Aragorn upon Brego: New Photos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found this on the web..
sturing10ol.jpg

I got my aragorn at the black gates converted into an order this morning. I think this looks a great piece. IMO that Stuart Townsend looks too clean and young to be Aragorn. Not wise enough. I also initially read in an empire limited ed magazine that Bernard Hill was initially approached to be Gandalf, however turned it down due to filming in New Zealand however regretted this decision and went for Theoden. Anyone remember Bernard Hill in Corrie, the love rat gardener. Any1 think I watch too much telly?

Cheers
Colin

tomandshell said:
Anybody else remember that Bernard Hill was not originally cast as Theoden?

"Kevin Conway will not be participating in the Trilogy as Theoden due to scheduling demands."

One of the greatest sentences I read during all of pre-production. LINK

I also remember being let down when Mike Deluca confirmed that Ethan Hawke was "out" and no longer being courted to play Faramir. Turns out that wasn't such a bad thing... LINK

Summer of 2000 seems like such a long time ago!!!

Even crazier than that, does anybody else remember when Benecio del Toro was cast as Darth Maul? That would have made that character WAAY different. Benecio left after Lucas cut most of Maul's lines out of the script.

How about Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones? You can see some of his screentest on the DVD. Spielberg and Lucas pursued him before Ford, but Magnum P.I. shooting conflicts caused him to back out.

Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly in Back to the Future (Like Townsend, he was fired after a few days and replaced with MJ Fox)?

Those are just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
How about LEONARDO DiCAPRIO turning down the roles of SPIDER-MAN and ANAKIN SKYWALKER, because they failed to pass his "passion test".... :monkey1

I have heard Connery say in interviews that he turned it down. I'm not sure how seriously PJ ever was in pursuing him for the role. I never heard that he was cast, unlike these other people who actually were given the part and then a change was made. Connery never got that far.

OMG... Townsend would have killed the movies and put me off my beloved books too.
Good move PJ...

I thought Bernard Hill went after the role of Gandalf but was offered Theoden instead.

Gondor59, you're not alone - there were several film depictions that, while I appreciate and laud them for what they are on and in the film - did not portray the characters as I'd pictured them in my mind for the past 30+ years.

And before anyone bashes me - no, I would not have preferred Stuart Townsend, nor do I think that Viggo's Aragorn was bad. It was just different from what I'd imagined all those years. Hugo's Elrond is absolutely nothing like I'd pictured Elrond. Does that make his portrayal bad or wrong? Of course not. Nor did Liv's portayal of Arwen match what I'd imagined. But her performance will now represent to legions of fans what Arwen looks like, for them.

As for actor likenesses in the statues - to me, the stand-alone Legolas statue looks nothing like Orlando Bloom, and nothing like the Legolas I'd imagined since first reading the books. ("my" Legolas is dark-haired. But let's not start down that road again). But I still have the statue.

Aragorn at the Black Gates statue is gorgeous for it's detail. And that's all I really care about.

Last edited:
I also have some film representation I was not happy about. namely...

Arwen : Not pretty enough. Thought Jennifer Connelly would have been perfect.
Aragorn : Excellent casting but had always hoped during the casting process that James Purefoy (the Prince in Knights Tale) was perfect.
Frodo : Wasnt happy with Elijah and would have preferred a plumper actor.

Gandalf, Saruman, Theoden, Sam, Eowyn, Boromir, Denethor : Were all Spot on.

Regarding the statue. Likeness doesnt make or break a statue and the detail in this far outweighs any concerns.
Its says a lot that LaGoA is shipping first even though there are two characters to paint.

I thought the funniest was Vin Diesel saying that he should of been picked to play Aragorn, that he was made to play him. Hmmm Yea Ok..........

Viking28 said:
I thought the funniest was Vin Diesel saying that he should of been picked to play Aragorn, that he was made to play him. Hmmm Yea Ok..........

I kept picturing him as Aragorn all throughout "The Pacifier." He would have been maginificent in LOTR!!! :monkey4

Viking28 said:

He what .... :confused: I would love to read that! :sick :horror :google

I had no major problems with the casting but if I had to pick one character out it would have to be Sam. Sean Astin wasn't how I pictured Sam, both physically and how his accent would fade in and out throughout the films. It was a little bit distracting, but nothing major.

Back