Baroness Premium Format [High Res Pics in First Post]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So..... an edition size of 1500 was announced.
It sold out, but there wasn't 1500 made.

So now there is a second run to make up the remaining numbers needed to reach 1500 long after the original run sold out.
How can you state an edition size if the pieces were never produced to begin with? Why would it sell out and not be on backorder status?

I've seen this happen with a few statues although most of the time, the pieces in question never go back into production. Since the statues are produced in batches, if the popularity of a piece begins to wane, the run could be ended early to prevent a massive overstock situation. I suppose the companies retain the right to revisit the piece in the future to complete the authorized edition size if they feel there is enough interest. Yamato just did this with a few of their pieces after having them listed as sold out for a couple of years (that is why I stopped collecting Yamato) and I know that Varner had done the same on a number of pieces where they simply were not as popular as they were expected to be (their fairytale line and some of the secondary Buffy characters).

Personally, I don't think they should continue with a line long after it has sold out because, to me, it affects their value to collectors). I have watched the statues come out over the past several years but didn't actually start buying them until last year (Superman PF and Underworld's Selene finally pushed me over the edge). Although I never buy to sell, I do like to have pieces that will be sold out and harder to come buy after 1 or 2 years. To stop an edition before its full run and then continue the run several months (or in the case of Yamato, YEARS) later isn't good for the collector market, in my opinion. If that happened a lot, I think that many of us would hold-off on certain purchases...maybe not many of us but I know that I would.

This statue has proven to be quite popular but I doubt there will be enough interest to continue the production run at this time, but who knows.

I've seen this happen with a few statues although most of the time, the pieces in question never go back into production. Since the statues are produced in batches, if the popularity of a piece begins to wane, the run could be ended early to prevent a massive overstock situation. I suppose the companies retain the right to revisit the piece in the future to complete the authorized edition size if they feel there is enough interest.

Makes sense, they should mention that on the sold out page though so unsuspecting buyers don't spend more on the secondary market.

Back