Black Widow (July 9, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rule # 1 of any negotiation start really HIGH or Start really TOUGH then relax your stance as negotiations move forward.

I guess people didn’t read any of Trump’s books on business it is his core method of operation.
I did read one of his books many many years ago, my only takeaway was to use other people's money so that you never ever lose yours. :lol

Which fits what I know of him now, which is pretty much a grifter.

All of this talk of $1 billion is based on the box office environment before the pandemic, of course. Had that never happened, Widow would've likely made that much, or at least, had been close. And it would've had a release in China, just like all of the other MCU films before it.
To make it simple, they should look at the current gross (including the Disney+ premier access numbers) and bump it up by a certain percentage. Unfortunately, nothing regarding lawsuits, especially between the rich and the even richer, is ever simple.

All of this talk of $1 billion is based on the box office environment before the pandemic, of course. Had that never happened, Widow would've likely made that much, or at least, had been close. And it would've had a release in China, just like all of the other MCU films before it.
To make it simple, they should look at the current gross (including the Disney+ premier access numbers) and bump it up by a certain percentage. Unfortunately, nothing regarding lawsuits, especially between the rich and the even richer, is ever simple.
Not sure if they would have released in China. It is more comments towards China related than Covid related. Of course all of this would have released a year earlier, so people didn't have time to make those comments. We'll never know.

She got money out of it that's for sure. Word gets around that town and soon enough we will know a number. Probably another $20 mil.
Yeah was worth it in the end, she was done with Disney so may as well milk the cow

Just finished this. I thought it was decent - pretty much on par with Spiderman FFH in the post-Endgame output. Beats all the Disney+ shows for me.

So Spiderman FFH/Black Widow
WandaVision
Loki
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Way late to the party here but I finally watched (IMAX Enhanced, woohoo) Black Widow last night and I echo the sentiments above. I kind of had the impression that this film was universally panned but ended up being pleasantly surprised.

No it isn't great by any means but I found it enjoyable, mostly due to the likability of the main cast and their chemistry together. I also really liked the spectacle of the prison break and falling satellite sequences and ScarJo and Flo both looked great in their cool white suits.

I had totally forgotten about BW's face disguising mask that she wore in TWS so it was fun to see that make a return.

The plot borrowed heavily from other MCU entries (most notably TWS with her having to take down the corrupt Widow program just like Cap had to take down corrupt SHIELD, complete with collapsing helicarrier/satellite station at the end) but I suppose that's no big surprise.

I admit it was pretty eye rolling that *every single* government trained assassin in the Widow program was deep down innocent and good but was just mind controlled. Ugh, come on now. That gave it a bit of a Captain Marvel/Mulan/women-are-oppressed-by-the-Patriarchy vibe but I'm either getting numb to this crap or it just wasn't offensive enough to ruin the film. Either way it was still noticeable and a strike against the movie simply because it would have been fun to see her have to fight more Widows to the death (or any to the death for that matter.)

But at least she *did* fight them unlike the unfulfilled tease of Cap and Bucky fighting a squad of unfrozen Winter Soldiers in CW.

I enjoyed the Taskmaster scenes, they were fun in a Terminator-esque kind of way and certainly more fun than any actual Terminator movie since 1991, lol.

Since the gender of TM had been spoiled for me (not complaining, it's no surprise since I waited this long to watch it) I was very worried that she'd turn out to be BW's biological mother, lol. Thank GOD she wasn't and maybe just because I was expecting the worst the actual reveal turned out to be kind of cool IMO.

This film does suffer from the same "pointlessness" with regard to it's place in the Infinity Saga as BP and CM. Just a harmless one-off with some good and bad but that otherwise doesn't really elevate or diminish the main narrative, which I suppose is a win. I mean damn it's unreal how many freaking movies Marvel can crank out that are at *worst* harmless fun. This movie did feel uniquely set apart from the main MCU since unless I'm mistaken it's the first stand-alone film that didn't feature a single cameo from anyone in the main MCU. I feel like if this had come out in 2017 (which it obviously should have) then we would have seen Cap and Falcon swooping down in a Quinjet to scoop her out of the satellite wreckage before Ross could get her thus setting up their team for IW, but because Evans made his dramatic curtain call in EG no way was he gonna come back for this, lol.

Florence was super cute in this despite her chubby baby face not at all making her look like a career assassin and acrobat, lol. Still though I'm totally on board for her filling Natasha's spot in the MCU going forward.

Way late to the party here but I finally watched (IMAX Enhanced, woohoo) Black Widow last night and I echo the sentiments above. I kind of had the impression that this film was universally panned but ended up being pleasantly surprised.

No it isn't great by any means but I found it enjoyable, mostly due to the likability of the main cast and their chemistry together. I also really liked the spectacle of the prison break and falling satellite sequences and ScarJo and Flo both looked great in their cool white suits.

I had totally forgotten about BW's face disguising mask that she wore in TWS so it was fun to see that make a return.

The plot borrowed heavily from other MCU entries (most notably TWS with her having to take down the corrupt Widow program just like Cap had to take down corrupt SHIELD, complete with collapsing helicarrier/satellite station at the end) but I suppose that's no big surprise.

I admit it was pretty eye rolling that *every single* government trained assassin in the Widow program was deep down innocent and good but was just mind controlled. Ugh, come on now. That gave it a bit of a Captain Marvel/Mulan/women-are-oppressed-by-the-Patriarchy vibe but I'm either getting numb to this crap or it just wasn't offensive enough to ruin the film. Either way it was still noticeable and a strike against the movie simply because it would have been fun to see her have to fight more Widows to the death (or any to the death for that matter.)

