Anyone good with cars? Got a question...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LChinoz

Super Freak
Reaction score
I got a 04 Toyota Corolla, and for two days it has been randomly bursting out a cloud of white smoke from the exhaust pipe, generally when I accelerate, but not on start up and not all the time. It would happen about every ten to fifteen minutes. When I first saw this, I though head gasket immediately :(. But I did a pressure test, everything was clean, checked coolant levels and they were perfect. No milky oil, so no coolant leaking with oil. Took it to my mechanic and he confirmed he is 95% sure there is nothing wrong with my head gasket, especially since it has less than 50K miles on it. The smell of the smoke is not sweet but it doesn't smell like oil burning. I live in a tropical environment, so doubtful it's condensation. Anyone have any clue as to what this is? The car is still drivable. No issues except some lag when the smoke bursts out.

Could be your piston rings, oil can actually get into the cylinder and combust giving you that white smoke.

:wave

i'd say if it's not a blown head gasket, it's probably the intake manifold gasket, either that's blown or you have a cracked head.

how's your transmission fluid?? do the RPM's jump when the cloud comes out?

Thanks for the help. Transmission fluid seems okay. I am not the best with cars but my mechanic said the transmission fluid is fine, except that it leaks on the fan belt. I will need to get a new belt eventually but it is not urgent.

Could be your piston rings, oil can actually get into the cylinder and combust giving you that white smoke.

:wave

Thanks for the help. I agree, and told my mechanic this as well. He said it could be the problem, but he needs to do a full engine flush before he can see if this is the case. As of right now, he sees very few problems with the car (except that I have neglected to service it for like 3 years...:horror)

i'd say if it's not a blown head gasket, it's probably the intake manifold gasket, either that's blown or you have a cracked head.

Thanks for the help. I also think it could be this, but a lot of the symptoms of a cracked head coincide with the blown head gasket as well. The weird thing is I drove it to the mechanic about 30 minutes away yesterday and there was no issue, no white smoke at all. The only thing different I did was not run the A/C. I don't know why I didn't but I doubt that could have anything to do with the problem.

image.php
"Oh yeah, dance for me!"
image.php

Creep. :naughty

wasn't the toyota corolla recalled??? she's probably gonna blow any day now.

Fortunately the Corolla is not part of the recall. I've had her for like 7 years with no problems...bought her brand spanking new with less than 5 miles on it. I really hope to get a good 10 more years out of this car.

As other have said, the gasket is prolly fine, but a possible cracked head.

Blue tinted smoke would be oil from rings and such.

And Bynes is HOT, but don't let her open her mouth unless you fill it :monkey1

Weird, never hurts to put some fuel injector cleaner. Are you burning motor oil? Try and check the valve cover gasket and spark plug. See if oil is leaking and going to the spark plugs. Could be just deposits in your engine that needs cleaning.

Toyota is still #1 in my book!

Represent Lexus IS350!:rock

Last edited:
Weird, never hurts to put some fuel injector cleaner. Are you burning motor oil? Try and check the valve cover gasket and spark plug. See if oil is leaking and going to the spark plugs. Could be just deposits in your engine that needs cleaning.

Toyota is still #1 in my book!

Represent Lexus IS350!:rock

I do love my Toyota too, never gave me problems until now. Well today after work I am going to pick up my car from my mechanic. $130 for general service and flushing of the engine. He did all the tests he could without actually opening up the engine. No oil leaks, no coolant leaks. Said everything should be good to go and if the smoke continues, try giving it a month to see if it goes away. Again, he found no problems whatsoever. At least I get my car back! If everything is fine and dandy, I will forever thank Ms. Amanda Bynes.

Back