Are tube acrylic paints perfectly acceptable for painting heads?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're probably going to be shinier than you like on the figure - most artist acrylic paint has some shine to it. But as a workaround, you could use a matte sealer on it like Testors' Dull Coat, and that will help. Generally speaking its probably best to get some of the flat water-based paints like you can find in hobby stores (both online and brick and mortar shops).

Cheers guys. Good point about the shine :) Though I also think painting onto a matt surface is better so gonna grab some Tamiya dull flesh. I might take these back as the Basic range pigment quality isn't as nice as the premium ones, so might just get a set box of premium colours.

You know what's best IMHO? Painting an acrylic flesh base and the rest with oil painting! It allows for a lot of detailing and it takes a lot of time to dry, so you're in no hurry to blend your colors and all!:)

You know what's best IMHO? Painting an acrylic flesh base and the rest with oil painting! It allows for a lot of detailing and it takes a lot of time to dry, so you're in no hurry to blend your colors and all!:)

You know I started doing that a couple years ago but with hobby pot paints/other and am very pleased with the new technique. The acrylic makes for organic flesh and the other paints help give it some context.

Interesting idea with the oil paints. How long do they take to fully dry?

Decided to keep the Basics. They have less pigment than premium paints, though head painting isn't too vibrant. Also they are good for dry brushing. I got some flow enhancer which prolongs the drying and keeps the paint thick even when watered down. Though would be interested if anyone here has used the Basics range and said what they think.

Well, it's diffucult to give an exact time as it depends on the thickness of the layer. Dry to the touch? One or two day! Really dry? One or two weeks. You know for sure when it's not shiny anymore.

Liquitex is one of the best paints out there for 1/6 head painting. The key is to water down the base and use layers for the best looking results.

Chris
scifidioramaguy.com

I use mainly Liquitex acrylics, both hand brushed and airbrushed. Just get some flow medium and some matte medium and you are all set. They work well on both plastic and rtubber.

Back