But at least she *did* fight them unlike the unfulfilled tease of Cap and Bucky fighting a squad of unfrozen Winter Soldiers in CW.

I enjoyed the Taskmaster scenes, they were fun in a Terminator-esque kind of way and certainly more fun than any actual Terminator movie since 1991, lol.

Since the gender of TM had been spoiled for me (not complaining, it's no surprise since I waited this long to watch it) I was very worried that she'd turn out to be BW's biological mother, lol. Thank GOD she wasn't and maybe just because I was expecting the worst the actual reveal turned out to be kind of cool IMO.

This film does suffer from the same "pointlessness" with regard to it's place in the Infinity Saga as BP and CM. Just a harmless one-off with some good and bad but that otherwise doesn't really elevate or diminish the main narrative, which I suppose is a win. I mean damn it's unreal how many freaking movies Marvel can crank out that are at *worst* harmless fun. This movie did feel uniquely set apart from the main MCU since unless I'm mistaken it's the first stand-alone film that didn't feature a single cameo from anyone in the main MCU. I feel like if this had come out in 2017 (which it obviously should have) then we would have seen Cap and Falcon swooping down in a Quinjet to scoop her out of the satellite wreckage before Ross could get her thus setting up their team for IW, but because Evans made his dramatic curtain call in EG no way was he gonna come back for this, lol.

Florence was super cute in this despite her chubby baby face not at all making her look like a career assassin and acrobat, lol. Still though I'm totally on board for her filling Natasha's spot in the MCU going forward.
It was an alright movie. Florence made the movie for me. What are these terminator movies you speak of though? I only recall 2. I'm sure if there were anymore A-Dev would have spilled the beans.

https://comicbookmovie.com/black_wi...sney-premier-access-release-a190724#gs.ksnx60
Driving home this fact is new information shared by Deadline. The trade explains that Johansson likely settled her lawsuit with Disney for upwards of $40 million with much of that lost money coming from pirated copies of Black Widow hitting streaming and torrent websites within minutes of its Disney+ debut.
Sources tell them that the Marvel Studios blockbuster was pirated more than 20 million times, leading to an estimated loss of $600 million in Disney+ PVOD ($29.99) revenue alone. That's an insane amount, and explains why the studio has since moved away from Premier Access.

https://comicbookmovie.com/black_wi...sney-premier-access-release-a190724#gs.ksnx60
Driving home this fact is new information shared by Deadline. The trade explains that Johansson likely settled her lawsuit with Disney for upwards of $40 million with much of that lost money coming from pirated copies of Black Widow hitting streaming and torrent websites within minutes of its Disney+ debut.
Sources tell them that the Marvel Studios blockbuster was pirated more than 20 million times, leading to an estimated loss of $600 million in Disney+ PVOD ($29.99) revenue alone. That's an insane amount, and explains why the studio has since moved away from Premier Access.
The thing is, I don't think people will line up in the theaters to see her movie since people were more wary of COVID back then. I also don't think it would push more people to sign up for D+, let alone pay the the premiere access. I'm not a big Spiderman fan but I risked seeing it in a theater because the trailers and premise of the story seemed far more interesting than whatever was shown in Black Widow.

I'm thinking, can you convince somebody who has been pirating as their primary means to obtain content to spend money and watch something in the theater or sign up in a legit subscription service? Probably not.

The thing is, I don't think people will line up in the theaters to see her movie since people were more wary of COVID back then. I also don't think it would push more people to sign up for D+, let alone pay the the premiere access. I'm not a big Spiderman fan but I risked seeing it in a theater because the trailers and premise of the story seemed far more interesting than whatever was shown in Black Widow.

I'm thinking, can you convince somebody who has been pirating as their primary means to obtain content to spend money and watch something in the theater or sign up in a legit subscription service? Probably not.
I agree, I wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see BW regardless of whether I could pirate it or not. They definitely lost money due to piracy, but you need to figure out a reasonable error rate for those 20 million pirates. I'd say maybe a quarter of that might have gone to the cinema.
I do think it would have made more money than Eternals and Shang-Chi if it wasn't for the Disney Plus release.

Well I agree that keeping it at theaters is a protective measure against pirating. But also if the supply is there aka hd rip of the movie, there will be more people enticed to see it. Still odd to see how a producer could have a hold over a studio like that. For instance, couldn't Snyder sue WB for taking the reins of creative control from him? Couldn't he argue that in doing so hurt the sales of Justice League in theaters and thus money as a producer out of his pocket? Doesn't Disney have final say over how it is released? Guess it is all in the lawyer language and/or to settle a big dispute with a big name to keep your reputation.

Well I agree that keeping it at theaters is a protective measure against pirating. But also if the supply is there aka hd rip of the movie, there will be more people enticed to see it. Still odd to see how a producer could have a hold over a studio like that. For instance, couldn't Snyder sue WB for taking the reins of creative control from him? Couldn't he argue that in doing so hurt the sales of Justice League in theaters and thus money as a producer out of his pocket? Doesn't Disney have final say over how it is released? Guess it is all in the lawyer language and/or to settle a big dispute with a big name to keep your reputation.
Hopefully Zack got a decent take from the JL Synder Cut. It's a shame that never got a cinema release.

Back