Any vintage customizers out there?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DARTH-THRASHER

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the vintage Kenner 12" line, and wonder what might have been if this line would have continued. We really only got two figures from TESB before the line was nixed, those being Boba Fett and IG-88. I've always been captivated by the Kenner photos of the unproduced figures/outfits that were set to be released, but never were. The original Kenner line had its own unique style. The head sculpts matched the likenesses of the actors, yet were simple and left the rest to imagination.

A few years ago, I set out to recreate Luke in his Bespin outfit from TESB. I used the Sideshow Bespin outfit, and it fit the vintage doll perfectly. The accessories and boots were borrowed from the vintage Han Solo doll and the Hasbro Dagobah Luke. I was very pleased with the outcome. From there, I had the opportunity to purchase a real Bespin Leia prototype, which you can see standing next to Luke below (see 1st photo).

My latest pursuit is to recreate a Lando head sculpt that matches the Kenner prototype photos. For those familiar with the unproduced figures, Lando is the holy grail for 12" prototype collectors, since the head sculpt was unique and a dead-on likeness of Billy Dee Williams. To recreate this, I commissioned the head to be sculpted by a professional. The results are below (photos 2, 3 and 4)

The last photo is the goal I'm trying to achieve for Lando. It's from old Kenner photography (borrowed from a Steve Sansweet book).

:rock It's very cool to find a project that's so different from what is seen around here on a daily basis (not that what's done here is bad of course). I'd love to see more of your projects, Thrasher. BTW, welcome to the freak-show!

Very cool. I also collect vintage carded figures and proof material and loved the artwork on the packaging from back in the day.

The 12" vintage boxes were some of the best. I really like where are you going with these, good stuff.

Be sure to post more pictures and welcome to the site!!

More than likely because they have less detail, But these customs are great, and a unique idea.

Oh no, Viv. I'm not critiquing them at all! I think these are some of the coolest and most unique customs I've seen in quite some time. I was just thinking with Lando the SS cape would be too much. Of course the old proto just had what looks to be a grey piece of flannel for the cape, so in keeping with the simple products used in the 80's the Hasbro version would work better.... Luke looks great with the SS Bespin gear though.

Wouldn't some of the Hasbro 12" figs have better outfits for this kind of retro customizing?

I never cared for the Bespin Luke outfit that Hasbro did. I think they aimed for much of the detail that you see in the Sideshow outfit, but it turned out sloppy and the color didn't seem right.

I'm just getting started, but I'll likely have all the outfits custom made to match the originals as much as possible. If I go for all out precision, the ESB boots you see on Luke and Han will be the next biggest challenge.

I never cared for the Bespin Luke outfit that Hasbro did. I think they aimed for much of the detail that you see in the Sideshow outfit, but it turned out sloppy and the color didn't seem right.

I'm just getting started, but I'll likely have all the outfits custom made to match the originals as much as possible. If I go for all out precision, the ESB boots you see on Luke and Han will be the next biggest challenge.

:rock :rock Awesome! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Oh no, Viv. I'm not critiquing them at all! I think these are some of the coolest and most unique customs I've seen in quite some time. I was just thinking with Lando the SS cape would be too much. Of course the old proto just had what looks to be a grey piece of flannel for the cape, so in keeping with the simple products used in the 80's the Hasbro version would work better.... Luke looks great with the SS Bespin gear though.

I agree... the Sideshow cape would be too much. Unfortunately, Hasbro doesn't offer much more in this area. The Lando cape is like shimmering gold on the inside.

I agree its a bit sloppy, I think the fact they used material that was to way to thick for the detail they were trying to achieve was a big factor in that. Hasbro cut a lot of corners on the 12" Star Wars line when it came to clothing that they didnt cut on their 12" GI Joe figures. probably trying to offset licensing costs.

There was to much cost cutting on the Star Wars line unfortunately, they were using 1992 GI Joe in 96 when by that time they moved GI Joe on to better bodies, and when Hasbro started putting the Star Wars stuff on better bodies, GI Joe had already moved on again to the SA bodies.:banghead

And lets not even bring up those sorry excuse for jack boots (any shoe fits any foot).:D

Don't worry, I dint think you were at all.:lol

You can always PM me some reference pics if you wanted me to look into doing outfits for them.

The Weequay outfits look fantastic! What other outfits have you done? The vintage figures would require something a little more eloqent, and not as rugged :D

The Weequay outfits look fantastic! What other outfits have you done? The vintage figures would require something a little more eloqent, and not as rugged :D

Heres the finished version with pants and shirt that I made to go with him. I don't know what you mean by rugged,
but the vintage styled outfit for any character would be less than half the work that one of these takes.:monkey5

DSCF6695.jpg

The rest of the pics can be seen here:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2335325&postcount=157

Back