Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see that the head can be fixed pretty simply! More pics and details will help all us folks out!

Thanks for posting the info Wor-Gar.

Thanks for the info, and good job with the vest. It's looking much better like that.
:)

Waiting for pics. Asap please :))

Thanks guys. And OK, here's the quick and simple how-to:

First, here's a comparison of the socket before and after (and the neck differential):

neck socket before-after COMP 10-4-14.jpg
head height before-after socket fix 10-4-14.jpg

Tutorial:

First, here's what you should see when you pop off the head. Clearly the socket that receives the ball joint is too shallow.

socket fix 1.jpg

So get a pair of needlenose pliers and pull that socket out. I used a kitchen knife to work the edges loose first. Heat the head if you like, it always helps. Just be gentle. But there's no glue so it will just pop out once you loosen it up.

socket fix 2.jpg

Once its out, you can see the deep hole in the head. Plenty of depth there, but perhaps when the head was cast and narrowed, it tightened the hole.

Anyway, you see the nub on top of the socket plug?

socket fix 3.jpg

I cut that part off with an exacto. I also trimmed to corner's off so that I could get it to slide in easier.

socket fix 4.jpgsocket fix 5.jpg

Then I heated the head again -- and shoved that socket inside using the handle part of my needlenose pliers to make it sink in all the way. Here's what it looks like all the way in:

socket fix 6.jpg

And that's it. Depending on your own head, you may not even need to cut that top portion off. It depends how deep you can push the socket inside.

Hope that helps the few that kept their Gandalf. Once the head is better seated on the neck and shoulders, I don't see the "squished" face quite so much anymore. It really is a very, very nice figure.

I don't have a before-after of the final head mod compared to out-of-the-box but I think there's enough pics of that. Here's a couple of the post head mod:

Gandalf 3.jpg
Gandalf 1.jpgGandalf 2.jpg

Hope to have some fully futzed pics up later today of the finished Gandalf....

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Hopefully everyone can use this tip.

Here's my final futzed Gandalf...

Gandalf FINAL COMP.jpg

Gandalf FINAL COMP 2.jpg

I come to you now at the turn of the page...

Gandalf 10.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Sideshow Gandalf which I'm pretty happy with, however I do need the orc head that comes with him. If anyone wants to sell one for around 40 let me know.

Anyone knows how many figures the build an Orc parts will be spread out over?

This is interesting. Hopefully all of the pieces are included in figures I want and I hope they do not then release the entire figure separately for sale after people have to go thru buying different figures to assemble it.

I wouldn't think they would do that, personally, I don't think a body will even be included, I think these parts are just to swap out on a Guritz figure

Wor-Gar, do you have a Guritz figure? If so, could you put the head from Gandalf on his body? I'm curious to see how it looks. Thanks

Thanks Wor-Gar for the pictures, it's clear. Great futzing, can't wait to receive mine and give it a try.
:)

Thank, guys! Appreciate all the kind comments.

Hope the fix helps everyone here -- because this Gandalf really is a sharp little figure with a little work and water treatment.

Last edited:
Yep. Started with wetwash of white and tan (to make cream) but the black lines showed right through as soon as the paint dried so I got heavier with the paint until it stuck. I think simple dryrbushing is probably the best and what I should have done to start. I went the long way.

The material is a very soft suede -- very nice actually but absorbant.

Awesome futzing job, expecially on the cape. You managed to get those beautiful foldings just with water treat? I find the cape material particulary hard to shape even wet...

Back