fur is sculpted. But a 12" figure if done right and with real hair might be too good to pass up.

ugh. i can see our cats now... thinking Chewie is their new scratch post.

It's so weird, Sideshow has the problem with figures when they require new body types/parts or have weird components. But Hot Toys is shooting out stuff like Davy Jones, Batman, Iron Man, and now the POTA figures. I wonder if the advantage of being in China already helps Hot Toys that much so they can make big product changes that easily

Well, Hot Toys is all about figurines, the 1/6 products are the meat of their business, so it's in their best interest to devote great resources into their craft.

Sideshow does a little of everything, with 1/6, and really only Star Wars, only making up probably 1/3 of their yearly product offering, so as much as they put into 1/6, I'm sure they could put more but just don't because it's not what they're all about. And now with their relationship with HT, they can expand their offering by tapping into HT resources.

In a way, the situation would be like Hot Toys consulting Sideshow about statues. They're both great, but have strengths that each can gain from.

I really think what SS is doing is grabbing up world wide licenses when available, doing the polystone stuff, replicas and having HT do the more complex stuff. I think when/if we get non human figures it will be from HT, humans will still come through Sideshow.

Umm.. no it wouldn't. Go back and look at the production still of mayhew in the suit., if anything, inorder to look realistic, it would need to be baggy.

bdd_Chewbacca.jpg

Episode_4_Han_Solo_and_Chewbacca_1.jpg
chewbacca.jpg

chewbacca.jpg
2005_10_chewbacca.jpg
chewbaccae.jpg

ok, so not extremely baggy, but still, a tight-fitting bodysuit would look awful.

Think abut it in these terms. if you have an animal with lots of fur, the skin is usualy kiinda baggy, ad kind.. slides a little on their frame. Mayhew was not in a skintight suit covered in fur, it also was designed to be a little baggy, so the fur would look beleiveable.

From the latest Q&A:
I’m still waiting for you guys to do a Chewie, which I am sure you will, and I’m sure you will do a great job on him. I’m just curious if you will make several different versions of Chewie or if you will just do one with all the different accessories, such as his welding goggles and torch, bowcaster, weird Episode 3 weapon, hydrospanner, Breathing Mask w/ filter and C-3PO in pieces for him to carry on his back? Either way, keep up the great work and thanks for all the cool stuff you have done so far, especially “The Dead” line!

Thanks for the kind words and for the enthusiasm about Chewbacca. He’s still far, far from a reality - so we’ll simply say that we share your enthusiasm for all of Chewy’s wonderful toys and hope that he can one day join the ranks.

:monkey2

Please post your thoughts whether you want Hot Toys to design Chewie instead of waiting an indefinite amount of years for Sideshow to figure him out.

Last edited:
I got tired of waiting and bought the Hasbro episode three one... hey it was like seven bucks on the 'bay, how could I NOT? lol

stupid thing has almost NO articulation.... get off your butts sideshow, I want my wookie!

I have no doubt that Hot Toys could knock out an awesome 1:6 Chewbacca right now, yet it will apparently take Sideshow a few more years to do it. This tells us 2 things...

1) They weren't really ready for this 1:6 license in 2006. Heck, they still can't churn out some obvious core characters now... 3+ years later.

2) They're nowhere near the level of Hot Toys when it comes to engineering and producing highly-detailed 1:6 products on a consistent basis.

I'm hoping the fine folks at SSC do the right thing and become resigned to these facts and indeed reach out to HT to get it done.

A chewie would be awesome. I wonder what goes to Sideshow management when it comes to designs for new figures and what makes it into production. I am quessing they are working on a prototype chewie but they are running into some difficulties with the body.

On a side note, how much are you willing to pay? I would say if this figure makes it to production its going to be around $150.

I'm willing to wait for Chewie. It's very sad to read that Sideshow is far (far) from making him, but I think there are still plenty of figures that don't need the R&D Chewie does left to release in the mean time. I'm sure the fur suit is a PITA to figure out and produce, but with Hot Toys now producing the POTA figures, maybe Sideshow can learn a few things from them. Or just partner with HT to produce Chewie, like a lot of you guys are suggesting. But I'm fine with waiting a while til they figure it all out.

Back